GoDuBois.com
mr.d

PennDOT Announces Proposed Plans For Brockway Intersection

SPONSOR:  

PennDOT announces proposed plans for Brockway intersection

BROCKWAY — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has released virtual public plans for the proposed U.S. Route 219/Route 28 Intersection Improvement Project in Brockway Borough, Jefferson County.

According to a news release from PennDOT, the purpose of the project is to improve safety along Main Street (US 219/SR 28) in Brockway Borough. The project consists of realigning the portion of Evergreen Street north of U.S. 219, to form a fourth leg at the existing signalized intersection of U.S. 219 with Route 28. The existing traffic signal will be replaced to incorporate the relocated Evergreen Street and will include equipment upgrades which will allow for vehicular and pedestrian safety improvements. New sidewalks and ADA-compliant curb ramps will be installed at the intersection. Driveways along the northern side of U.S. 219 will be closed and new driveways will be constructed along the relocated Evergreen Street to accommodate businesses. The intersection of Evergreen Street with James Street will become a four-legged intersection to access the relocated Evergreen Street. 

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2022, PennDOT said in the release.

No businesses will be displaced as a result of the project, according to David Layman, project manager with PennDOT.

"At this point, there is no cost to Brockway Borough specifically for design and construction of the new project," Layman said. "There is a combination of state transportation funding and grant monies being used for design and construction."

Layman explained the estimated cost of project construction to be $2.1 million.

Traffic control will consist of maintaining two lanes of traffic, one in each direction during construction, according to PennDOT's news release. Flagging operations will be utilized during tie-in work. No vehicular detours are anticipated, but some pedestrian detours will be necessary to construct new curb and sidewalks. Access to driveways will be maintained at all times using short term operations, PennDOT said.

In accordance with Gov. Tom Wolf’s COVID-19 mitigation efforts, the plans display will be held online only. The purpose of the plans display for this project is to share preliminary information on the project’s status, schedule, design and right-of-way acquisition. PennDOT representatives along with design consultants will be available to answer questions.  

To access the virtual public plans, visit www.PennDOT.gov/District10 click on the "Public Meetings/Studies" link under the "District Links" heading, click the Jefferson County box, and then choose the "US Route 219/State Route 28 Intersection Improvement Project" tile. The project will be available to view from Jan. 25 through Feb. 8, 2021.

If you need translation/interpretation services or have special needs or have special concerns that require individual attention, contact Dave Layman, project manager, at dlayman@pa.gov or 724-357-2810.

Hopefully some of the $2.1 million will go to driver education on how to use the intersection when complete. 

1. Stop behind white line so system knows your there.

2. You don't have the right of way without green arrow when turning left.

3. If your car doesn't fit inline and your ass end  blocks the other lane don't pullout.

4. Don't direct other drivers. Let the system control the flow.

:bow:

#2 happens all the time at cvs at dubois and dubois....some days I really wish I had a piece of crap truck so I could teach them the right of way

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

Submit your opinion about Brockway intersection project by Feb. 8

Brockway intersection concerns
Posted on 

Brockway, PA – A proposed project on the Route 219 / Route 28 intersection in Brockway is looking for your questions, concerns, and opinions.

Anytime that PennDOT prepares for changes to a road or intersection in a community, they must allow for public comment.

However, because of COVID-19 concerns, there won’t be a public meeting held about the intersection project in Brockway.

Instead, they are asking that if you have any questions, concerns, or opinions, you will need to go directly to the PennDOT site, PennDOT.gov/District10.

Click on Public meeting/studies link under district links heading, pick the Jefferson County box, then choose US 219/Route 28 intersection improvement project.

This is only open for two weeks, Jan. 25-Feb. 8.

