GoDuBois.com

DuBois Ghost stories

DRNeil

sure I will share the stories once I get them all gathered and put togather. I have heard several stories about ghosts of Interstate 80 along with some about a cemetary in Punxy and other places te DRMC and central catholic stories are interesting I am working on developing more info on those. The one about Luthersburg I am very aware of and have seen. However I wish to be careful with that  because the mother of the girl involved recently died and I know some who knew her are still in the area so I don't want to cause them pain. But once I have everything gathered I will share them here because this is an interesting part of the local history. I have heard some stories about Rumbarger Cemetary and the rail road line west of the city. But I am still researching and gathering data. I think we will find an interesting history from all this.

thanks

Dave

Just wondering how the stories are coming...

These are stories from my area, Camp Mt Run. I used to be told these scary stories while camped out as a boy scout there years ago.  ;)

In the mid-1800's. two brothers were traveling through the thickly forested woodland in Clearfield County. Presumably they were coming from the Brockway area and heading toward Clearfield, the county seat. In the afternoon, the two brothers and their dog stopped outside present day Penfield to eat lunch. They tied up their horses and sat under a tree. While they were eating, two men approached; It was the sheriff and one of his men. They accused the two brothers of being horse thieves. The sheriff strung up a noose and proceeded to hang the older brother; The younger brother was still claiming that they didn't do it. He began to scream for help. Their white dog started to go crazy and ran off into the woods. Meanwhile the other officer attached the boy's horses to his wagon to help carry the bodies back to Clearfield. Before the younger brother was hung, he said that his horses would never carry his body across the bridge. After finishing their business, the officers were on their merry way back to Clearfield. Soon they were upon the bridge {east of present day Penfield} that the younger brother had mentioned. As soon as they reached the bridge, the horses stopped. The sheriff cracked his whip to no avail. The horses would go no farther. The sheriff, and his man had to- remove the bodies from the wagon and walk the horses across the bridge. Then, they carried the bodies across the bridge. As they did this, they heard a loud howl. They looked around, then spotted the white dog up on a hill staring right at them... At least that's how Camp Ranger Charlie Snyder told the story. Charlie Snyder was considered by many as a master storyteller. He and many others have reported of sightings of the white dog, who is supposedly still wandering the area which is now Mountain Run. Mr. Snyder also told of a far greater danger that lurks of the lower part of the Brockway watershed and the upper part of Mountain Run. This is the nefarious Hodag. The Hodag lives in what is called Spook Hollow. No one really knows for sure what the beast looks like. Some sources say it.resembles a large bear that walks erect. Others say it looks like a cross between a huge horse and a moose. However, reports say that it has large piercing red eyes. It is said that at the end of the Spook Hollow trail there is a treasure of some kind that the Hodag guards. It could possibly be a shipment of gold that was being transported through the area during the Civil War. It was lost somewhere near or in Elk County. Besides problems from the Hodag, a would-be fortune hunter also faces the Devil's Racetrack. This is an area which is located deep in the woods past the gas line and presumably off the Camp's property. {No one knows for sure if a person wanders into the wooded impasse, he supposedly becomes trapped because everything looks the same from all sides. Once the poor soul starts to panic, the old guy himself, the Devil, shows up and chases the person around. He eventually overtakes his prey and kills it.

The tragedy of Hatchet Hands is like that of the Phantom of the Opera. He was born without hands. In order for him to be of some use, his parents shoved axes where his hands should have been. Since his parents didn't really love him, Hatchet Hands longed for affection from others. He often tried to hug people, not realizing what would happen when he put his arms (axes) around people. Many other stories are also told. They include a lost miner. This "Drifter" wanders around the woods. He pops up every so often to bother but not really harm people. It is also rumored that hill people who hate Boy Scouts live in the hills of the Brockway watershed.

