GoDuBois.com

dog health question

Gilb3314

Canines do not get the flu. Besides the flu is not contracted by "walking in the cold" anyway. If a dog has flu like symptoms there is something wrong. Could be heart related and the cold aggravated the condition. Could be a number of things. Bottom line is the dog needs to seen by a vet. Now, if the pooch is OK by tomorrow I would still talk to the vet. Remember dogs are lower to the ground and get the cold from the ground more quickly than we feel it. They also get cold quickly through their paws. The last two days I would not let my pooch outside. He used his pee pads. he weighs a mere 15lbs and I felt it was too dangerously cold for him. Just like on super hot days it is so uncomfortable for a dog to walk on the street, people forget how hot the concrete gets. I would put a towel in the dryer and warm it up and put that on the pooch.

Dogs and Flu: What You Need to Know
Experts answer 7 common questions about dog flu.

What i was worried about was the shivering, It wasn't real warm in here, but comfortable for me 68-70. He just wasn't being his bubbly self. Llying around a little more than usual today, but way better than last night, .Everything is working and he is eating and drinking, so hope all is welll, I suppose they do have days when they just feel bad, like people. Yes, I think he has Pica! He loves tissues. I finally got a trash can with a flip top lid for the bathroom, he was forever everything paper out of there.

Dogs and Flu: What You Need to Know
Experts answer 7 common questions about dog flu.

He/She asked if the dog could catch his/her flu. Canines do not get human flu. Flu viruses that canines get are H3N8. They are close to Kennel Cough. The OP did not say the dog had any Kennel Cough symptoms and furthermore the pooch was Ok earlier in the day. Parvo and Kennel Cough do not come on quite that suddenly. This seemed to be acute.

He may well have had a simple belly ache or something else that was hurting him temporarily.  We all get unexplained aches and pains, so he probably did too.  Our daughter's teeny little terrier shakes every time she's scared or hurt.

He/She asked if the dog could catch his/her flu. Canines do not get human flu. Flu viruses that canines get are H3N8. They are close to Kennel Cough. The OP did not say the dog had any Kennel Cough symptoms and furthermore the pooch was Ok earlier in the day. Parvo and Kennel Cough do not come on quite that suddenly. This seemed to be acute.

You said Canines do not get the flu......that response was for you.  The vets my dogs have gone to have always told me that dogs can catch the flu /colds.

pineappleology, on 09 Jan 2014 - 9:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Canines do not get the flu.

"We're obviously keeping an eye on that, but so far we haven't seen any evidence that people can contract the virus from their pets," Donis said.

But there has been some evidence that dogs might be able to catch the flu from people, Donis said. But there's not enough data on the subject.  

I didn't know and I've heard both sides, I wasn't thinking he caught the flu from me by me sneezing on him or anything, because he ate the kleenex that I blew my nose in allnight. I was worried about the shivering, figuring he had a fever. He is still sleeping alot and lying around, but otherwise seems okay. I'm going to see how this weekend goes and call a vet on Monday if he's still lying around. .I think maybe he's manipulating me.

Guest JenMc32

They can get sick, flu-like symptoms.  Colds/flu cannot be transmitted from human to animal or vice versa.  Nor between different species (ie: dogs to cats).  That info is straight from local vet.

It is still best to get them to a vet because many different things can have similar symptoms.  Especially if they are not eating.

I'm wondering area vets may be dealing with urinary/bladder infections due to the cold weather and not even the dogs wanting to go outside & holding it for too long.

Shivering/shaking is also a sign of pain. My vet told me that.  Not always that a dog is cold. I rescued a puppy mill dog and he shakes when he gets scared so many reasons out there why dogs shake and shiver.  Best advice is to get him to a vet. 

Update:  All seems well this morning. He's up to his normal shenigans. Let him out, chased him off the deck, He peed and  I called him in, so he ran away, so I waited a few min, then he came in, I know he pooped during the night, because I stepped in it, . My kleenex was all ripped apart on the carpet, and my bra was lying in the hallway. He ate and drank. I'm glad he's feeling better. thanks for all your concern and advise everyo1

glad he is better.  a tablespoon of pumplim in their food helps with their digestive tract..

• 3 weeks later...

Glad he's feeling better.  It's always so sad when a pet is sick.  And what's up with dogs and Kleenex?  Mine loves to grab them from the bathroom garbage and shred them, along with the empty cardboard rolls fro paper towels or toilet paper.  I'm happy to say that she now has me trained to keep the garbage can on the ledge behind the tub.  Earlier this week when I was sick, I was laying on the couch with a box of tissues on the floor beside me within easy reach.  She came over to sit beside me, which is unusual... and when I looked down she was deftly pulling a tissue from the pop-up box.  I swear there was a twinkle in her eyes!

My one dog loves tissues but his ULTIMATE garbage cruising is...ummm to put nicely, used female products. YUCK!