CLICK HERE to the direct link to submit your feedback.                                                                                                              https://www.connectradio.fm/2021/01/28/submit-your-opinion-about-brockway-intersection-project-by-feb-8/

move brockway drug so you can make it a nice straight 4 way....ta da simple

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

16 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

move brockway drug so you can make it a nice straight 4 way....ta da simple

Can you imagine the expense to the owner of Brockway Drug to do a thing like that?  I know that the owner has an argument that this new intersection will affect them and other businesses around there badly.  I know the owners of this business and all the surrounding businesses except for Sheetz and their complaints should be heard!   As someone involved in business myself, I understand and identify with them. I hope that something can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

1 minute ago, Polo said:

Can you imagine the expense to the owner of Brockway Drug to do a thing like that?  I know that the owner has an argument that this new intersection will affect them and other businesses around there badly.  I know the owners of this business and all the surrounding businesses except for Sheetz and their complaints should be heard!   As someone involved in business myself, I understand and identify with them. I hope that something can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Thank you for pointing out how this will effect businesses!  Ron and Kathy have spoken out numerous times against this proposal.  Bill's Place also has concerns.    I submitted comments on PennDot's page.  Not only will it effect access to Brockway Drug, it was also allow a very narrow and residential street  (Evergreen) to become a "main drag."  There's no need to do this to increase ease of access to BC3.  None.  Waste of taxpayer dollars. 

how is realigning that small part of a road and this new intersection affect them and other businesses around there badly?

you would think it would be better but I must be missing it.....

2 minutes ago, WMJ77 said:

how is realigning that small part of a road and this new intersection affect them and other businesses around there badly?

you would think it would be better but I must be missing it.....

MIM explained it above.  It restricts access, and will cause a narrow residential street to become a main drag.  Not needed.  Wastes a lot of money.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

12 minutes ago, Polo said:

maybe it would be cost effective to pay brockway drug to move and build it straight through....if they could buy out 8 properties at dubois and dubois to put in a cvs and change the roads, brkway drug would be cheep

but evergreen is already taking on that traffic...they just have to turn across 2 lanes of traffic 60' from the light which causes back-ups....how many new users are going to be going back there

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:

but evergreen is already taking on that traffic...they just have to turn across 2 lanes of traffic 60' from the light which causes back-ups....how many new users are going to be going back there

But do you know who lives in the first big house on the right on Evergreen where the traffic is being diverted away?;)

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:

People from Brockway avoid going the way you describe.  We either turn on Buzzard to McCullough to BC3 or take Main to 7th Avenue to McCullough to BC3.  This "improvement" will turn Evergreen into a main roadway, as people will use it as a straight access point to BC3, just as the individuals that requested PennDot look at this "improvement" intended.

In addition buying out the Brockway Drug  property might sound simple but where else in town could they relocate to?  There simply isn't a comparable property size wise nor with ease of parking that the current location has.

then close the evergreen road to the start of rocky grill parking lot, it is a nightmare  and traffic killer to try to cut to evergreen ...not all peole live in brockway...lol....be nice....and know the other rds to get back there

20 minutes ago, jaman said:

But do you know who lives in the first big house on the right on Evergreen where the traffic is being diverted away?;)

nope not a clue...must be someone that thinks they are important:popcorn:

59 minutes ago, WMJ77 said:

then close the evergreen road to the start of rocky grill parking lot, it is a nightmare  and traffic killer to try to cut to evergreen ...not all peole live in brockway...lol....be nice....and know the other rds to get back there

That's what the project is going to do. And as a result all Main Street traffic will be routed directly down the new connector to Evergreen in a very residential area. It will also mean anyone wanting to access the Drug Store won't be able to do so from North bound on Main St. Talk about a run around to get into a business.  

This entire project offers no improvements, creates more problems, and is a total waste of taxpayers dollars. 

1 hour ago, MIM307 said:

Joe Scarnati

like I said...lol

then shut off evergreen by rocky....come in the back way to get to their parking lot...block off anything beyond brk drug or bills place which ever is furthest back...everything else will have to come in the back way ....just make it a 3 way intersection

2 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

then shut off evergreen by rocky....come in the back way to get to their parking lot...block off anything beyond brk drug or bills place which ever is furthest back...everything else will have to come in the back way ....just make it a 3 way intersection

I believe the idea is to shut off evergreen at Main ST. No turns at the Rocky Grill.