GoDuBois.com

CCC Camp S-116-PA

fadedgenes

My father also worked at this camp. He was younger than most, his pay went directly to his parents to help feed his younger siblings. He learned rudimentary  masonry there, a skill he later honed and used all his life. Thank you for posting these.

Boy, times have changed.

I also had a father and uncle that worked at this camp.  The pictures are the best I have seen of the actual camp.  We presently own the private property behind and south of this camp so am very familiar with the locale.  Thanks for posting these valued pics.

I was surprised that my mother kept the photos all those years. He died in 1958 at 36 years, of a heart attack.   Dad is in the photo of Barricks 4, the guy with the curl of hair on his forehead. I printed on the front what was written on the back of each.  Somewhere in my papers I have the dates he was there.

Oh,for a return to such a self-respecting discipline which was to contrast the program which went on "over there".I don't pray for another depression...But our current admin may produce such a reinactment when frustrated,desperate,financially-strapped  powers again march against each other...

Those men usually didn't have a lot of food at home, and if they had extra they helped the neighbors.  It was lean meat, greens, and vegetables.  Carbs were harder to come by, and if they wanted extra to eat they had to work hard to get it.  NO TV!  I've heard that you burn fewer calories watching TV than you do sleeping.