Calvary cemetary in Punxsy is reputed to be haunted. The Gatti family once owned a factory there and had a son who died in the Flu epidemic of 1918 at age 19. The father had his son's bust placed on the grave marker. Then in 1936 his daughter died at age 30. The grieving father had a life size statute made of her laying in a bed placed on her grave. According to legend after his daughters death he would visit the grave every night and kneel there weeping until his servant would guide him back to the car and take him home. This continued for several years until the father went out on a cold snowy night stayed at the grave brushing the falling snow from his daughter. When the servant finally got him to leave the chill had effected him and he became very ill that night and soon died. It is said that on cold clear nights if you stand by the grave you can hear the father weeping for his children. I have attached pictures of the site.    

Awwww......

in brookville, the old phillip taylor house (which is now owned by a behavioral health agency) is said to be haunted.  my mother had experiences there while working there.

Any entities there now would then feed off the immense energy that is the byproduct of behavioral issues.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dodge knows as do some others on here. They relate yo a young boy by the name Johnathan who was found near the tunnel in the 1800's. he was from a very prominant family of the time and was found in the woods near the tunnel enterance. His spirit is not that of a scary pesence but more of a playful one. I can PM you the specifics when I have more time. There is also a dark entity there as well

Dodge knows as do some others on here. They relate yo a young boy by the name Johnathan who was found near the tunnel in the 1800's. he was from a very prominant family of the time and was found in the woods near the tunnel enterance. His spirit is not that of a scary pesence but more of a playful one. I can PM you the specifics when I have more time. There is also a dark entity there as well

Yes you are right about strange things going on there Marine. I personally watched a little boy walk beside the couple ahead of us and no one had brought their children.  ??) In another instance, a member on here was sitting in her suv waiting for us to get back from the walk through the tunnels, when she heard a child giggling around her car but there were no children anywhere near that area.  ;)

the child is shy yet playfull, so large groups usualy will not produce much evidence. Keep your groups small and keep talking to a minimum. Alot of people are skeptic and explain reasonings for everything but when they can't be explained thats when you become a believer. That tunnel has been the cause of death for seven workers during construction, and 1 work foreman during the molly mcquire times. Jonothan was known to play in the tunnel before death, he chooses to continue after.

The trip dodge was talking about was 3 went to the tunnels, I stayed in my vehicle.  They was gone for about 15 minutes, I was sitting there doing paper work, I started to hear a giggling noise, looked around and nothing, continued back doing paper work, then heard it more and louder.  The group did not return for another 20 minutes after I heard the louder giggles.  

Some said about going to a local cemetery, I know I went one day during the daytime then I ended up with car trouble -- but then it started.  Went back one time at night,  which was something we decided to do last second.  I only had my cell phone,  took a picture where there was something, but for the one who was with me I needed duct tape kept talking lol we only stayed for about an hour.

the child was of one of the original families of Sabula, the Osbornes. he accompanied his older brothers to the sugar shack that they had to the left of the tunnel enterance. as darkness fell he became scared and told the others that he was going to walk back home. His brothers told Him to stay on the path that he was familiar with to return back to the house. As morning came the boys returned home only to be questioned as to where the youngest son was. They told of the nights events and that he had returned home. A search party was formed by the locals and whent on through the night and again the next morning. On a third search of the wooded area searchers found the body of the child in some bushes off of the path. The body did not show any wounds leaving the locals to believe that the boy froze to death.

Calvary cemetary in Punxsy is reputed to be haunted. The Gatti family once owned a factory there and had a son who died in the Flu epidemic of 1918 at age 19. The father had his son's bust placed on the grave marker. Then in 1936 his daughter died at age 30. The grieving father had a life size statute made of her laying in a bed placed on her grave. According to legend after his daughters death he would visit the grave every night and kneel there weeping until his servant would guide him back to the car and take him home. This continued for several years until the father went out on a cold snowy night stayed at the grave brushing the falling snow from his daughter. When the servant finally got him to leave the chill had effected him and he became very ill that night and soon died. It is said that on cold clear nights if you stand by the grave you can hear the father weeping for his children. I have attached pictures of the site.    

:'(

• 4 months later...

I currently work in the CRC building for DRMC (old Catholic School).  I was working alone one Saturday and I heard someone knock on our office door.  I got up to answer it, but no one was there.  The lights in the hall are on motion sensors, so if anyone had been in the hall, they would be on.  They were not.  Really creeped me out.