GoDuBois.com

How are your tomatoes?

Petee

I finally have a garden in which I can grow a substantial number of tomato plants, and I'm sure that one night they grew about 4 inches. I tie them up regularly and thought I had missed some till I saw more that needed it.  I can't wait till canning season!  No more tin canned tomatoes!

Because of the deer, I grow in large pots on my porch. One was too close to the edge and the deer walked up and ate in anyhow! The others, I moved way back and now the chipmunk stripped three of all of the leaves. I have four left  and, knock on wood, they are doing very well! I was disappointed to have lost both of my current tomatoes to the animals and hope that your plant sale offers them again next year!

• 1 month later...
Just now, Gator11 said:

I have many tomatoes this year as well. Although I am a bit disappointed where I bought my tomatoes as I have many which are not the variety I purchased.

Oh no, was it us?  It's happened before.

Tomatoes are beautiful and abundant this year. I planted a new hybrid of Celebrity which is just loaded. I'm not sure what is going on with some of the others. I don't think I got the tomatoes mixed up and even if I did why do I have what are a little bit bigger than cherry tomatoes among the Rutgers, Box Car Willie and Abe Lincoln when I had no seeds for cherry tomatoes? I have to sort it out and just see just where they are growing before I can think of a why. 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, Petee said:

I finally have a garden in which I can grow a substantial number of tomato plants, and I'm sure that one night they grew about 4 inches. I tie them up regularly and thought I had missed some till I saw more that needed it.  I can't wait till canning season!  No more tin canned tomatoes!

I am now reaping the rewards of all the sweating and money we put into building the raised beds with hoop houses on top.  I think we will be adding more next year.  No pests, no serious diseases, no weeds, no back pain, and I can go through them to actually look under the plants for problems and pruning.  I am getting Okra, huge tomatoes and will be getting beets, cabbage and herbs.  The Marigolds and Calendula I added for pollinators and protection from invasives, are the largest I have ever seen.  Soaker hoses are the bomb guys!  I used a lot of broken down wood chips in the soil and a bale of ProMix with Mycorrhiza in each one.  I can dig through the soil with my fingers if need be!  I also found some amazing varieties of tomatoes.  For Cherry tomatoes I will now grow Yellow Pear and Cherry Falls.  For eating I will grow Green Zebra.  For slicing and canning, Doty Oxhart and Amish Paste plus a few others that I can't remember right now.  Next year, we're doing corn in a low raised bed to rotate with potatoes and cabbage.  Got a project to build in the spring!