GoDuBois.com

Rumbarger Cemetery

Ignatius

This is the main problem. Most people that are buried there families are also deceased and no one is left to care for their graves. The residents of this area need to come together to help out since no one owns the cemetery, there are no caretakers and not much interest from the public to help out. I wonder if the Jaycees, Lions, Kiwanis and Rotary would all have a work day. If one club, family, church, organization or person would spend 1 hour a week up there it would make a big difference. We all need to help out if you want this to be a reality. I'm shocked that the people that live around it have never helped either. If that was in my neighborhood I would go over and do what I can when I could

You shouldn't make such I factual statement unless you know it to be true, as I live very near the cemetery and for several years I mowed and weeded in the cemetery by myself without asking and/or receiving help from anyone.  The only thanks I got was from Mr.Lindsey and Mr.Hassan and my neighbors.  I didn't do it to have my name or picture in the paper but I only did it to make my neighborhood look better.  I quit mowing and weeding after I broke a couple of my own mowers and a weedeater.          

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society

Folks at the new Rumbarger Preservation Society have been are working hard to develop a plan to:

Establish a Trust Fund for professional maintenance of the cemetery.

Beautify Main Street by transforming

I am a decedent of people in the cemetery,,,I started tracing my family history and found out that my Great Great Grand Father was killed in the mine explosion on March 23 1896,,,the mine that was by the Du Bois mall,,,I have found an article from the courier express,,,in the library that states "If this town EVER forgets about these men who's lives were taken from them in such a horrible way,,,this town should be FOREVER be ashamed....If I had known his grave would not look like this

grand_pa_on_the_right_9570.jpg

Wow isn't it cool when you find out stuff like that? I have no relatives in this cemetary but, live and work close to it. I walk up around there a lot, they are doing good things lately up there.Would love to help out on the 9th but, am working until 5:30 a.m. and don't know how long everyone will be up there. I probably wouldn't be able to come until around 2 if anyone is still going to be there.  

Guest madre

Certainly is getting a lot of attention   ;)

PS...when we get our old weedeater fixed, we have a brand new one here, if needed.  Just have to find the time to take the old one apart and rework it a little.

Wow isn't it cool when you find out stuff like that? I have no relatives in this cemetary but, live and work close to it. I walk up around there a lot, they are doing good things lately up there.Would love to help out on the 9th but, am working until 5:30 a.m. and don't know how long everyone will be up there. I probably wouldn't be able to come until around 2 if anyone is still going to be there.  

Crazy,

There will be someone there after two, maybe not the whole group but at least stop by and look around, you never know what you might find!

Certainly is getting a lot of attention   ;)

PS...when we get our old weedeater fixed, we have a brand new one here, if needed.  Just have to find the time to take the old one apart and rework it a little.

Thanks Madre, all donations of time, money, and equipment are appreciated... although space is a concern for equipment

I am a decedent of people in the cemetery,,,I started tracing my family history and found out that my Great Great Grand Father was killed in the mine explosion on March 23 1896,,,the mine that was by the Du Bois mall,,,I have found an article from the courier express,,,in the library that states "If this town EVER forgets about these men who's lives were taken from them in such a horrible way,,,this town should be FOREVER be ashamed....If I had known his grave would not look like this

Born,

We agree the Cemetery shouldn't be like this and that is what we are working toward. Have you been able to contact anyone from the Society to see what might be able to be done?

Thanks

This is the main problem. Most people that are buried there families are also deceased and no one is left to care for their graves. The residents of this area need to come together to help out since no one owns the cemetery, there are no caretakers and not much interest from the public to help out. I wonder if the Jaycees, Lions, Kiwanis and Rotary would all have a work day. If one club, family, church, organization or person would spend 1 hour a week up there it would make a big difference. We all need to help out if you want this to be a reality. I'm shocked that the people that live around it have never helped either. If that was in my neighborhood I would go over and do what I can when I could.

Gold,

That's what we'd like to do, get individuals, groups, co-workers, etc to take a week ( maybe you could have a group workday that week or you could stop by anytime that week and do what you could) but it's tough going. Trying a GoDuBois Day and how many people are able / wanting to make it? Organizations many times are made up of elderly people who want to help but can no longer mow or people who are busy with other activities.... We'll just keep looking!

Can't wait till I see what this cemetery really looks like as I never imagined it was eight acres.  Only thought it was just a small old cemetery along the highway.   Walls?  Wondering how big/long?   Will be very interesting to look @ the old tombstones, too.  I always find myself imagining life back then.

