GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Gold Brick

Scissor Sharpening?

22 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

siccors are not really sharpened per se................they are adjusted,  much like a push-lawn mower from 1915

So how do you "adjust a mower blade". I would like to know because of been cutting grass for over 20 years and sharpen my blades daily.

That is done in really old reel mowers.  I remember my Dad running a fine file over them and then having to somehow adjust the blade because it was really old even then and had been sharpened too many times.  https://homesthetics.net/how-to-sharpen-reel-mower-blades/

I also have my grandmother's sewing scissors which have an adjustable blade.  Since she and/or her Mother came from Scotland via England, and she was a quilt and rug maker, I assume they may have come here with them.  They are adjustable.

https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5c71u-pair-richards-sheffield-england-scissors.html

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Thanks.  I learned more than I thought about sharpening blades!  I love posts that make you think and then research.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

n0-----I was referring to the non-motor mowers before WWI as I stated in an earlier post...scissors work the same way......

Non-motor mower blades are sharpened as well, and adjusted.  I already begged you to stop from further embarrassing yourself. You can't seem to help it.

Just now, conservativeman633 said:

sharpening those was a waste of time....but whatever.....

Takes my guy about 20 min a reel..... About a few times a year.  When I touch them up takes me about 10 min.  

1 minute ago, conservativeman633 said:

no----disagree, but go ahead....

Well I've worked on golf courses, ball fields, had my own landscape company...... Worked in Georgia and Virgina and NC putting in turf for ball fields.  So I have facts and experience over you.    That's how they get those nice stripes in stadiums with razor sharp reels with rollers. 

55 minutes ago, JimmyPete said:

Takes my guy about 20 min a reel..... About a few times a year.  When I touch them up takes me about 10 min.  

Well I've worked on golf courses, ball fields, had my own landscape company...... Worked in Georgia and Virgina and NC putting in turf for ball fields.  So I have facts and experience over you.    That's how they get those nice stripes in stadiums with razor sharp reels with rollers. 

3that is a different issue-------sorry, we are not talking about the same thing.   I believe you.

53 minutes ago, LFG said:

If you think sharpening mower blades is a waste of time, that only takes about 20 minutes. I’ve been arguing pointless BS with you for 2& 1/2 years

image.gif

I had no intention to argue anything, nor did I start an argument.  The argument came from others.  I was just making a staement of fact........if you did not wnt to believe it....OK

2 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

no----disagree, but go ahead....

Sharpening AND adjusting both needed. It is common sense, which we already knew you lacked. Same for scissors.  Perhaps you should try honing your intelligence level...oh wait you just need an adjustment!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://bestofmachinery.com/how-to-sharpen-reel-mower-blades/

While the blades of a reel mower are designed to retain their sharp cutting edges for long periods of time, they will eventually wear and need sharpening.

The key indicator that will tell you that it’s time to sharpen your reel mower blades is that you’ll notice your mower gradually becoming tougher to use.  This is because, while sharp blades will cut grass quickly and smoothly, dull blades will have difficulty cutting through grass and cause the mower to be more difficult to push.

One of the most common problems that can be incorrectly attributed to dull blades is poor blade alignment. Incorrect blade contact can hinder the efficiency of your mower causing you to think it’s time to sharpen your tool when all that’s really needed is a simple adjustment. 

Scissors

http://www.precisionsharpening.net/proper_care__adjustment_of_scissors

ADJUSTMENT

Adjust your scissors after lubricating them,or whenever they feel too tight or too loose. Proper scissor adjustment is often a matter of personal preference. However, a good rule of thumb is that when the scissors are held open with one blade at right angles to the other in the shape of a cross, the handle that is dropped will just barely move. To adjust a shear you need to tighten / loosen the adjusting screw as needed. Be cautious not to over tighten or over loosen the adjuster as this could damage the shear. Adjust the screw one click (adjuster type) or 16th turn at a time until properly adjusted.

Sharpening will either extend their life...or shorten it! Most scissors require sharpening every three to six months. [/quote

@conservativeman633 Just so you know, there are two types of scissors.
You got to love those republican scissors! :multistars:

==========================================

Here is a Republican pair of scissors

taxcut.jpeg

Here is a Democrat pair of scissors

demscissors.jpg

15 minutes ago, Pompeii said:

@conservativeman633 Just so you know, there are two types of scissors.
You got to love those republican scissors! :multistars:

Here is a Republican pair of scissors

taxcut.jpeg

Here is a Democrat pair of scissors

demscissors.jpg

yes---this is the commonly accepted folklore....

On 9/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, conservativeman633 said:

the suckers are the ones who bother to get them sharpened======adjustment only......sorry

well you are half right on this at the risk of hijacking the thread I will enlighten you a little and who know I may explain things just a bit off but I doubt it. There is a cutting bar on these types of mowers(hence the confusion I bet) and you do need to adjust this bar close to the blades on the reel. The reel type mower works like a pair of scissors. and scissors have to be sharp on one end. If not you wont cut anything at least not cleanly on important stuff like fabric. If that was the case you could just use two dowels rods right? NO

Having worked at golf courses  we used the reel style blades like the style below on mowers for mowing greens, aprons and they have gang mowers for tractors that use the same type of reel system  and sharpening was essential and is listed in all the manuasl and is on their websites on how to sharpen them. 220SL SL PrecisionCut | Walk Greens Mowers | John Deere UK ...

I still have a reel style mower like the one below and you definitely need to sharpen it. While adjusting it also essential you still have to sharpen the blades. You can't cut cleanly with a rounded dull blade. They still sell kits for sharpening these with lapping compound etc and they always have. The suckers are the ones who didn't sharpen and made the work twice as hard and damaged their lawns. Do a little research on the internet and you will get enlightened. You are never to old to learn and find out that you may have been doing something wrong for years. It is not embarrassing it is an enlightenment. Happy mowing Conman and hope your holiday was a good one.

ps

I used to mow a lot of grass growing up and I used reel mowers back in the late 60's early 70's and learned how to adjust this cuter bar and also sharpen the reel blades to make my job easier.  They should be adjusted so you could cut a piece of paper cleanly.

Great States 415-16

Sorry for the hijack :sorry5::tattle:

GoldBrick try calling your hairstylist or any barber to see where they have their scissors sharpened. I have used knife sharpeners to sharpen scissors the style where you just draw the blade across it.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom