GoDuBois.com

Ornamental Grass

THX

They should be cut in the spring. The dried foliage protects the roots in the winter in that it collects snow that keeps the ground from thawing and freezing. 

Little Zebra is quite hardy but pink Muhly is right on the hardiness zone border line. It should be ok with the warmer winters we have been having but I'd put down some mulch this first year. Purple Fountain grass is very iffy unless it is something other than what we usually call Purple Fountain grass. The common one is only hardy to zone 7 and possible but not probable in zone 6. We are zone 5. Good luck with it. 

Let us know if they come through the winter. My experience has been that the prettier and more colorful the grass the less likely it is to survive. I'm  sure that is some kind of gardening law if it is horrible and invasive you can't kill it but if it is gorgeous and you really want to see it grow it dies as quick as it can manage. A number of years ago Japanese Blood Grass (the picture) was so popular. It was in every store. Beautiful red grass. Very striking and a great focal point for any border or garden. Great when nothing else was in bloom due to its color. We tried it here, we tried it there and it didn't survive anywhere. I think we got it through one winter in the raised bed at the city building but the next winter killed it off. Miscanthus grasses however reseed everywhere. They are a menace! They thrive on weed killer and it takes a backhoe to dig them out. 

blood grass.jpeg

We wait till a frost and then cut ours back to about 2-3 inches tall.  They are beautiful in the snow till it gets heavy and breaks it down which makes it a mess to clean up in the spring.  Add everything to your compost pile, cut up into 6 inch pieces. You can add a little peat but nothing else so the mice don't think you made them a cabin for the winter.

I hope they survive for you.  Be sure to water them well till the ground freezes.