GoDuBois.com

Haunted tunnel.  

Dodgeman

I've never done much research on the area, but your experience has me intrigued.  I would like to know what else was in the area before the tunnels.  Does anyone know?  If it's already been mentioned, I apologize for asking again.

I do agree with you though Shmoopie, that sort of energy wouldn't be pleasant.  Sorry you had that experience, but glad to hear it didn't stop you from looking!

Marine4 from here knows the story much better than I do, but there is a story of two children that went missing (traveling back home) and (one or both) found passed away in the area.  What was creepy was the youngest was about my son's age (3-4) and while I was walking the lower tunnel, I felt "him" holding onto my boot as I walked along. There was also a collapse in the top tunnel killing I think about 12 workers (you can see where the brick changes).

The mob was also big in the area back in the day, and there are stories that this is one of the locations for kills (the coke ovens are another....belt buckles, keys, etc found in some ovens help to confirm that)

Marine4 from here knows the story much better than I do, but there is a story of two children that went missing (traveling back home) and (one or both) found passed away in the area.  What was creepy was the youngest was about my son's age (3-4) and while I was walking the lower tunnel, I felt "him" holding onto my boot as I walked along. There was also a collapse in the top tunnel killing I think about 12 workers (you can see where the brick changes).

The mob was also big in the area back in the day, and there are stories that this is one of the locations for kills (the coke ovens are another....belt buckles, keys, etc found in some ovens help to confirm that)

Thank you for the information!  I am discovering more and more about this area I hadn't a clue about before.

I would not recommend going thru the one at Highland Street. It is in such disarray, and falling down. There was a bunch of sleeping bags and tents down there this past summer. But, enter at your own risk.....

I actually used to live in the area and checked that one out quite a few times.  I haven't been there in about 10 years though, but have heard there are some folks who have made it their home.

I would be willing to take some on a tour of the upper tunnel, but believe me its a spooky walk through there.. ;)

Something I would definitely love to do when the weather levels out a bit.  I have a bum ankle so the last thing I need is to hit ice and end up broken.  lol

Whazza mob?

I don't mean to ruin the fun or be a Debbie doubter but I've spent a bunch of time researching anyone dying there and have come up empty.Personally,my guess would be and I'm just speculating here,that nobody died in that tunnel and people's mind are playing games with them.

I am willing to bet there is a whole lot that happened in this area back in the "old days," we may never find information about.  

Urban legend. But it does make for a good campfire story.

My recent favorite was the poor guy they found hanging under the interstate bridge near here a few years ago. Mob snitch, drug deal gone bad, saw something he shouldn't have, etc....... 

Turns out he was a postman from upstate New York. Never did hear why he was hung under the bridge. I suppose by the time they figured it out the local press had moved on to more important issues.

Or maybe we were just not meant to know. To add fuel to the fire, someone spray painted "so long snake" on the side of the bridge a week after the body was found.

As kids we were told a troll like creature lived in the Shawville tunnel. Found out that is was a story made up to keep us kids away from it.

I like urban legends though. Cool stuff.

I remember when I was a teenager visiting a place in Brockway they called Gravity Hill.  Can't for the life of me remember where it is, does anyone remember it?

I remember when I was a teenager visiting a place in Brockway they called Gravity Hill. Can't for the life of me remember where it is, does anyone remember it?

Gravity Hill is in New Paris, Pa Bedford County.

http://www.goduboisforum.com/index.php?/topic/882-haunted-tunnel/?p=20134

I read about the tunnel collapse in the actual old article a few years but cannot find the story right now. I am determined now to though. The story with the kid(s) is too old and is a legend....true? Who knows. But I do know what I felt on my boot and what I saw at the entrance, and not to mention what my pup was growling at when I took her.

But I do believe the mob stories in this area, especially at the coke ovens. Perfect place to hide a body and no one say a word. 

Gravity Hill is in New Paris, Pa Bedford County.

There was one in Brockway/Brockport area too, though, we actually went there one evening and it was pretty cool.  I just can't remember where it was.

There was one in Brockway/Brockport area too, though, we actually went there one evening and it was pretty cool.  I just can't remember where it was.

I thought so too, because I remember going to one locally too, out near Brockport, but I cant remember either.