GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

PA Considering New Bill To Make Not Wearing A Mask a Misdemeanor

SPONSOR:  

3 hours ago, allboys said:

I have come down with the flu ZERO times in my life.  Not even when my 4 year old had the flu (his dad, myself, and his 9 month old brother never got it).  I can count on one hand the number of colds my 17 year old has had in 17 years.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a cold.  Hard to spread what you do not have.  Side note, NONE of us get the flu vaccine.

My oldest on the other hand...2 colds a year every year, flu when he was 4, pneumonia every 2 years between 2 years old and 12 years old.  Child, highly contagious, and 3 people in a household with him never got sick from him and we didn't wear masks.  Go figure.  I can't say wether healthy people infect other people when it's a crap shoot that sick people infect other people.  A lot depends on a person's immune system, and you have no clue about another person on that level.  I'll concede your view point, when you consider other's view points.

I agree wholeheartedly about the strong immune system being a factor.  My strong immune system is why if I wasn't required to wear a mask, I wouldn't wear one.  I also recognize that even people with the strongest immune systems can get sick and can in fact be contagious without symptoms. My husband is one of these.  Often brings home various illnesses to our kids. When they start with symptoms, he'll say "oh yeah...so and so had that this week at work."   I'm interested to see if kids and teachers wearing masks in schools will reduce the amount of cold/flu spread this year or not.   For these reasons and the reason I stated previously on this thread, I understand the reasoning behind "healthy" people wearing masks.

I do consider other's view points. I have read varying viewpoints on this forum that have given me pause.  Two posters that I often disagree with, but learn from, are Cacao and Hipower .   What I find very interesting on this forum is many won't consider a viewpoint that is different than their own and will go to great lengths to prove themselves "right."  Which camp are you part of?

6 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

I agree wholeheartedly about the strong immune system being a factor.  My strong immune system is why if I wasn't required to wear a mask, I wouldn't wear one.  I also recognize that even people with the strongest immune systems can get sick and can in fact be contagious without symptoms. My husband is one of these.  Often brings home various illnesses to our kids. When they start with symptoms, he'll say "oh yeah...so and so had that this week at work."   I'm interested to see if kids and teachers wearing masks in schools will reduce the amount of cold/flu spread this year or not.   For these reasons and the reason I stated previously on this thread, I understand the reasoning behind "healthy" people wearing masks.

I do consider other's view points. I have read varying viewpoints on this forum that have given me pause.  Two posters that I often disagree with, but learn from, are Cacao and Hipower .   What I find very interesting on this forum is many won't consider a viewpoint that is different than their own and will go to great lengths to prove themselves "right."  Which camp are you part of?

Thanks MIM, I appreciate being included in your small group of people whose posts at least make you think about something, possibly in a different light.  To be completely candid, sometimes I post things that after the fact I'm not sure I would agree with me either.   :D

38 minutes ago, hipower said:

Thanks MIM, I appreciate being included in your small group of people whose posts at least make you think about something, possibly in a different light.  To be completely candid, sometimes I post things that after the fact I'm not sure I would agree with me either.   :D

I think that's the best part about the forum, seeing others' point of view and having the opportunity to learn from it. 

1 hour ago, MIM307 said:

I think that's the best part about the forum, seeing others' point of view and having the opportunity to learn from it. 

Agree that we should all learn something every day!  I hate useless bickering and banter that takes the place of something worthwhile.

The jump in Jefferson County may have been from the large number of employees who got COVID working at the marijuana greenhouse.  They were lax and paid the price, but they all went home, shopped, and spent the rest of their time with family and friends.  

If they had worn masks continually from the beginning, maybe none of it would have happened or much less.

I have pushed a good immune system on here from many years back and been pooh-poohed repeatedly.  It's time folks!

Do everything you can, not just one method, to raise your immune system. That includes diet additives, exercise, a proper diet, fresh air, and less contaminated substances in your system.

It's not something you can do once a week and succeed.  Genetics is part of the answer, but a daily regimen of health care and diet is also absolutely necessary.  In our contaminated world, where biotic poisons are all around and in us,  it's especially important that when you meet the enemy, you're prepared.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

look up the word "asymptomatic "

I'm aware of what it is without looking it up. If you taught English and I had you in both middle school and high school I may not be aware. Luckily this subject isn't in History. Still kind if hard to believe that works with this ever so awful virus. To many false positives. I know 2 people who work at the hospital who had to get to get tested due to temp readings. 1st test positive and test 2 and 3 negative just 2 days apart per test. Had they not been tested twice as a requirement they would have been labeled as asymptomatic. How many people are labeled this after only having one test. 

7 hours ago, MIM307 said:

I am in the camp you don't like. I consider a viewpoint and know it's wrong and I say it is wrong and prove it to be wrong.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

8 minutes ago, fedup said:

I am in the camp you don't like. I consider a viewpoint and know it's wrong and I say it is wrong and prove it to be wrong.

Um, where did I say I didn't like a camp? 

Assumptions.  And ya know what they say about people who assume...

Viewpoints are different than facts. 

Viewpoints are opinions. Viewpoints can be agreed/disagreed with.  Viewpoints can not be proven right or wrong. 

Facts are facts are facts.  Facts are either right or wrong. Facts can be backed up with evidence that gives validity and credence to the fact.

Many posters on here do seem to confuse their viewpoint with facts, though. 

2 hours ago, MIM307 said:

Viewpoints are opinions. Viewpoints can be agreed/disagreed with.  Viewpoints can not be proven right or wrong. 

