GoDuBois.com

GHOST STORIES OF PA

Dodgeman

Clara Price was murdered in 1889 by a man named Alfred Andrews. It says so on a granite stone that sits by the side of the road in far-western Centre County. The stone is located along PA Route 879 between Snow Shoe and Karthaus PA. It is about a half-mile east of the bridge over the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. Although it sits facing the road, about three feet from the asphalt so as to be easily read by passers-by, most travelers zoom by at fifty miles an hour and never notice it.

Clara had been sexually assaulted prior to her death. Clara was 16 years old; she was born in June 1873. By various reports she was "a highly respected young lady ... considered to be one of the most beautiful girls in the place."

Although the roadside was sparsely populated, and remains so today, several people recalled seeing Clara walking along the road towards the river. One, a Mrs. Watson, distinctly recalled seeing Clara pass by. Mrs. Watson also recalled that Clara was followed only a few minutes later by a man who matched the description of Alfred Andrews. So who was Alfred Andrews and how did he come to be on the road to Karthaus that fateful morning? Andrews was an Englishman, born March 6, 1868, in the town of Ponsanooth, county of Cornwall. His mother died when he was fourteen months of age, and he was "given in charge of an old lady by the name of Johanna Prisk," with whom he remained until about age 12. Andrews was 21 years old at the time of the murder.

As for November 27, Andrews admitted that he had left home a few days before, setting out to see what he could steal. The morning of the murder, he intended to rob the store in Karthaus. He had followed a peddlar for a while, hoping for a chance to steal his pack, but the opportunity did not present itself. He tried to avoid people seeing him, often hiding in the woods until they passed by. As it turns out, he murdered poor Clara Price to keep her from being able to tell anyone he was on the road there. "The only purpose I had in killing Clara Price was to prevent her from giving information of my being in that part of the country." Even though Alfred had lived in Karthaus too for a time, did Clara recognize her killer? We will never know. In his later confession, Andrews said, "When I came opposite her, she stepped off the road towards the woods. I asked her name, and she said,'Price's daughter.''I said Dave Price?' She answered 'Yes.' Then I attempted to chase her into the woods. She then screamed, and I was afraid of being heard, and pulled my revolver and shot, she running towards Mrs. Watson's. I continued shooting at her emptying my revolver of the five shots." Testimony from men working in the woods nearby reported hearing five gun shots at the approximate time of the murder.

The stone that sits by the road to the river marks the approximate spot where the body of Clara Price was found that fateful day in November 1889. It looks too new for such an old crime. This stone was placed by Burnside Township to replace an earlier one that had fallen apart. A local neighbor has lovingly tended this new stone for over ten years. Clara's grave is two miles away in the Keewaydin Cemetery, in Covington Township, Clearfield County. "Clara Ida Price" it says. "Born June 16, 1873 Died November 27, 1889 Age 16 years, 5 months, 11 days Murdered near Karthaus PA by Alfred Andrews

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Angee5085

My moms house in Brookville had a good amount of activity in it upon moving in. We figured it was an older lady because of the type of activity. Late at night you would hear someone walking up and down the stairs walking up to every bedroom doorway , as if someone was walking around checking on you( meanwhile everyone is asleep in the house). In my room you (right above the front porch) can hear someone sweeping the front porch, ( again everyone in the house is asleep, and im sure my family isnt up for sweeping the porch at midnight). The whole family was outside, and we heard an older lady call out my step dads name from inside the house. One night my mom and step dad were the only ones in the house, my mom in the bathroom and my step dad in his room, he heard the dishes being washed downstairs and thought it was my mom, but obviously she was in the bathroom. My mom and i late one night were watching TV and we both smelled brownies that were in the process of being baked. Our oven was off, and i went outside to see if it was coming from out there, but i couldnt smell anything. When walking back into the house the smell of brownies was overwhelming.... (after that i needed to go to the store to buy some brownies).

Guest Angee5085

My moms house in Brookville had a good amount of activity in it upon moving in. We figured it was an older lady because of the type of activity. Late at night you would hear someone walking up and down the stairs walking up to every bedroom doorway , as if someone was walking around checking on you( meanwhile everyone is asleep in the house). In my room you (right above the front porch) can hear someone sweeping the front porch, ( again everyone in the house is asleep, and im sure my family isnt up for sweeping the porch at midnight). The whole family was outside, and we heard an older lady call out my step dads name from inside the house. One night my mom and step dad were the only ones in the house, my mom in the bathroom and my step dad in his room, he heard the dishes being washed downstairs and thought it was my mom, but obviously she was in the bathroom. My mom and i late one night were watching TV and we both smelled brownies that were in the process of being baked. Our oven was off, and i went outside to see if it was coming from out there, but i couldnt smell anything. When walking back into the house the smell of brownies was overwhelming.... (after that i needed to go to the store to buy some brownies).

oh forgot to add, that one night my boyfriend at the time was staying over ( i dont think the ghost was too happy about it) , there was the sweeping , walking up and down the stairs non stop for a good part of the night, and my bf at the time was already nervous. I say to him go to sleep dont mind her....... i roll over and fall asleep, then my bf says " Is that you holding my hand?" , and i said no why.. haha needless to say he didnt want to sleep over after that lol.