• LOW PRICES
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

It's Time For Jeep To Stop Using Cherokee Name, Says Tribe's Chief

SPONSOR:  

It’s time for Jeep to stop using Cherokee name, says tribe’s chief

by: The Associated Press, Nexstar Media Wire

Posted:  / Updated: 

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (AP) — It is time for Jeep to stop using the Cherokee Nation’s name on its Cherokee and Grand Cherokee SUVs, the chief of the Oklahoma-based tribe said.

Chief Chuck Hoskin, Jr. said in a statement first reported by Car & Driver magazine that he believes corporations and sports teams should stop using Native American names, images and mascots as nicknames or on their products.

“I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car,” Hoskin said.

Kristin Starnes, a spokeswoman for Jeep’s parent company, Amsterdam-based Stellantis, said in a statement that the vehicle name was carefully selected “and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess and pride.” She didn’t say whether the company was considering renaming the vehicles and didn’t immediately reply to an email requesting that information.

Hoskin says the best way to honor the Tahlequah, Oklahoma-based tribe is to learn more about its history.

“The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness,” Hoskin said.

The controversy comes amid a national reckoning over the use of Native American names and images, particularly in sports.

After years of resistance and under pressure from corporate sponsors, the NFL’s Washington, D.C., franchise announced last year that it was dropping its “Redskins” nickname and Indian head logo and would go by the name Washington Football Team until a permanent replacement was chosen. Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians also announced last year that it would change its name.                                                                                                                      SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;   https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/national-news/its-time-for-jeep-to-stop-using-cherokee-name-says-tribes-chief/

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

I guess the goal is for all Indian tribe names to fade into obscurity.

Better ban the "Indian Reservation"  song too!

That's exactly what will happen.  Their history will only be known when and how they market it.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, jaman said:

So why are the Kansas City CHIEFS still allowed to use "Chiefs". Washington had to change.

Maybe Kansas City is in America.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

36 minutes ago, lavender said:

How does anyone have exclusive use of a word or name? The specific name of a brand or store is probably copyrighted but the rest are up for grabs. If I legally change my name to Joe Biden will I be in trouble? 

If you do change it, don't forget what it is.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

3 hours ago, lavender said:

How does anyone have exclusive use of a word or name? The specific name of a brand or store is probably copyrighted but the rest are up for grabs. If I legally change my name to Joe Biden will I be in trouble? 

You won't!! Besides who would want to.

6 hours ago, etsaunt said:

Well on a similar note I ordered my usual Franks Pizza order last Friday with a 2 liter of Cherokee red pop and was it is not available.  I guess they are in the process of changing the name and packaging.:duh:

Cherikee Red's parent company is Keurig/Dr. Pepper.  I have a few friends there and they're looking into what the deal is.  They haven't heard that it's name has been changed or anything.  They don't think it's been disco'd either.  Might be a supply issue...like everything else nowadays.  

According to San Jose State University in an article about the history of the Cherokee the tribe has no more right to the name than anyone else. Their original name as recorded by the DeSoto expedition was something unpronounceable. "The Cherokee become part of recorded history with the contact made with the tribe by the De Soto expedition in the sixteenth century. Although the De Soto expedition was Spanish its was recorded in Portuguese by a Portuguese member of the expedition, known only as the Gentleman from Elva. This man transcribed the name of the tribe as Tsalagi and this evolved into Cherokee."  It gets really tricky when you try to claim something that is part of the public domain.