GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Wolf Vetoes Bill To Let Restaurants Operate At Full Capacity

SPONSOR:  

Wolf vetoes bill to let restaurants operate at full capacity

House Bill 2513 would have ended a requirement that customers buy food when they purchase alcohol and would allow people to be served drinks at bars.

AP
Updated: 6:35 PM EDT Oct 16, 2020
 SHOW TRANSCRIPT

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) —

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed a Republican-sponsored bill Friday that would have let restaurants and bars reopen at up to full capacity, saying it would have jeopardized public health and safety.

It was the latest in a string of coronavirus-related vetoes from the Democratic governor, as GOP state lawmakers have continually pressed for looser social distancing restrictions and to revoke or modify other Wolf policies.

“Instead of removing mitigation guidelines and encouraging behaviors that increase the spread of COVID-19, we need to be focused on getting our children back to school, keeping our schools and businesses open, and taking precautions to keep our communities healthy,” Wolf said in a message issued with the veto.

Wolf also argued the legislation has constitutionality problems because it would have taken away authority from the governor during the global health emergency.

“This bill represents another meaningless attempt to change a necessary tool for fighting the pandemic,” Wolf wrote in the veto message. “These bills that do nothing more than seek to distract from our focus on helping Pennsylvanians cope and recover from this emergency must stop.”

House Republican spokesman Jason Gottesman said shutdowns and economic restrictions are not the way to fight the pandemic.

“People have had seven months to learn social distancing, mask wearing and proper precautions to protect themselves and their loved ones,” Gottesman said. “We have faith in the ability of not only individual Pennsylvanians, but in family-owned businesses, job creators and their workers to make the right decisions to keep people safe.”

The bill, which passed both chambers by wide margins last month, would have ended a requirement that Pennsylvania customers buy food when they purchase alcohol and would have let people be served drinks at the bar.

It also would have let taverns and restaurants operate at 50% capacity, or more if they were able to meet state and federal social distancing standards or erect appropriate barriers.

The Wolf administration currently allows restaurants to run at 50% capacity if they have certified they meet state and federal standards for mask wearing, social distancing and hours of operation.

Gottesman said House Republicans will consider whether to attempt an override when they return to session next week.                                                                     SEE VIDEO REPORT     ;     https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsylvania-house-approves-restaurant-capacity-bill-governor-wolf-veto-1602878800/34399541

26 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I'm definitely not going to. A vote for a Democrat is a vote to kill off the businesses, babies and life in general. I personally am not holding any responsibility in that.

I work with elementary kids.   I received a phone call saying if COVID increases a little more, Wolf is going to shutdown all of  Pennsylvania again.

WOLF ain't got it right, so far. No sense of trying to do so now. Just do the same stupid thing that didn't work before.

His voters will just blame Trump anyway. 

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

10 minutes ago, mollycan said:

I don't think anyone should even ask who you voted for let alone tell you who to vote for.

Agreed. No one should ask anyone who they voted for. 

The voter should be so proud of who they voted for, they would brag about it.

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

Any rational person would vote Democrat in November.   Wolfe has been a real leader.

16 minutes ago, mollycan said:

don't think anyone should even ask who you voted for let alone tell you who to vote for.

3 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

That is a bullying tactic used by somewhat deplorable individuals.....

So you admit to being a bully and deplorable. 🤘

2 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

Any rational person would vote Democrat in November.   Wolfe has been a real leader.

I vote for the person that is most aligned with my views.

Local democrats  have turned to the muck that the state and national leaders promote.

Local ones will be big losers this November.

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

Local democrats  have turned to the muck that the state and national leaders promote.

I have always felt that our leaders art all levels were, although never perfect, pretty good at what they do, with very few exceptions....

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Can anyone produce ONE fact proving that what he has done so far has stopped the virus?

5 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

I have always felt that our leaders art all levels were, although never perfect, pretty good at what they do, with very few exceptions....

Exception being Wolf. He is NOT good at anything he does...unless his goal is to ruin the economy. That he is succeeding at.

My guess is that if ALL restaurants and if ALL customers wore masks, then they could open.  Walmart was taking numbers for a long time to verify their numbers.  At least there you can walk a circle around a non-mask wearing person.  In a restaurant, another person walks directly beside you or waits in line right beside you and that makes me uncomfortable.  Granted, nothing is foolproof, but at least make an effort to work together.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

It was found that a higher % of masked people have contracted Covid than non masked people. Why aren't the non masked people giving it to eachother..because they are not constantly touching their faces and then touching other things and spreading it. I don't touch my face unless I have an itch which is rare. I keep my distance because I know the mask wearers touch their faces constantly. I see it all the time in stores. They are passing their crap on so maybe it's just the masked people who are the issue. Maybe to me it's gross when masked people are waking thru a restaurant cause they have who knows what all over that dirty mask. I need to start gasping and saying how rude to the mask wearers. Also, before  people throw a fit about my comment, don't dish it out if u don't want a rebuttle because this Covid deserving window licking nit wit is  gonna give one. 

47 minutes ago, Petee said:

My guess is that if ALL restaurants and if ALL customers wore masks, then they could open.  Walmart was taking numbers for a long time to verify their numbers.  At least there you can walk a circle around a non-mask wearing person.  In a restaurant, another person walks directly beside you or waits in line right beside you and that makes me uncomfortable.  Granted, nothing is foolproof, but at least make an effort to work together.

Restaurants are being safely operated at full capacity in other states by taking precautions that make it just as safe to eat out as shopping at your local WalMart or other retail  store.

16 hours ago, jaman said:

He has destroyed 45-50% of the small businesses in Pennsylvania. I see you really dont care a lick about the small business owners. 

saving lives versus hardship on some businesses..........it was the right call.

12 hours ago, allboys said:

Exception being Wolf. He is NOT good at anything he does...unless his goal is to ruin the economy. That he is succeeding at.

some would put the blame on National leadership that passed the buck to the states.....

11 hours ago, Petee said:

well said....

11 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

It was found that a higher % of masked people have contracted Covid than non masked people. 

This is false. Sorry.   It was spread through tweets.

Another theory was that the responsible people who followed guidelines were the most at risk------thus contracted the disease symptoms more readily......