GoDuBois.com

How are everyones tomato's doing?

Pappy

Plastic in the garden is one of the major problems with getting oxygen to the roots.  It can make the soil a sticky mess.  If the soil in your garden is retaining that much water then it needs lots of organic matter dug in.  Hilling up the rows will help with that too.  It allows excess surface water to run down under the surface while letting the top couple of inches drain well.

While we are advised that mulching with plastic can cause problems, this year it seems to have protected the roots of plants. At least this is what I have observed. Gator's garden is doing a lot better than mine. Mine is oriented across sloping ground and has fairly good drainage and certainly wasn't under plastic. I've observed several gardens under plastic that were doing well this year. In fact the only problem I have ever seen with it was the year it cooked my Brussel sprouts. It just got too hot. As always there are no absolutes in gardening as there are seldom absolutes in life.

If anyone is interested I posted the article I did for the Down to Earth Garden Club newsletter on the subject. www.downtoearthgardenclub.org  I don't footnote as the newsletter is only 4 pages but all the research comes from reliable sources or my personal experience. 

Zucchini are growing great.  Cukes ratherslow. Tomatoes.. well out of 6 plant we might get 6 tomatoes, think I am done trying to grow them.

Just out of curiosity what kind of tomatoes do you grow? There are tomatoes that do well in certain locations and not in others. I've had great luck with Celebrity. When I try to grow some of the more exotic ones, like the pyramid shaped one I grew one year, they often don't bear much fruit. 

Just out of curiosity what kind of tomatoes do you grow? There are tomatoes that do well in certain locations and not in others. I've had great luck with Celebrity. When I try to grow some of the more exotic ones, like the pyramid shaped one I grew one year, they often don't bear much fruit.

I love Celebrity too, we have lots of tomatoes, but a little on the small side this year. Cukes, that's anther story, not doing well at all. I'm blaming the June

27th wash out. Back to tomatoes, the red and orange cherry ones are doing great. Beets are also great. The beetles put a hurting on peas, sugar snaps, green and wax bean, I'm still cussing them!

I haven't had beets in about 5 years now. The first year of he great beet drought something ate the roots. After that I had terrible germination. Tried two different kinds this year and still nothing. Put the seeds in early while the soil was cool. I really think something has developed a taste for beet seed. 

I pre-germinated the beet seeds this year and gave them to my daughter to grow.  I just didn't have enough room.  I suppose I should check to see how they are going.  Their peppers that they grew in a lot of deck boxes took off and peppers popped everywhere after I gave them a dose of Worm Wonder. 

Now radishes!  I have a bumper crop.  I tried searing them in a little oil and they were fabulous!  Who knew?  Kind of like mild turnips or parsnips.  I have good hopes for the carrots too.

On the deck, I have beautiful tomatoes but I didn't plant large ones, and I have Sugar Baby watermelons climbing the trellises.  Dill galore!