GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Standoff Brings Police, Coroner To Clearfield Home

SPONSOR:  

UPDATE: Standoff brings police, coroner to Clearfield home

by: WTAJ Staff

Posted:  / Updated: 

CLEARFIELD, PA (WTAJ) – A standoff that first started Wednesday evening, and continued into Thursday morning, brought police and the coroner to a home in Clearfield.

UPDATE: Christopher A. Kanouff, 48, of Clearfield, was charged by state police on Wednesday with multiple counts of assault, including aggravated assault. On Thursday morning the case was dismissed, with the reason cited as the defendant was deceased.

Kanouff-Christopher.jpg
KANOUFF, 48

He was on state parole for a 2018 guilty plea in Clearfield County on charges of stalking, terroristic threats, and harassment related to an ex-girlfriend and was sentenced in Nov. 2018 to 12 months to 3 years, according to online court records.

He was released from state prison on December 19, 2019, according to the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole’s website.

It’s still unclear at this time what sparked the police standoff and what transpired overnight.

First called sometime after 5 p.m., multiple departments and emergency responders made their way to the 800 block of Daisy street. They surrounded a home where a man reportedly barricaded himself in.

Clearfield County emergency dispatch says the situation is being handled by the Pennsylvania State Police.

The Clearfield County Coroner was called to the scene early Thursday morning.

This is a developing story… Stay with WTAJ for the latest.                                                                                                                                                                                  SEE VIDEO REPORT     ;    https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/standoff-brings-police-to-clearfield-home/

UPDATE: Clearfield man ran from traffic stop leading to police standoff, shooting

by: WTAJ Staff

Posted:  / Updated: 

CLEARFIELD, PA (WTAJ) – A standoff that first started Wednesday evening, and continued into Thursday morning, brought police and the coroner to a home in Clearfield. Police are now stating this as an officer-involved shooting.

UPDATE: Police report this all began when Christopher Kanouff, 48, of Clearfield, was pulled over for a traffic stop due to an expired registration plate. That’s when pole discovered he had an active probation/parole warrant for his arrest.

Police asked him to exit the vehicle when they noticed a black semi-automatic handgun in his waistband. Kanouff ignored verbal commands and ran down Daisy Street while pointing the gun at officers before running into his apartment on the 800 block.

Police used teargas at one point and say that Kanouff then broke into a neighboring apartment. That’s when police decided to take the suspect down.

Kanouff was previously charged by state police with multiple counts of assault, including aggravated assault. On Thursday morning the case was dismissed, with the reason cited as the defendant was deceased.

Kanouff-Christopher.jpg
KANOUFF, 48

He was on state parole for a 2018 guilty plea in Clearfield County on charges of stalking, terroristic threats, and harassment related to an ex-girlfriend and was sentenced in Nov. 2018 to 12 months to 3 years, according to online court records.

He was released from state prison on December 19, 2019, according to the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole’s website.

Police say the SERT team had made contact with Kanouff at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday night and continued until around 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Kanouff reportedly raised his gun and pointed it towards the police when an officer shot him. Kanouff died from the gunshot.

ORIGINAL STORY: First called sometime after 5 p.m., multiple departments and emergency responders made their way to the 800 block of Daisy street. They surrounded a home where a man reportedly barricaded himself in.

Clearfield County emergency dispatch says the situation is being handled by the Pennsylvania State Police.

The Clearfield County Coroner was called to the scene early Thursday morning.

This is a developing story… Stay with WTAJ for the latest.                                                           SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;    https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/standoff-brings-police-to-clearfield-home/

Lucky for Clearfield that he was white, or the city would be on fire.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

5 hours ago, busrolls36 said:

We all did! Thank God nobody else was hurt or killed because he took off all because of an expired registration card and expired license plate! 

He didn't take off because of an expired registration and expired plate.  He took off because he knew he was wanted and had zero plan to go back to jail.

9 hours ago, brandn18 said:

If he wasn't white, he would have been shot the second he pointed his gun at the officers (maybe before that).

And that's the way it should be.

9 hours ago, brandn18 said:

If he wasn't white, he would have been shot the second he pointed his gun at the officers (maybe before that).

