GoDuBois.com

DuBois Ghost stories

DRNeil

When my mom worked at DuBois Nursing Home, they would often see the shadow figure of an old man on the security camera in the front entrance area.  They would be sitting at the desk and all of a sudden, there he was.  He always appeared to be leaning against one of the walls of the entryway.  He would appear at different times of day and night and never in exactly the same place.  It was as if he was just hanging out there, waiting for someone to come pick him up or something.  

• 6 months later...

One of the houses in Reynoldsville that my mom use to live in as a little girl had weird occurrences. 

She said when they moved in they were told a man shot himself in the one room. There was apparently still blood all over so my grandmother cleaned it up as best as she could but the blood stains kept coming back. I think I was even told that fresh paint wouldn't cover it. 

She also told me about the time she woke up and walked downstairs to see a figure of a man in the room that looked as real and solid as could be. She walked over to it and went to touch it but it was just a cold mist that she could run her fingers through. 

The house is no longer there. I'm pretty sure everyone who lived there after that had also experienced something which may explain why they tore it down. 

One of the houses in Reynoldsville that my mom use to live in as a little girl had weird occurrences. 

She said when they moved in they were told a man shot himself in the one room. There was apparently still blood all over so my grandmother cleaned it up as best as she could but the blood stains kept coming back. I think I was even told that fresh paint wouldn't cover it. 

She also told me about the time she woke up and walked downstairs to see a figure of a man in the room that looked as real and solid as could be. She walked over to it and went to touch it but it was just a cold mist that she could run her fingers through. 

The house is no longer there. I'm pretty sure everyone who lived there after that had also experienced something which may explain why they tore it down. 

I am not sure which house your talking about  there is a house on the Pike, 322 west of town, going up the hill where in the 60s a man who lived on Ohio St thought his wife was having an affair with the man who lived on the pike. One night he walked up to the house on the Pike knocked on the door and when the man who lived  opened the door shot him in the face with a shot gun then walked home called the state police and waited for them to arrive and arrest him. One of the troopers who was there told me years ago that blood covered the walls and left a huge mess. I knew someone who lived in that house years later and they say the front door  often sticks at night if you try to open it

I'm not sure how far back it was that this happened with my mom, but I know the house was on Worth Street I can't remember what end. 

I am not sure which house your talking about  there is a house on the Pike, 322 west of town, going up the hill where in the 60s a man who lived on Ohio St thought his wife was having an affair with the man who lived on the pike. One night he walked up to the house on the Pike knocked on the door and when the man who lived  opened the door shot him in the face with a shot gun then walked home called the state police and waited for them to arrive and arrest him. One of the troopers who was there told me years ago that blood covered the walls and left a huge mess. I knew someone who lived in that house years later and they say the front door  often sticks at night if you try to open it

the child was of one of the original families of Sabula, the Osbornes. he accompanied his older brothers to the sugar shack that they had to the left of the tunnel enterance. as darkness fell he became scared and told the others that he was going to walk back home. His brothers told Him to stay on the path that he was familiar with to return back to the house. As morning came the boys returned home only to be questioned as to where the youngest son was. They told of the nights events and that he had returned home. A search party was formed by the locals and whent on through the night and again the next morning. On a third search of the wooded area searchers found the body of the child in some bushes off of the path. The body did not show any wounds leaving the locals to believe that the boy froze to death.

Ummm, sorry but my familly never lost anyone as a child and there was only one Osborne Family in Sabula. There were only 2 children and the both lived to a ripe old age. My great great uncle John died in Butler about 80 years old and never had any children, and my great grandmother Mattie lived to be 100 and died in 1976. Dont know where this story came from, but is sounds like another Charlie Moore wives tale.

• 5 years later...

Anyone still following this topic & was the book ever written? It's now 05/28 or 29, 2019 & last enter was in 2013 

Anyone know any stories about old route 255? I walk it with dog & always get a weird feeling at the end where we turn around. I can tell there once was a house there because of where the daffodils grow & what's left of the steps to it. I hung some broken old bottles in a few trees near it but still gives me the heebeegeebees!

Also, any Platt Road stories? Down the tracks toward the now loading area way behind the mall & companies now located in from of the empty old KFC/Mexican restaurant?

All information appreciated because I don't believe in much, but I believe that spirits of all kinds exist on Earth because there's really no place for them to go & if I'm right or wrong it doesn't really matter!

I can only tell you about a ghost story going around in the 1960's.  In Sabula where the boy scout camp is there were supposed to be ghosts - in particular I remember hearing about a ghost horse that did not gallop but moved smoothly across the property .  As an initiation the boy scouts had to camp there at night  and they were scared to death.  I was never a boy scout (probably too scared to become one after hearing the ghost stories LOL) but maybe some former boy scouts from the 60's can chime in on this story.

Awesome story & maybe the other book was never made & we can have people start anew with Story#1 Ghost Horse located in Sabula,PA, during the 1960's,near the  boy scout camp area, A Ghost Horse without galloping but with a Smooth floating. A Misty cloud of a horse was said to appear and haunt as it floated.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:08 AM, Dobby said:

Awesome story & maybe the other book was never made & we can have people start anew with Story#1 Ghost Horse located in Sabula,PA, during the 1960's,near the  boy scout camp area, A Ghost Horse without galloping but with a Smooth floating. A Misty cloud of a horse was said to appear and haunt as it floated.

When we connect stories to the area of the Boy Scout Camp during that time frame (probably any time frame) I would take all of them with a big grain of salt.  In my experience as a Scout during the late 50's and early 60's I recall many stories of things in the woods that would be designed to scare the unsuspecting campers.  I'm pretty sure there were never mountain lion or bear attacks, etc.

I would believe the tales told around the campfires at night were more designed to keep the curious campers from straying away into the night creating mischief as kids are inclined to do.  Keeping things in context and understanding the time frame we have to believe that young people of that era and from our area were not big travelers.  Most had not been more than 50 miles from their homes and had seen very little of the world outside their local area,  An area that might be quite small, certainly by today's standards.

I respect the feelings some people get that they attribute to spirits.  I have felt things that I will say are similar when visiting places like the Vietnam Wall in DC, and the Murra building in Oklahoma City.  When you get a knot the size of a football in your stomach and the hair on your arms and the back of your neck just tingles, it gets your attention.  I can't say I've experienced anything remotely close to that anywhere else.  It begs the eternal question, do spirits or ghosts exist?  I don't know, but if they do I wish I knew how to communicate with a few.  I would love to have conversations with my Dad, my Son and my Sister.  There may be a lot to learn from them.  If nothing else I may be able to know about the afterlife while there is still time to change my evil ways.  :dead:

• 7 months later...