GoDuBois.com

Help! Does anyone know what this is?

kikibaugh

My Saint Bernard, Chewy, was at the vet yesterday. His leg was fine. Last night I noticed he was limping and on his front leg, at the lower joint, there is now a huge lump! It's hard like bone, it's not fluid filled. I gave him his arthritis medicine and it hasn't seemed to help. He is still putting weight on it and is just limping, still using it a little. I called the vet and left a message. I will post a pic. Has anyone ever seen this before?? I am so worried about him :(

He is on Flagyl and Amoxicillin for a bit of an explosive poopy issue. But he has been on that for over a month now. He got his booster vaccines yesterday. That's all. And he takes Rimadyl and Metacam for his arthritis. But he has taken those for a couple years now.

He is on Flagyl and Amoxicillin for a bit of an explosive poopy issue. But he has been on that for over a month now. He got his booster vaccines yesterday. That's all. And he takes Rimadyl and Metacam for his arthritis. But he has taken those for a couple years now.

There's your answer.

My guess is the bump is from his shots.  Our golden often gets them at the injection site.  They typically only last a day or two and go away on their own.

most vets that I know don't give boosters or any shots in the leg, especially on a joint like that. Did he slip on ice anywhere? Did he get a lyme's booster? Some animals will contract lymes from the shot. But he definately needs to see a vet as my mom's greyhound just recently passed from an aggressive form of bone cancer, dad had to carry him up and down steps for a week before the dr finally put him down. If he has arthritis already, could be a possibility. You said its hard, does it move at all? Does he cry when you try? Keep calling the vet, call the emergency # if needed, he's limping and already on pain meds sooooooo he needs seen. Good Luck and I hope I'm wrong.

My guess is the bump is from his shots.  Our golden often gets them at the injection site.  They typically only last a day or two and go away on their own.

most vets that I know don't give boosters or any shots in the leg, especially on a joint like that. Did he slip on ice anywhere? Did he get a lyme's booster? Some animals will contract lymes from the shot. But he definately needs to see a vet as my mom's greyhound just recently passed from an aggressive form of bone cancer, dad had to carry him up and down steps for a week before the dr finally put him down. If he has arthritis already, could be a possibility. You said its hard, does it move at all? Does he cry when you try? Keep calling the vet, call the emergency # if needed, he's limping and already on pain meds sooooooo he needs seen. Good Luck and I hope I'm wrong.

That's not what she meant.  A shot of any kind can leave a lump.

Are you sure the lump hasn't been growing and you didn't notice it?  Is it painful for the dog when he is resting?  Is he licking it?  Any fur missing on it?  Is it hot?  Will he let you put any pressure on it?

Is it where his foot bends, on both legs?  You said he takes arthritis medication.  Could it be a swollen joint from that?

I am so confused by these posts!! How can people argue over a dog with a lump on his leg...geesh!!   Kiki...if it isn't bothering him, (pain) I would try and get him in as soon as possible...like Monday, or Tuesday...but keep an eye on it incase it gets bigger or starts to cause him pain, then I would say to get him seen as soon as possible!

Our vet gives shots in the thigh area on his back leg.  The bumps often show up either at the injection site or further down his leg, closer to the joint.  At any rate, as I said in my previous post, I was just sharing my experience with bumps on my dog's leg after his shots.  I hope the OP finds an answer.

My Golden had the same symptoms Kiki. He just got up one morning and his joint was all swollen and could hardly walk on it. Took him in and the vet did a lymes and something else (I can't remember the name, sorry) that they can get from ticks. While it tested negative for lymes it did however test positive for the other. Even though he was on Advantix, the medicine has no affect on stopping what ever the other thing is that ticks can pass onto animals. Vet game him medicine and within a couple of days it was getting better.

I know how worried you are. All of us can give you our opinions and they may or may not be right. They may just end up scaring you. If this was my pooch, and I have 5 of a giant breed, is to apply a warm, moist heat. Monitor the size and see if it growing from now until you get him into the vet. Take a sharpie and draw an outline around it and try to use a sling to put him out so he does not put a lot of weight on it. Saints are so stoic so his leg could have been bothering him before and he did not show it.

And to the poster who said dogs can get Lymes from a shot....that is incorrect. The Lymes Titer will increase hence make antibodies in the immune system. There is copious research proving the efficacy of Lymes vaccines in canines.

I know how worried you are. All of us can give you our opinions and they may or may not be right. They may just end up scaring you. If this was my pooch, and I have 5 of a giant breed, is to apply a warm, moist heat. Monitor the size and see if it growing from now until you get him into the vet. Take a sharpie and draw an outline around it and try to use a sling to put him out so he does not put a lot of weight on it. Saints are so stoic so his leg could have been bothering him before and he did not show it.

And to the poster who said dogs can get Lymes from a shot....that is incorrect. The Lymes Titer will increase hence make antibodies in the immune system. There is copious research proving the efficacy of Lymes vaccines in canines.

Thanks :) I am taking him in Monday. It's really hard like bone. I am thinking maybe it's a partial dislocation. There is no fluid build up and it's staying the same size. He has been staying off of it, poor guy :( It is right at the joint above his foot. Front left leg. I stayed up late last night and baked him doggie treats to baby him. I am super worried and hope it's nothing serious. I appreciate all the helpful advice from everyone so far :) Please let me know if you think of anything else!

Thanks :) I am taking him in Monday. It's really hard like bone. I am thinking maybe it's a partial dislocation. There is no fluid build up and it's staying the same size. He has been staying off of it, poor guy :( It is right at the joint above his foot. Front left leg. I stayed up late last night and baked him doggie treats to baby him. I am super worried and hope it's nothing serious. I appreciate all the helpful advice from everyone so far :) Please let me know if you think of anything else!

My cat has a knot like that on one of his joints, but it didn't appear suddenly like your pooch's did  :(   My cat's was caused when his leg was broken by the abusive twits that had him before we stole him.  It didn't heal properly.

I hope that it's nothing serious and he's up and about on it soon.

Please keep us up to date, will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

Thanks. I will do. Not sure how I'll get him in the car to the vet if he won't walk. Might need a crane! I have heard tumor but I am hoping it's just a dislocation or something. It just appeared out of nowhere!