GoDuBois.com

Hogan-Martin store

Guest carexy

Does anyone know where the Hogan-Martin store was? I read the looking back section in the paper and it mentioned a big Fall opening in 1912. Just curious as to where this store used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

What did the store sell?  Never heard of it but, you can look up old newspaper films at the library from clear back then to read some of the advertisements are pretty cool they mostly always have the address on the ad and some 2 and 3 digit phone numbers I am too young to remember 3 digit numbers and no zip codes, but its neat to reread the old papers, might find the answer there.

That's a great idea. The article I read was taken from the 1912 paper. I guess I will have to take a trip to the DuBois Library to see what I can find out. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where the Hogan-Martin store was? I read the looking back section in the paper and it mentioned a big Fall opening in 1912. Just curious as to where this store used to be.

I don't know where it was, but...

The DuBois public library has several old city directories which date from around "back then". You should be able to find the store's address there.

Also, they have a 1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map atlas. It may show the store by name. Look at "Specials" on the index page. At worst, if you get the address from the directory, you should be able to find the store on the maps. Ask at the desk for the location of the directories and map atlas.

The 1913 Sanborn maps are also available on line at: http://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/digital/sanborn.html

Bob Netzlof

You could check with the DuBois Historical Society too.  That's where I got the name of the hardware store in which I saw my first Santa, Fennell and Heberling across from the Brady Street parking lot on Long Avenue.

You could check with the DuBois Historical Society too.  That's where I got the name of the hardware store in which I saw my first Santa, Fennell and Heberling across from the Brady Street parking lot on Long Avenue.

I remember Fennell and Heberling very well. My dad and I went there many times for plumbing supplies It made a big impression on me when Mrs. Fennell knew everything about plumbing and stuff that I considered "mens" business. Also John Gannan Plumbing on Franklin? Street. Down by Hughes and Starr Dodge dealership. Also Shaffer's Wallpaper and Paint store on Long Ave. I don't remember a Hogan Martin store, maybe that was even before my time....

I'm 65 and I think I was about 5-6 the first time I remember seeing Santa there at Fennell and Heberling.  He had a seat right in the front window beside a pot belly stove.  With the old building smell and wood floors it looked like where you would naturally find him.

The Hogan-Martin store was at 61 W. Long Avenue.  It was eventually Turners for those who remember that.  It was located on the east side of High Street which is the area before you get to St. Michael's Terrace.

The Hogan-Martin store was at 61 W. Long Avenue.  It was eventually Turners for those who remember that.  It was located on the east side of High Street which is the area before you get to St. Michael's Terrace.

What did they sell? Turner's was a little step up from the other 5&10's....Lenordson's was the upscale store for womens's clothes. Troutman's was the general department store. Turner's had a basememt room on the alley where churches had rummage sales.

That store with the larger awning next to the Hogan-Martin store was Woolworths...I worked there as a school student and"floor walker"in the early fifties..My job was to report to the management anybody who was shoplifting..It was a shocking introduction to me as a kid about petty crime in DuBois...

Guest carexy

Wow! Thanks for all the information. I had intended to head to the Historical Society someday but this solved my mystery! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...