GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Aunt Jemima To Remove Image From Packaging And Remame Brand

SPONSOR:  

Aunt Jemima to remove image from packaging and rename brand

Quaker Oats announced it will replace and rename its breakfast brand Aunt Jemima, which has been accused of perpetuating a racial stereotype.

aunt-jemima-today-main-200616_e5525e740a Samantha Kubota / TODAY

/ Source: TODAY
By Samantha Kubota

The breakfast brand Aunt Jemima is removing its logo and will be renamed, amid public outcry that the branding perpetuated a racist stereotype, its parent company said Wednesday.

Quaker Oats said in a statement that the longtime brand will remove the controversial image of Aunt Jemima from its line of maple syrups, pancake mixes and other foods starting at the end of 2020, and the name change will happen at a later date.

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a statement to NBC News. "While work has been done over the years to update the brand in a manner intended to be appropriate and respectful, we realize those changes are not enough.”

Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, owns the Aunt Jemima brand, which has been around for more than 130 years.

“We acknowledge the brand has not progressed enough to appropriately reflect the confidence, warmth and dignity that we would like it to stand for today,” Kroepfl said.

“We are starting by removing the image and changing the name. We will continue the conversation by gathering diverse perspectives from both our organization and the Black community to further evolve the brand and make it one everyone can be proud to have in their pantry.”

The rebrand comes after “Aunt Jemima” became a trending topic on Twitter Tuesday, with many users criticizing the company for maintaining the name and logo for so long.

y’all are just finding out about aunt jemima?

View image on Twitter

There’s no way y’all looked at a Aunt Jemima box and had no inklings of racism. There’s no way. https://twitter.com/raiaah_/status/1272671506645082112 

Mrs. Butterworth has just filed a federal lawsuit against the manufacturer for using the likeness of the name "Mrs. Butterworth's".

1) "Take off is optional....landing is mandatory"

2)  The secret to a long life is you try not to shorten it.

My first grandchild named me "Mammy" and all of the other grandchildren and great grandchildren are calling me the same.

I loved it because of the image in my mind of a woman who desperately loved the children and family for whom she served.  She would have died for them out of love.  She had no earthly reason because her family and friends had been persecuted by other families, but she loved her family anyway and they loved her.  She was treated as an equal and was even given a pension and a place to live when she was too old to work. Her medical bills were covered by the family and they continued to come to visit her throughout the rest of her life.  When she died, she was buried in the family plot.  Was she a black slave?  Possibly in the beginning, but her heart, values and behavior made her free.

It's my image and I love it!  Complete unquestioning love.  Now to teach others the proper way to do it.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, mr.d said:

Aunt Jemima to remove image from packaging and rename brand

Quaker Oats announced it will replace and rename its breakfast brand Aunt Jemima, which has been accused of perpetuating a racial stereotype.

aunt-jemima-today-main-200616_e5525e740a Samantha Kubota / TODAY

/ Source: TODAY
By Samantha Kubota

The breakfast brand Aunt Jemima is removing its logo and will be renamed, amid public outcry that the branding perpetuated a racist stereotype, its parent company said Wednesday.

Quaker Oats said in a statement that the longtime brand will remove the controversial image of Aunt Jemima from its line of maple syrups, pancake mixes and other foods starting at the end of 2020, and the name change will happen at a later date.

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a statement to NBC News. "While work has been done over the years to update the brand in a manner intended to be appropriate and respectful, we realize those changes are not enough.”

Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, owns the Aunt Jemima brand, which has been around for more than 130 years.

“We acknowledge the brand has not progressed enough to appropriately reflect the confidence, warmth and dignity that we would like it to stand for today,” Kroepfl said.

“We are starting by removing the image and changing the name. We will continue the conversation by gathering diverse perspectives from both our organization and the Black community to further evolve the brand and make it one everyone can be proud to have in their pantry.”

The rebrand comes after “Aunt Jemima” became a trending topic on Twitter Tuesday, with many users criticizing the company for maintaining the name and logo for so long.

y’all are just finding out about aunt jemima?

View image on Twitter

There’s no way y’all looked at a Aunt Jemima box and had no inklings of racism. There’s no way. https://twitter.com/raiaah_/status/1272671506645082112 

Should have been done long ago...……..

