GoDuBois.com

HIGHLAND STREET TRAIN TUNNEL

soccermom

That's where my grandpa worked as well. The B & O!!!!!!! If you guys do go down there, just becareful. There are alot of weeds and all kinds of stuff. Like I said That property right by the ol' tracks still belongs to my grandpa, and he used to drive his truck down there and cut the brush all the time, now, since he's not in that great of health, he hasn't gone down.  Kittymomma, does your family still live up there?

When I told my dad that the over 100 year old roundhouse had burned, I saw tears in his eyes....that really was the end of an era when it burned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's today's Spring photos of the Highland Street (a/k/a Cottage Hill) Tunnel.  The Tunnel is accessed from Third Street (off Maple Avenue) before you ascend Hillcrest Drive, and on the right.  Notice the two overhead Buffalo & Susquehanna rail bridges on Chestnut and Maple leading to and from the Tunnel. The owner of the corner lot has beautifully tended to the entrance area and the rail trail is obscured by brush.  Once you've "carefully and respectfully" maneuvered to the brush, the rail trail suddenly appears.  The rails have been removed, but many of the old ties remain.  As you will see, trash has been piled on both the Sandy Township and Du Bois sides.  The year "1903" appears above the Sandy portal.  The inside of the Tunnel is surprisingly dry.  I took a picture of the legendary "scary door."

tunnel_1_9423.jpg

tunnel_2_5780.jpg

tunnel_3_3833.jpg

tunnel_4_5290.jpg

tunnel_5_8195.jpg

tunnel_6_793.jpg

tunnel_6_4131.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that brings back memories.! had a lot of fun down there, like most, collecting fossels for Miss, Fairs fifth grade class. Remember her from the Olive Ave School? There was a farm behind where the school is now. last people to live there was the Langs I believe, there was also an old boarded up house about where the swings are now, it burnt in the late 60's. We spent many a summer day playing war games down on the flat between Highland Street and the tunnel with Creg L. John F. Blain H. to name a few. My older brother's shoe fell off and set on a ledge that no one could get to along the upper highwall near the tunnel, and I will always remember Ball's store where we got a dreamsicle or as many peices of penny candy as we could with returning popbottles. all this when summers seemed to last forever.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Creg L. John F. Blain H. to name a few. My older brother's shoe fell off and set on a ledge that no one could get to along the upper highwall near the tunnel, and I will always remember Ball's store where we got a dreamsicle or as many peices of penny candy as we could with returning popbottles. all this when summers seemed to last forever.

Would that John F. and Blain H. happen to be John Fink and Blain Hockman?  Did you live in that area?  Please p.m. me cause I may know you.  I used to live on Burt St.

Well the kids still go down there and do God knows what.....My advise is this and I can't help but tell these kids NOT TO GO IN IT!!!! It is very dangerous!!!! Trust me, I live above it and do not recommend anybody going down there for fossils inside it or out.

• 3 weeks later...

Would that John F. and Blain H. happen to be John Fink and Blain Hockman?  Did you live in that area?  Please p.m. me cause I may know you.  I used to live on Burt St.

Hi just got back from vacation and noticed the question that you asked and  it is yes,  lived in the pink house next to balls store.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Hi just got back from vacation and noticed the question that you asked and  it is yes,  lived in the pink house next to balls store.

Ok, I just looked at your name.  I was a Wilson and lived on Burt St.  I'm pretty sure I know who you are.