GoDuBois.com

Gettysburg 2012

KittyMommy

Some images from a recent trip to Gettysburg.....These three in particular, I cannot explain.

First off:  The Witness Tree.  In the middle of town, this huge tree has stood since the battle.  Just one frame before, was of our ghost walk guide, giving us the story of the tree, then I shot this frame, which was supposed to be of the tree by itself....it was anything but....no settings changed, no lens changed, and nothing hit the lens.

Posted Image

Secondly, the Jennie Wade house.   What appears to be a face looks out at us from the window.....I think Jennie Wade is a farce.  She really has no place in the historical records of the battle in the town.  Very little mention of her at all.   But to hear some guides talk you'd think she was a saint or something.

Posted Image

Lastly, a paranormal investigation we got to participate in.  It was a house, used as a field hospital during the battle.  We are on an enclosed porch, and have activity with a male who indicated he was a solider from the Irish Brigade....there is a man standing next to me with a ball cap on.  Look at the windows...the one on the left of the frame.  An image of a man, wearing a cap of what a soldier of the period might wear, appears to be looking at us as we investigate.  At first I thought it was a reflection of the man next to me, but then I looked again;  the ball cap's bill is pointed the WRONG way for it to be the reflection of the man next to me....other than the three people in the photo, and me, there is NO ONE else on the porch with us.....

Posted Image

Lots of activity, including a disembodied voice, gently bidding us "goodnight" as we went to bed, being awakened by noises, bumps, shadows and such.

Had to be the most activity I've ever been exposed to in my life, and I have to say that for about a month afterwards, I didn't feel 'grounded'.  

If you go, (if you never have) be prepared, its like nothing you'll ever experience in your life.  The battlefield as well served up enough activity even in broad daylight...most of which were sounds rather than imagery.  On particular area, gave up the only malevolence I felt the whole time:  Devil's Den and the Slaughter Pen.  At that area, we all were hit with a wall of foul smelling air.  Thick, excrement-like scent, and every last one of us said at the same time:  "We need to leave here, NOW."

The paranormal experiences aside, the history, and solemnity of the battlefield, is the primary reason to be there.  It absolutely boggled my mind to imagine what took place in that small town, in the course of three days.......the respect you feel while there can't be explained.

Still there are those who insist on disrespecting that hallowed ground...at Little Round Top, I climbed the castle-like tower steps, only find something foul on the steps that had me seriously wondering if people really KNEW or UNDERSTOOD where they were and what had taken place there.

Well Jenny Wade is an interesting person in history in that she was te only civilian killed in the battle, her fiance was a union soldier and a former Gettysburg resident fighting for the confedracy is sometimes claimed to having been the one who fired the shot that killed her but how this is known is beyond proof.