GoDuBois.com

Built my Mother a raised garden bed

Pappy

It was a bit pricey but I wanted to make it because I liked the look and most likely will remake my whole garden  with these type of raised beds because I am lazy and do not like to bend down and plant haha

For those wondering this is good way to fill your raised gardens without using as much soil. It is called Hugelkultur Style Raised Bed. I did this and then added soil that her neighbor had dug out the bank he was clearing. I asked him for a couple buckets worth which I used about three or four wheelbarrows of it.

Then I added mushroom compost and then a big bag of potting soil mix with fertilizer.

When I plant the beds I will update with pics and also how well it or does or doesn't produce.

The only issue will be keeping the soil moist. We will see how this will work out.

Before putting the bed in place I took a mattock and removed the top layer of grass and then laid down some weed barrier cloth.

Stay tuned!:popcorn:

Edit. well it seems to have started my pics from last to first. Oh well.

6.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

3 hours ago, Gator11 said:

It was a bit pricey but I wanted to make it because I liked the look and most likely will remake my whole garden  with these type of raised beds because I am lazy and do not like to bend down and plant haha

For those wondering this is good way to fill your raised gardens without using as much soil. It is called Hugelkultur Style Raised Bed. I did this and then added soil that her neighbor had dug out the bank he was clearing. I asked him for a couple buckets worth which I used about three or four wheelbarrows of it.

Then I added mushroom compost and then a big bag of potting soil mix with fertilizer.

When I plant the beds I will update with pics and also how well it or does or doesn't produce.

The only issue will be keeping the soil moist. We will see how this will work out.

Before putting the bed in place I took a mattock and removed the top layer of grass and then laid down some weed barrier cloth.

Stay tuned!:popcorn:

Edit. well it seems to have started my pics from last to first. Oh well.

6.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

We just built three with hoop houses on top.  Be sure to add native soil, small rocks and all to provide the micronutrients to the plants.  About 1/3 of the growing medium should be plain old Pennsylvania soil.  You can sift it to some degree but only for the big stuff.

Mine is filled with old wood, charcoal, cardboard boxes, wood chips and finally on top, well broken down wood chips and a bale of ProMix for lightness.  On top I'll turn in the native soil, some coffee grounds and wood ash, and worm castings, do a Penn State Soil Test and go from there.

Also, the beds were made with rough sawn hickory from an Amish sawmill.  

Planted the raised garden on Monday most of iy but I needed tomatoes and got them on Tuesday and planted them. I went with square foot gardening. We will see how it turns out. I added vermiculite to help keep in the moisture and then for added measure put some straw on top as well. Hopefully this will help keep the garden from drying up to much.m

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

Planted the raised garden on Monday most of it but I needed tomatoes, cabbage and carrots and got them on Tuesday and planted them. I went with square foot gardening.

We will see how it turns out. I added vermiculite to help keep in the moisture and then for added measure put some straw on top as well. Hopefully this will help keep the garden from drying up to much.

In this small area I have onions, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and celery.

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

• 2 months later...