GoDuBois.com

Helvetia Photo's Anyone?

Borninabarn

No. I just know there are some very good websites where people post very cool local pictures and postcards.  

Just curious.  

I was born and raised in Sykesville and had some friends from Helvetia.  Our youngest daughter plays in the girl's softball league, with the field located in "Stanley Bottom" which is a "suburb" of Helvetia!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any pics of the main street where we can see the similar houses on both sides?   I used to visit my Aunt and niece who lived there years ago.  They lived in an old "company" house on the edge of town, and my niece's gram lived there, too.  It was a very interesting place, and I liked going there and hearing it's history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My grandfather use to work in the Helvetia mines... his nickname was "the big ingun (not sure on spelling). He was 6' 11" tall and 350lbs. They use to have contests to see who had the longest span right index finger to left index finger while spread up against a wall.... guess he always won by at least a foot and a half!

My Grandfather Steven Kruzelak was born and raised in Helvetia, started working in the mines around 7 years of age. Lots of history was lost in the fire. I lived there in the early 90's, loved walking around those hills. I now own a "Coal patch Double house" in Adrian Mines  (Delancey) I also have ancestors from here early 1900's  I love learning the history. A really neat book about life in Helvetia is...... From the Miners' Doublehouse: Archaeology and Landscape in a Pennsylvania Coal Company Town

My grandfather use to work in the Helvetia mines... his nickname was "the big ingun (not sure on spelling). He was 6' 11" tall and 350lbs. They use to have contests to see who had the longest span right index finger to left index finger while spread up against a wall.... guess he always won by at least a foot and a half!

wow, that must have been tough working in coal mine being that tall!!!