GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
GoodDeal

Price gouging

Have you tried to buy the required masks? In March, I went to the local WalMart and bought 20 disposable face masks for $2.97( I have the receipts to prove it) Last week I went in and to buy 20 disposable masks it would cost around $20.00 and more! I asked a store manager and they said all their masks now come from 3rd party sellers! I asked about the Walmart brand and they said they no longer receive the Walmart brand masks. From $2.97 to $20.00+ Some companies are price gouging and getting rich at our expense! Anyone know where to get face masks without the price gouging? Hand sanitizer is another giant price gouging rip off! The government should be giving the masks out to help compliance! Some cities are doing this!

I'm starting to wonder if any of the mask/hand sanitizer companies are owned by politicians.....   TP is still pretty expensive too. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

What I have found on wipes and hand sanitizer are lots of unknown brands showing up in Walmart,  Ace Hardware,  Martins and many other stores. They are from Turkey, China, Asia and other foreign areas.  Reports of some hand sanitizers exploding or other unwelcome issues. Forget finding Purell or much Chlorox stuff. Where is it all going?

Try to find good gloves!  All of my suppliers are out.  i can get the from amazon or Walmart for 5x what i normally pay.  The employees here must change gloves several times an hour, it adds up.  People need to keep in mind the extra expenses businesses are seeing during all this.  Be kind when the prices go up, it is not always greed.  Supply and demand drives most pricing. 

14 hours ago, GoodDeal said:

What I have found on wipes and hand sanitizer are lots of unknown brands showing up in Walmart,  Ace Hardware,  Martins and many other stores. They are from Turkey, China, Asia and other foreign areas.  Reports of some hand sanitizers exploding or other unwelcome issues. Forget finding Purell or much Chlorox stuff. Where is it all going?

Nearly all manufacturers are experiencing supply shortages.  No one was prepared for the velocity that consumers were purchasing goods in March/April/May.  Inventory quickly eroded.  Production facilities closed due to cases within their work force.  The demand continues to be so high, they cannot produce quick enough.  Right now, many facilities are running at maximum capacity and are still 3-4 months behind.  

I just got off a morning call about peanut butter.  We don't look for that category to stabilize until early 2021.  The ones with a streamlined supply chain will win, others will quickly learn of their weaknesses.  

54 minutes ago, etsaunt said:

Supply and demand drives most pricing. 

Not enough truck drivers is the root cause.  If they can make it, they can't get it moved.  Paying a premium to get it moved is the only way, in some cases.

GOOD NEWS! The price for disposable face masks has dropped a lot on Amazon. A couple of weeks ago, a 50 pack would cost you over $25-$30 dollars or more! Now there are lots of 50 packs selling for around $10.00! Many are from overseas. Some are USA made but the cost is higher. Maybe we will soon see hand sanitizer brands that we recognize and trust!

Can of Lysol sold for $22 at California store as manager says low supply has increased the price

KSBW
Updated: 11:41 PM EDT Aug 1, 2020
 SHOW TRANSCRIPT

KING CITY, Calif. —

A convenience store is defending itself following complaints that it was possibly price gouging for charging $22 for a 19-ounce can of Lysol.

"The Lysol went up three times the price," 98 Cents Plus Store manager Abdul Mohamed said.

He said the limited supply of the product has caused the price to skyrocket.

"We sometimes have to cross the border into Mexico to get the product," Mohamed said.

Monterey County Deputy District Attorney Emily Hickok said they would look into the case. So far, their office has looked into 75 complaints of price gouging since the start of the pandemic.

"For the majority of complaints, we found that there was not price gouging, but that sellers had obtained different products due to shortages," Hickok said. "Even though some of those prices were surprising, when we looked into it the sellers at the retail level had acquired those products for very high prices. So it's not necessarily price gouging even though the prices seem very high."

Price gouging occurs when a merchant takes unfair advantage of consumers by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services during a state or local emergency.

California's governor has advised that the statewide protections against price gouging will stay in effect at least until Sept. 4, 2020.

The California anti-price gouging law generally prohibits charging a price that exceeds by more than 10% the price of an item before a state or local declaration of emergency. However, there are exceptions.

"If it's a product you did not sell prior then you are allowed to sell up to 50% of what it cost you acquire that product," Hickok said. "If a seller is not increasing their prices but just obtaining a new product that they didn't sell previously and they're obtaining that product for a high price and turning and selling it for a reasonable profit, that's not necessarily price gouging."

Mohamed says investigators have previously come to his store over previous complaints of gouging, but he showed them his invoices.

"I would invite anybody to my store and to ask me questions. We can talk," Mohamed said. "We have to work through this together, and I hope this situation is over soon."                      SEE VIDEO REPORT     ;    https://www.wtae.com/article/22-for-can-of-lysol-king-city-store-says-low-supply-has-increased-the-price/33490379