Facts are facts are facts.  Facts are either right or wrong. Facts can be backed up with evidence that gives validity and credence to the fact.

My view points are backed up with facts.

Your post was simple to understand.

What you like and what you don't like from posters.

So I know, based on previous conversations, that you don't like my camp.

I can live with that and smile all day long.

5 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I'm aware of what it is without looking it up. If you taught English and I had you in both middle school and high school I may not be aware. Luckily this subject isn't in History. Still kind if hard to believe that works with this ever so awful virus. To many false positives. I know 2 people who work at the hospital who had to get to get tested due to temp readings. 1st test positive and test 2 and 3 negative just 2 days apart per test. Had they not been tested twice as a requirement they would have been labeled as asymptomatic. How many people are labeled this after only having one test. 

Those who have an agenda can't understand what the written word means.

Some ones favorite expert says " wearing a mask MAY prevent the transfer of the virus from one human being to another"

The so called expert uses the word "MAY" to dodge the responsibility of being wrong.

If he or she is such an expert, he or she would say " wearing a mask WILL prevent the transfer of the virus from one human being to another"

Shutting down anything or a whole country on the use of the word "MAY" is unacceptable. I don't care what degrees or expertise the person saying "MAY" has. The use of the word "MAY" provides absolutely no facts. It's just an opinion.

Nobody lives on the word "MAY" we live with actual facts.

No country survives on the word "may", it survives on actual facts, or dies with actual facts.

Maybe people needs to start believing in "FACTS" instead of opinion's and wishful thinking.

17 hours ago, MIM307 said:

It's all well and good until we (the general public in this case) blindly accept as facts, what is ultimately someone else's opinion.

I believe that is what we see quite often today, from supposed experts and many in the news media.  Here again my opinions, but I won't ask, or expect, anyone to accept them as facts.

I do not believe that people should be fined for not wearing a mask in public. That being said, I will continue to wear mine. I KNOW my risk factors involved if I contract the disease. I don't know those of others around me. The child behind me at the pharmacy could have just finished her chemo. I understand the instant pushback of those that think it is dumb. I railed against the seatbelt law when it first passed. I refused to wear it. "I will pay my fine!" I wore it for a while after a friend of mine who drove a little CJ 5 jeep, cloth top and cloth doors just like mine was riding with her husband on a hilly road. He swerved around a curve, she hit the door, the door popped off and she fell out. Luckily, she wasn't hurt, picked up the door, and ran down the road yelling " I'm ok!" 😳 After that, I buckled up in the Jeep. For years, I buckled when transporting my kids..."Car doesn't move until you are buckled up!" I was willing to risk my life over a "may" , but never theirs. Now I buckle because I finally got a car with that incessant binging that happens when I don't. My point is, many laws are based on "mays". The seatbelt MAY save your life..but not if you are never in an accident. A mask "may" save your life, but not if you or those around you have never been exposed to the virus. You just never know who has or has not. My approach with this has always been "be cautious because it IS out there." 

22 minutes ago, Sanibel said:

I do not believe that people should be fined for not wearing a mask in public. That being said, I will continue to wear mine. I KNOW my risk factors involved if I contract the disease. I don't know those of others around me. The child behind me at the pharmacy could have just finished her chemo. I understand the instant pushback of those that think it is dumb. I railed against the seatbelt law when it first passed. I refused to wear it. "I will pay my fine!" I wore it for a while after a friend of mine who drove a little CJ 5 jeep, cloth top and cloth doors just like mine was riding with her husband on a hilly road. He swerved around a curve, she hit the door, the door popped off and she fell out. Luckily, she wasn't hurt, picked up the door, and ran down the road yelling " I'm ok!" 😳 After that, I buckled up in the Jeep. For years, I buckled when transporting my kids..."Car doesn't move until you are buckled up!" I was willing to risk my life over a "may" , but never theirs. Now I buckle because I finally got a car with that incessant binging that happens when I don't. My point is, many laws are based on "mays". The seatbelt MAY save your life..but not if you are never in an accident. A mask "may" save your life, but not if you or those around you have never been exposed to the virus. You just never know who has or has not. My approach with this has always been "be cautious because it IS out there." 

Very well said.  Thank-you

49 minutes ago, Sanibel said:

Ok---but when you risk the lives of OTHERS it is a diff. story, right ??

15 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

Ok---but when you risk the lives of OTHERS it is a diff. story, right ??

Yes, but you have to see both sides, conman. Risks don't occur in a vacuum. Like I said, I KNOW my risks. I have to make an effort to mitigate them also. I can't expect those around me to protect me. You can't bully people into wearing a mask and you can't legislate them into it. All you can do is present your side. I have no doubt that this forum is full of good people. Kindness goes a long way to making your point. Bashing wearers or non-wearers doesn't. I honestly have not seen many people not wearing a mask in a store when the store requires it. If a store doesn't require it, I don't go there. My choice. Everybody has that choice.  

1 hour ago, Sanibel said:

Yes, but you have to see both sides, conman. Risks don't occur in a vacuum. Like I said, I KNOW my risks. I have to make an effort to mitigate them also. I can't expect those around me to protect me. You can't bully people into wearing a mask and you can't legislate them into it. All you can do is present your side. I have no doubt that this forum is full of good people. Kindness goes a long way to making your point. Bashing wearers or non-wearers doesn't. I honestly have not seen many people not wearing a mask in a store when the store requires it. If a store doesn't require it, I don't go there. My choice. Everybody has that choice.  

agree to a point.........laws can be made, etc.......public health laws exist everywhere....