GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Guinness World Records Posthumously Awards Jessi Combs Land Speed Mark After Fatal Attempt

SPONSOR:  

Published

Guinness World Records posthumously awards Jessi Combs land speed mark after fatal attempt

The automotive TV personality was driving the jet-powered North American Eagle across Oregon’s Alvord Desert in 2019 when it hit a rock and crashed.

Race car driver Jessi Combs dies in crash during attempt to break land-speed record

Race car driver and TV personality Jessi Combs returned to Oregon with hopes of breaking her own record. Approximately 6 years ago she broke the women’s land speed record. Tragically, her record breaking attempt turned fatal. She died in a crash that is now being investigated.

Guinness World Records has posthumously awarded Jessi Combs the fastest land speed mark by a woman following her death during an attempt to break it last year.

The automotive TV personality was driving the jet-powered North American Eagle across Oregon’s Alvord Desert on Aug. 27, 2019, when the vehicle hit a rock and broke a wheel at 550 mph, causing it to lose control and burst into flames as it crashed.

Jessi-Combs.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

(Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Combs had just completed the second of two runs in opposite directions required for the official record, which Guinness has verified at 522.783 mph.

It marks the first time a new record has been set since Kitty O'Neil hit 512 mph at the same location in 1976.                                                                                         https://www.foxnews.com/auto/guinness-jessi-combs-world-land-speed-record

1 hour ago, mr.d said:
Published

Guinness World Records posthumously awards Jessi Combs land speed mark after fatal attempt

The automotive TV personality was driving the jet-powered North American Eagle across Oregon’s Alvord Desert in 2019 when it hit a rock and crashed.

Race car driver Jessi Combs dies in crash during attempt to break land-speed record

Race car driver and TV personality Jessi Combs returned to Oregon with hopes of breaking her own record. Approximately 6 years ago she broke the women’s land speed record. Tragically, her record breaking attempt turned fatal. She died in a crash that is now being investigated.

Guinness World Records has posthumously awarded Jessi Combs the fastest land speed mark by a woman following her death during an attempt to break it last year.

The automotive TV personality was driving the jet-powered North American Eagle across Oregon’s Alvord Desert on Aug. 27, 2019, when the vehicle hit a rock and broke a wheel at 550 mph, causing it to lose control and burst into flames as it crashed.

Jessi-Combs.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

(Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Combs had just completed the second of two runs in opposite directions required for the official record, which Guinness has verified at 522.783 mph.

It marks the first time a new record has been set since Kitty O'Neil hit 512 mph at the same location in 1976.                                                                                         https://www.foxnews.com/auto/guinness-jessi-combs-world-land-speed-record

HMMMMM ???   Not sure I would agree.  The person should be able to do it without dying-----odd precedent to set, and it may also encourage others to do things too risky in order to make the records, etc, etc.....

9 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

HMMMMM ???   Not sure I would agree.  The person should be able to do it without dying-----odd precedent to set, and it may also encourage others to do things too risky in order to make the records, etc, etc.....

Combs had just completed the second of two runs

That means the run was over. Would a runner's time be disqualified if they died of a heart attack moments after breaking the tape on a world-record setting run? I think not.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

10 hours ago, Vader said:

Combs had just completed the second of two runs

That means the run was over. Would a runner's time be disqualified if they died of a heart attack moments after breaking the tape on a world-record setting run? I think not.

I don't think a heart attack  or running are a fair comparison to not being able to successfully do something dangerous to set a record. 

In this case, I don't believe being killed in the process is success. 

Why is the recorded speed less than the speed in the crash? 

1 hour ago, momtothree said:

I don't think a heart attack  or running are a fair comparison to not being able to successfully do something dangerous to set a record. 

In this case, I believe that it's a very fair comparison. What if the runner had a known heart condition? That would certainly make it a dangerous undertaking. Would that be grounds to vacate a record?

My analogy only pointed out the error of allowing one while disqualifying another simply because of an unfortunate accident.

As to your question about speed? If my understanding is right, it's because someone attempting to break a speed record isn't going to attempt to slow anywhere near the line (in much the same way that baseball players are taught to "run all the way through the bag"). So, while her recorded speed for the mark was measured at 522 mph, that doesn't mean the vehicle had hit it's peak at the line where it would have been measured by the electronic timing device. It was likely to have still been accelerating for some time after hitting the line.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

2 hours ago, momtothree said:

Wow!!!! I hope you sit down tonight and read what you posted

Why would you judge someone who passed away?????

3 hours ago, Dilligaf said:

Wow!!!! I hope you sit down tonight and read what you posted

Why would you judge someone who passed away?????

Judging what? 

I'm not judging a person. I'm stating my opinion on the subject of success.

Let's say I want to make the highest parachute jump and I die doing so, I wouldn't have made the highest successful jump. 

The first one across the finish line is the WINNER. All others are the losers including the person who crossed the finish line right behind the person who crossed first.

The lady deserves her win and it's too bad she could not not have seen what she won. But her friends did. Under the circumstances I would be proud of that.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.