Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Pa. Officials Address Several Issues Surrounding Unemployment Claims, Benefits

SPONSOR:  

Pa. officials address several issues surrounding unemployment claims, benefits

Pa. officials address several issues surrounding unemployment claims, benefits

By: Christine D'Antonio
Updated: May 28, 2020 - 6:31 PM

The number of people losing their jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic continues to climb – 2.1 million Americans applied for jobless benefits in the last week.

In Pennsylvania, people are still having trouble getting their benefits. In a town hall Thursday, officials with the Pa. Labor and Industry Department addressed several pressing issues regarding staffing, unemployment payments and fraud.

Have questions about the spread of the coronavirus? We have an entire section dedicated to coverage of the outbreak. CLICK HERE for more.

“Unfortunately, there are frustrations. There are delays; it’s just the overwhelming numbers we’re working with,” said Jerry Oleksiak, secretary of the department.

The first problem, Oleksiak said, stems from having enough people to process the claims as the state went from staffing for record-low unemployment to surpassing the all-time record for unemployment claims in the three weeks after COVID-19 popped up.

The state is currently at 2.3 million claims.

Oleksiak said the department beefed up its numbers – going from 770 employees to nearly 1,400 – by pulling 100 people out of retirement and shifting 300 from other state agencies to fill the gaps.

“We have done all we can to improve our customer service. Our unemployment compensation staff has worked over 90,000 overtime hours,” he said.

Another issue Pa. officials said every U.S. state is facing has to do with fraud, specifically those filing under pandemic unemployment assistance.

While the state investigates stolen identity cases, everyone who is filing on a PUA will now be getting paper checks, at least temporarily.

Another question brought up involved overpayment, especially with PPP loans.

State officials said your best bet is to try to use its website as the fastest way to get help. If you don’t have access to the internet and need to call, officials said try at the end of the week when call volume is lower.

Below is a statement from state officials regarding cases of PUA scams and what you can do:

"Recently attempted COVID-19 PUA scams were uncovered here in Pennsylvania. Our anti-fraud division has done a thorough job of matching the suspect claims against IP addresses, routing numbers, and accounts known or suspected to be part of this scam in other states. In an effort to protect against fraudulent activity, and like many other states, we are flagging payments on these suspect claims pending an investigation. If claimants are seeing “Investigation Case, Special Project” it means the department is reviewing their claim.

Legitimate claimants who don’t receive a PUA payment this week should phone, 855-284-8545 (M-F, 8 AM to 3 PM) or email ucpua@pa.gov.

The links below provide additional information on how to report suspected UC fraud or how to avoid scams."

On 5/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, mr.d said:

Oleksiak said the department beefed up its numbers – going from 770 employees to nearly 1,400 – by pulling 100 people out of retirement and shifting 300 from other state agencies to fill the gaps.

I realize they are probably overwhelmed however 770 employees plus 100 plus 300 doesn't even come close to "nearly" 1400. 

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

22 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

the Pa UC system sucks on their best days

:cheers:

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

Are you advocating defying the governor's shutdown order and going to work? Or are you suggesting that those thrown out of work should just grin and bear it? Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us?

1 minute ago, conservativeman633 said:

the trick might be to never use the UC system in the first place....

Unlike yourself Mr High and Mighty Pompous *** many people had no choice but to depend on the UC system that our Governor failed to fix two years ago like he promised. Now people are suffering because of his arrogance and ignorance. But what do you care......

You wrote: "the trick might be to never use the UC system in the first place.... "

I wrote: "Are you advocating defying the governor's shutdown order and going to work? Or are you suggesting that those thrown out of work should just grin and bear it? "

You wrote: "Why would anyone want to do as you are asking??? "

Where in that did I ask anyone to do anything? It is you who seem to be asking folks to "...never use the UC system in the first place". My questions were intended to point out while there are alternatives to collecting unemployment, those alternatives are rather grim.  Either you are being deliberately obtuse or your reading comprehension has hit new low.

19 hours ago, NikonSniper said:

Unlike yourself Mr High and Mighty Pompous *** many people had no choice but to depend on the UC system that our Governor failed to fix two years ago like he promised. Now people are suffering because of his arrogance and ignorance. But what do you care......

TA DAH

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

18 hours ago, rnetzlof said:

You wrote: "the trick might be to never use the UC system in the first place.... "

I wrote: "Are you advocating defying the governor's shutdown order and going to work? Or are you suggesting that those thrown out of work should just grin and bear it? "

You wrote: "Why would anyone want to do as you are asking??? "

Where in that did I ask anyone to do anything? It is you who seem to be asking folks to "...never use the UC system in the first place". My questions were intended to point out while there are alternatives to collecting unemployment, those alternatives are rather grim.  Either you are being deliberately obtuse or your reading comprehension has hit new low.

Key words "might" and "seem"...……….

I was referring more to the age old idea of "being prepared", or"determined", or the thousand other alternatives....just a thought(s) since I was seeing so much negativity about the UE system, etc.....