GoDuBois.com

Help! Does anyone know what this is?

kikibaugh

most vets that I know don't give boosters or any shots in the leg, especially on a joint like that. Did he slip on ice anywhere? Did he get a lyme's booster? Some animals will contract lymes from the shot. But he definately needs to see a vet as my mom's greyhound just recently passed from an aggressive form of bone cancer, dad had to carry him up and down steps for a week before the dr finally put him down. If he has arthritis already, could be a possibility. You said its hard, does it move at all? Does he cry when you try? Keep calling the vet, call the emergency # if needed, he's limping and already on pain meds sooooooo he needs seen. Good Luck and I hope I'm wrong.

Would agree with you Bennyboy1.  I wonder how these vaccines prevent Lyme spirochetes in animals when spirochetes are considered indestructible.  I'll just never understand that. 

This is not meant to be taken offensively in any way, but is he overweight? I see a lot of dogs at work with arthritis that end up worse off when their weight is an issue and I've seen it cause a wide variety of limb deformities and swelling. You should be able to feel a dogs ribs by lightly touching the sides, they shouldn't be entirely visible by looking at a pet, but you shouldn't have to push through a layer of fat to feel them either, there also should be a noticeable waistline from above and a slight tuck up when looking at the side. (I know this may be more difficult on a full coated dog.) Most vets don't bring up the weight issues unless they are asked because we in the pet industry have been verbally abused by customers more times tan not who think it's acceptable for a pet to be overweight even though we are seeing signs of concern.

This is not meant to be taken offensively in any way, but is he overweight? I see a lot of dogs at work with arthritis that end up worse off when their weight is an issue and I've seen it cause a wide variety of limb deformities and swelling. You should be able to feel a dogs ribs by lightly touching the sides, they shouldn't be entirely visible by looking at a pet, but you shouldn't have to push through a layer of fat to feel them either, there also should be a noticeable waistline from above and a slight tuck up when looking at the side. (I know this may be more difficult on a full coated dog.) Most vets don't bring up the weight issues unless they are asked because we in the pet industry have been verbally abused by customers more times tan not who think it's acceptable for a pet to be overweight even though we are seeing signs of concern.

His weight is perfect. He is a full blooded rough coat Saint Bernard. His bone structure is enormous. He actually had to gain a little bit. He has hip dysplasia and arthritis so we have always had to watch his weight. Plus, big dogs like him are at risk for bloat so we always monitor his diet. I know what you mean though!

This is not meant to be taken offensively in any way, but is he overweight? I see a lot of dogs at work with arthritis that end up worse off when their weight is an issue and I've seen it cause a wide variety of limb deformities and swelling. You should be able to feel a dogs ribs by lightly touching the sides, they shouldn't be entirely visible by looking at a pet, but you shouldn't have to push through a layer of fat to feel them either, there also should be a noticeable waistline from above and a slight tuck up when looking at the side. (I know this may be more difficult on a full coated dog.) Most vets don't bring up the weight issues unless they are asked because we in the pet industry have been verbally abused by customers more times tan not who think it's acceptable for a pet to be overweight even though we are seeing signs of concern.

My dog is overweight and the only vet that has ever said anything about her weight was Dr. Lee, I know she is and was open to suggestions on how to help an old dog lose weight, but most aren't open to hearing it. Had to change vets due to my 2yr old being terrified of Dr. Lee's office after he got nuetered and he weighs in over 100lbs BUT is not overweight, because I asked the new vet about it. Because of his breeds he is mixed with and his height, he is perfect with very good muscle tone.

His weight is perfect. He is a full blooded rough coat Saint Bernard. His bone structure is enormous. He actually had to gain a little bit. He has hip dysplasia and arthritis so we have always had to watch his weight. Plus, big dogs like him are at risk for bloat so we always monitor his diet. I know what you mean though!

you're a good doggie mommy :)

Prayers for your pup.  Lumps are scary.  I'm a dog lover and own 3.  I have lost some along the way, too.  Please let us know how your dog makes out at the vet.   We anxiously await.  Hugs to you and doggie.

lumps are scary and most time benign (fatty tissue especially in lab mixes). My old girl had 4 removed last year only because they interfered with her walking due to location (under her front shoulder) and she continues to grow them and the vet continues to biopsy the new ones that appear just to make sure. She has also grown skin tag like things, we call them her beauty marks because she has one on her nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So Chewy was at the vet all afternoon. They took an X-ray which showed it most likely isn't the osteosarcoma but it is most likely a fast growing tumor. It has gotten much bigger lately. Now roughly softball size.

They did a needle biopsy and I should get the results Monday. Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks so much for all the thoughts so far :) Chewy says thank you!

Thanks :) I was glad it wasn't the osteosarcoma. That is the worst of the possibilities. Dr Brocious said he was almost sure that's what it was before the x ray. The other probable causes are mostly treatable so it was a relief.

Did you stay with your pooch while he got his shots? Because they should be given in the fat of the upper back . Not in the leg itself "?"

He got his shots in his back, by his butt like he was supposed to. This wasn't from his shots.