Cando,

Look forward to seeing you there. How many other GoDuBoisers (Spelling???) do we have so far???

Another problem we have is who is the "descendant" who gets to say what happens to great, great, whoevers grave? I want flowers there! No, I'm related to him too and I don't want flowers but we need to fix his headstone! I'm his second cousin once removed and I say his stone is fine! Any suggestions ???

Whoever wants to put up money and erect a headstone, fine.  No one will. I would avoid a lot of flowers because they make it harder maintain with mowing, don't they?

Some people may not want a new stone, or even the old one fixed, but whose call is it? As for flowers, would be more work but if someone "adopts" that grave and takes responsibility ( and takes it seriously ) the the flowers won't be a problem/

!

Round of applause for the Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society. Great public relations news item and you're on the right track.

Please do not cut down any more trees or shrubs unless absolutely necessary.   Plant more .. that is what gave that cemetery character years ago.

I have relatives buried there including a grandmother I dearly loved.   I will have to re-check and see what condition her gravesite is in and do whatever is needed there myself.

Plus, I'll step up and donate $ 100.00 to the Society right now if they'll post an address ... and I dare others to do the same .... maybe not that much, but whatever you can afford.   It all helps.

Consider yourself challenged !

Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society

Mailing Address: PO Box 264, DuBois, PA 15801

Phone: 814-661-4596  

Email: rcpsduboispa@gmail.com

Facebook: Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society, DuBois, PA

501c3 Tax Exempt Organization

Bluejay,

Here's our info, thanks for kicking the challenge off ! The removal of the trees was definitely filled with mixed feelings. As a wise person once said, "They are what brought John DuBois to this area! " but they were too big for the places they were in. Hopefully those are all that will be removed and the possibility does exist for more to be planted. You can also check us out at www.findagrave.com. Pictures of all the graves are posted so you'll be able to see your grandmother's. Don't forget about the GoDuBois workday at the Cemetery on Saturday, July 9th at 9. Hope to see everyone there! There should be someone there tomorrow ( at least for awhile ) if anyone wants to stop up and work, talk, or just walk around. Many thanks to everyone who has been working very hard keeping the grass under control. If you haven't been there for sometime, stop in. I think you will be very surprised at how it looks.

Thanks again Bluejay for your support!

OK folks.  Show your support.   My check goes today to

Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society

Mailing Address: PO Box 264, DuBois, PA 15801

The amount doesnt matter ... send what you can ... it all helps

The challenge to contribute continues ..... let's all chip in

I was able to view my grandmothers headstone this morning at http://www.findagrave.com/

If you have relatives or friends buried at Rumbarger you can do  the same.   It is easy and free.

A community workday is scheduled for this Saturday July 9th. Bring your mower, clippers, chain saw, shovel or weed eater. Even one hour of work makes a big difference. Anyone can show up at any time to help out. You pick what you want to trim. If you can't make it Saturday, you can go to the cemetery any time on any day to help out. Thanks!

OK, we'll try it this way...Saturday, July 9th... Who's interested in coming to the "GoDuBois work day at Rumbarger Cemetery" ?

The obvious answer Paul got this am was "No thanks, not me."

If you're afraid of hard work, well, maintenance is not that hard.

If you're afraid of cemeteries, well, you must be watching too many scary movies - plus it's daytime!

If you could've showed up but didn't, well then, you're just plain heartless.

While I was there today I couldn't help but think of all the hard-working people back in the olden days.  I felt proud helping out today.  By the way, I claimed an area my family will mow/weed on a regular basis.  

I hope more people will step forward to give the Rumbarger Society & volunteers a break they so deserve.  Amazing what has already been done!  I can see how a few more helping hands could mean the world to them.  

What a beautiful view & it's so peaceful up there.  Make it an ongoing beautiful place with just a small piece of your time.  

The obvious answer Paul got this am was "No thanks, not me."

If you're afraid of hard work, well, maintenance is not that hard.

If you're afraid of cemeteries, well, you must be watching too many scary movies - plus it's daytime!

If you could've showed up but didn't, well then, you're just plain heartless.

While I was there today I couldn't help but think of all the hard-working people back in the olden days.  I felt proud helping out today.  By the way, I claimed an area my family will mow/weed on a regular basis.  

I hope more people will step forward to give the Rumbarger Society & volunteers a break they so deserve.  Amazing what has already been done!  I can see how a few more helping hands could mean the world to them.  

What a beautiful view & it's so peaceful up there.  Make it an ongoing beautiful place with just a small piece of your time.  

Just plain heartless?? really?