I fail to see the problem with that. If you point a gun at a cop (especially when they are trying to detain you), you’re chances of getting shot are pretty good and they should be. I don’t care if you’re white, black, purple, yellow, or all colors of the rainbow. You’re “maybe before that” comment is ridiculous. Quit trying to stir the S$!? Pot. Get a hobby. 

1 hour ago, fedup said:

And that's the way it should be.

So why did this guy get multiple chances after pointing a gun at police several times over the course of the night?

I agree though, first time he pointed at the police..they should have made sure to fire first.

1 hour ago, Sambo148 said:

I fail to see the problem with that. If you point a gun at a cop (especially when they are trying to detain you), you’re chances of getting shot are pretty good and they should be. I don’t care if you’re white, black, purple, yellow, or all colors of the rainbow. You’re “maybe before that” comment is ridiculous. Quit trying to stir the S$!? Pot. Get a hobby. 

So why didn't the cops shoot?  Thier lives were in jeopardy...why let this guy off the hook and run?

They saw the gun on him before he ran and then pointed at them.  "Maybe before that": police fire as he soon as he starts reaching for his weapon.  Also justified imo.

You're telling me that these small town cops wouldn't have reacted differently if it weren't a local white boy?  Gimme a break.

Guest SMFH

1 maybe at 5:00 on a residential street there were innocent people in the line of fire?

2 maybe no officer had a clear shot?

3 maybe you have an obvious hatred for law enforcement and don't want to wait to hear all the facts?

30 minutes ago, brandn18 said:

So why didn't the cops shoot?  Thier lives were in jeopardy...why let this guy off the hook and run?

They saw the gun on him before he ran and then pointed at them.  "Maybe before that": police fire as he soon as he starts reaching for his weapon.  Also justified imo.

You're telling me that these small town cops wouldn't have reacted differently if it weren't a local white boy?  Gimme a break.

I may be wrong, but I'd guess they are all nervous about shooting anyone--I'd have to assume that most LEO would rather not kill someone.  The officer that fired--this may have been their first time to ever point a gun at a human being--let alone fire. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

9 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I may be wrong, but I'd guess they are all nervous about shooting anyone--I'd have to assume that most LEO would rather not kill someone.  The officer that fired--this may have been their first time to ever point a gun at a human being--let alone fire. 

I'd certainly be very nervous shooting someone running away and pointing a gun at me.  A hole in the back isn't a good thing in the public opinion arena.

2 hours ago, brandn18 said:

In the last few years, how many blacks have been shot in our tricounty area compared to white. I can think of quite a few white but no black come to mind.

4 hours ago, Guest SMFH said:

1 maybe at 5:00 on a residential street there were innocent people in the line of fire?

3 maybe you have an obvious hatred for law enforcement and don't want to wait to hear all the facts?

Did I not say that the officers would be fully justified in using lethal force as soon as their lives were threatened?  Idk how you pull hated of law enforcement from that.  Blue lives matter.

2 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

In the last few years, how many blacks have been shot in our tricounty area compared to white. I can think of quite a few white but no black come to mind.

Given the low population of minorities in the area, that's to be expected.

6 hours ago, brandn18 said:

So why did this guy get multiple chances after pointing a gun at police several times over the course of the night?

I agree though, first time he pointed at the police..they should have made sure to fire first.

You were not there, neither was I. So we don't know why. Same goes when a black man is shot by the cops.

6 hours ago, Guest SMFH said:

🍻

19 minutes ago, fedup said:

You were not there, neither was I. So we don't know why. Same goes when a black man is shot by the cops.

Fair enough.  Can't debate the unknown.  I hope these local police are able to be as forgiving with everyone they pull over.

22 minutes ago, brandn18 said:

Fair enough.  Can't debate the unknown.  I hope these local police are able to be as forgiving with everyone they pull over.

You just can't let it go can you?

Come hell or high water your gonna try to convince us that the police will shoot a black man quicker than a white man.

Going back to the original subject matter.....we're all lucky the situation didn't turn out much worse.  That being harm/death to innocent people.

1) "Take off is optional....landing is mandatory"

2)  The secret to a long life is you try not to shorten it.

13 hours ago, brandn18 said:

No clear shot? Felt the need to preserve life as much as possible? You think their first thought was.... hmmm we should let this guy run away since he’s white.

I think they treated him like they should have. The funny part is that you are arguing outcome vs color when you seem to try to project that you are above all of that. You are wrong. Black or white, he would be JUST a local boy.