GoDuBois.com

Green Glen Drive and West Washington

Tiramisu

Does anyone recognize what block of W Washington Ave that is? It looks pretty level and most of Washington is hilly. I don't recognize most of the houses, but they are still probably there. I'm thinking the 700 or 800 block maybe. The picture says Washington Ave looking West so maybe it was taken on East Washington Ave but the shot was West, that would make more sense because of the houses in the pictures.

Does anyone recognize what block of W Washington Ave that is? It looks pretty level and most of Washington is hilly. I don't recognize most of the houses, but they are still probably there. I'm thinking the 700 or 800 block maybe. The picture says Washington Ave looking West so maybe it was taken on East Washington Ave but the shot was West, that would make more sense because of the houses in the pictures.

It is probably from the VERY back end of it .. The whole way up the hill .. Gotta be ...  My friend lives up there now so that looks familiar

Guest snellma

It is probably from the VERY back end of it .. The whole way up the hill .. Gotta be ...  My friend lives up there now so that looks familiar

Are you talking about the Highland St. Side or the other side by St. Catherine's?  My husband lived in the 2nd from the last house on the left side going up from St. Catherines.

Guest Tracy96

Wow, these pics are amazing.  It is great to have this forum to post these things from the past!  Thanks Steve!!!  And to think...I used to hate history...LOL

I am wondering if it isn't the Highland St. side, because I live over on the other end of town and if you look west, all you see are hills going up and this shows one going down.

Well the picture says "Washington Ave" looking West.

So that would have to mean that it was taken on the Highland Street side ... Looking towards WEST Washington ..

Right?  Thats what I'm gathering from it anyhow

You're exactly right. The picture is on East Washington Ave. Does anybody know what block of East Washington Ave this us? I don't recall any of those houses, but I'm sure they have greatly changed in all these years.

Most everyone had 'party lines' which meant you shared one line with as many as 3 to 5  other families...You picked up the receiver, and you could 'listen in' to the other peoples conversations. You were careful what you said, you didn't know who was listening....Some real fights resulted,  from some people hogging the line, and what was overheard...The phone bill was maybe $3.00 per month.Long distance was relatively expensive, and had to be placed by the "operator'...Before cables were made, each phone or party line had a separate wire to the nearest exchange. Which made 'private lines' much more expensive..The exchange in DuBois was on Scribner Ave, in the building behind the post office, then in the newer building on Scribner I think?..a block or so west..I think that building is still in use by the phone company..anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest kyahsdad

andy just likes going to hoss's ;)!

AC Nelson was my MIL's uncle.  I met him once when Andy and I were first married.  He was the happiest person and very loving.

Andy is always very proud when we go to Hoss's and he sees the old store sign.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid our phone number was just 4515. There were several others sharing the line, There was a lady down the hill that you always had to tell to hang the phone up because she picked it up as soon as you answered. One time my uncle called from Buffalo and Dad and Mom were in the field below the house and the lady came puffing up the road yelling Yiour brother Fran is on the phone..When it didn't quit ringing, she had answered.