19 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

well, there are many who feel racism cannot be left alone, and I am grateful for those people.....

What exactly is racist about Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth?  I knew as soon as I read the article you would be cheering. People need to get a life and worry about actual issues. Not what is on pancake mix and a syrup bottle. If a white person were on them I guess it would be because of white privilege right? Then people will complain about that. Pretty soon everything we see will be faceless because people are INSANE.

4 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

What exactly is racist about Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth? I knew as soon as I read the article you would be cheering.

For some reason I think getting rid of Aunt Jemima is racist. If a white person is on a product is that racist? I guess I don't understand. 

I think they oughta put a mask on her and let her sit on the table. Everyone would be safe from everything she may have, if she has a mask on.

Way too many people are WAAAY to STOOOOOPID

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

Should have been done long ago...……..

Also should be done with Cracker Jack , I am very offended by that name and the character on the box , you should be too

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

41 minutes ago, jeeper401 said:

Also should be done with Cracker Jack , I am very offended by that name and the character on the box , you should be too

How about Cracker Barrell. That could be making fun of white people. Blacks call whites cracker at times. Should I be offended and want the name changed? Heck let's just get rid of the word cracker. Call saltines flat crunchy squares.

5 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

How about Cracker Barrell. That could be making fun of white people. Blacks call whites cracker at times. Should I be offended and want the name changed? Heck let's just get rid of the word cracker. Call saltines flat crunchy squares.

Gotta get rid of Frackers first.

O wait, that's a whole different fear that we HAVE to FEAR.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

3 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

What exactly is racist about Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth?  I knew as soon as I read the article you would be cheering. People need to get a life and worry about actual issues. Not what is on pancake mix and a syrup bottle. If a white person were on them I guess it would be because of white privilege right? Then people will complain about that. Pretty soon everything we see will be faceless because people are INSANE.

The brand's origin and logo is based off the song "Old Aunt Jemima" from a minstrel show performer and reportedly sung by slaves, and so forth without getting into it all.

Many Americans consider racism an "actual issue" , not "insane"......

"Whites are not victims of racism against them in America...…….. "

Try being of German ancestry during World War 2.

Recall "no Irish need apply" in an earlier era.

Tell me again about whites  not being victims. Oh, I forgot. German and Irish are nationalities, not races, so of course they weren't victims of racism, but nationalityism, which is nothing compared to racism. So glad I figured that out.

9 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

The brand's origin and logo is based off the song "Old Aunt Jemima" from a minstrel show performer and reportedly sung by slaves, and so forth without getting into it all.

Many Americans consider racism an "actual issue" , not "insane"......

Will church's stop singing several hymns that where sung by slaves?  Amazing Grace is probably the most popular.  When do we expect to find the bottom of this slippery slope?

This former MP just claimed Coco Pops are racist and no one knows what to think

Posted  by indy100 staff in news
UPVOTE

untitled-design-2020-06-16t093900.285.jp
Kelloggs/indy100

Former Labour Party MP Fiona Onasanya has called out the use of a monkey in advertising popular cereal brand, Coco Pops.

Onasanya took to Twitter on Monday evening to discuss the difference between how Coco Pops and Rice Krispies are advertised – the brown-coloured cereal with a monkey and the white coloured cereal with “three white boys”.

Onasanya also pointed out John Harvey Kellogg’s history in co-founding the Race Betterment Foundation – an organisation concerned about “race degeneracy” and the promotion of eugenics.

It’s true that Kellogg devoted the last 30 years of his life to the cause of eugenics – where an entirely discredited belief in white superiority in genetics was a commonly understood central tenet.

It was largely debunked as a "science" through its association with Nazism.

Some people agreed with the former MP’s views:

While others distanced themselves from the argument:

And even called it "ridiculous":

People also pointed out the use of the monkey on white Coco Pops boxes, as well as the use of the three boys on Coco Krispies

Kelloggs is yet to publicly comment on Onasanya’s tweets.

More AboutCoco Pops                                                                                                                       SEE TWEETS AND PICTURES    ;   https://www.indy100.com/article/fiona-onasanya-coco-pops-rice-krispies-monkey-racist-9568041