GoDuBois.com

What year is this photo?

denman

Fancy kraut 3 for $.17!  This has to be pre WWII.  The other building across the tracks, was a restaurant through the 60's I believe.  George's, or something like that?  Building burned down, in what, 1975??  

Come on you DuBois natives!  I'm from Sykesville (DuBois now), enlighten us out of towners!

That picture was earlier than 1953. The Acme was in the post office building on Scribner and N.Brady, the earliest i can remember, I think in  the mid 40's, before moving to the new store on Liberty Blvd. The building pictured, was the State Liquor store before moving to the present location. Was there a location between then? The building across the track, was Carmella's restaurant, prior to burning down, around...1975 or 1980??    Anyone remember?..I can't remember the flood, at that time frame. That low area has flooded many times. There was a hand Chinese Laundry on Franklin St. a couple buildings from Carmella's , owned by a Chinese man, named Sam Shing.

Our beloved"flat" flooded many years as flood control by the US. Corps of Engineers of Sandy Creek hadn't occured yet..The Acme was long gone when I was a kid so 1936,2 years before I was born, could be right............But the picture really gets me because of the TAVERN sign on the other side of the tracks...The building's gone but it became Carmella's Restaurant,a neat, popular place the whole town ate and drank in from the end of the 40's to the early 60's..The bar was on Long Avenue with the restaurant behind it. The door to the restaurant was along the tracks..In the early 50's the most popular meal was the spagetti dinner for .65 cents and the shrimp dinner for what looked wildly expensive at $1.25..I was 12 or 13 .And OMG,once a month,in the early 50's, they ran a special with 2 spagetti dinners for $1.00.If my folks went out of town they gave me a dollar and I ate BOTH dinners and then staggered up Long avenue.....

Did the name "Carmella's" ever change?  When I remember the name "George's", in thinking about it, it was because it was run by a guy name George (maybe George Hart or something similar?).  The location is easy to remember (particularly if you ever went in the State Store).  I remember the Chinese Laundry and one of the neatest shops around (same area) Clear Rock Archery.  They were a mini-mini-Cabella's.

I dont see rr tracks???

The person right by the light pole will be crossing the tracks in a few more feet. These are the tracks down by Frank's Pizza. Great old picture! Those windows on the Acme store (upstairs) are the same windows that are there now. I loved going in that Chinese laundry, that guy was fun and could barely speak English. He had a long braid down his back. The Beezers owned Clear Rock Archery.

Did the state store move to the present location directly from that site, or was there a place in between?   I think the original Merritt Edner's justice of the peace office was along the tracks. People went there for all kinds of domestic disputes, licenses, etc...I remember Mr. Edner as a real authority figure in town, to me anyway..

My hubby says it's 1936.

If 1936 is correct, the negative I scanned is almost 75 years old and still has amazing detail.  The year 1936 would also be a good reason I don't remember Acme being there, I was not yet born.

I do remember the Chinese laundry and a few other stores just beyond the photo on Franklin St.

Did the state store move to the present location directly from that site, or was there a place in between?   I think the original Merritt Edner's justice of the peace office was along the tracks. People went there for all kinds of domestic disputes, licenses, etc...I remember Mr. Edner as a real authority figure in town, to me anyway..

When I was a kid Merritt Edner's was right across the street from where Frank's is. The building they were in is right beside the road that goes along the tracks back to now, Giant Eagle. I remember going there with my Dad to get his tax return done.

Sorry that was the A & P that was up Franklin St.

The A & P was on Washington  Ave, half way between Brady and Jared Street. The only place it ever was, that I know of, till it built the building where the auto parts store is, going into Martin's. It lasted there only a short time. I remember going to the A & P with my mother. We had rationing tokens and coupons during the war. Some items were not available, and some were restricted, as how many you could buy.

When I was a kid Merritt Edner's was right across the street from where Frank's is. The building they were in is right beside the road that goes along the tracks back to now, Giant Eagle. I remember going there with my Dad to get his tax return done.

Yes, they were there, too. I think that was their second location.

Thank you for your interest in this photo!

I did a little research.  According to wikipedia, spam.com, and roadsideamerica.com, Spam was introduced to the public on 7-5-1937, so 1936 is probably not the correct date for this photo.  Unless, could it be that Spam was sold in stores before it was officialy introduced?  Other possible years mentioned were 1946 and 1953.

I am going to add some photos to the history thread that were almost certainly taken the same day.  They were in the same area and the negatives were together in the box.  I would appreciate any comments about the photos.