GoDuBois.com

Help! Does anyone know what this is?

kikibaugh

We have opted for cremations when our pets pass. We have two four year old boys, and we have lost three cats in the past year due to cancer, old age etc... (one was 24). two of them we had to have help passing, one we took to the vet, the other we actually found someone who would come to our home and euthanize so we didn't have the additional trauma of transporting an already sick and hurting animal. We explained to the boys as simply as possible about the body no longer being able to support life and the need to let go. We were able to explain the process and what would happen in very simple terms . When the pet had passed, we allowed it to lay at rest in our bedroom over night so our other pets could pay their respects and our boys could visit and touch it and ask questions. We then took it for cremation and had its fur shaved so that trimmings could be used in lockets or other items that helped the boys remember their pet. We've also done memorial photos, and the pawprint molds and such - all great suggestions. If you're able to answer their questions in a very straight forward way, I think you'll be surprised at how well they understand both the need for euthanasia and the concept of losing their beloved pet to death. I'm really sorry that you'll be losing a loved one this way. It just plain sucks no matter how you look at it.

When our Sly was passing, our vet met us in a field. My children were older but this was their first dealing with death of "someone" they grew up with and loved so much. We did similarly to you, which like you said, no matter how you do it "sucks". I have my screen-saver as a slide show of my pics. well when I need a pick up, a beautiful "fun" picture of my Sly pops up when I least expect it.

Always focus on the good times, it helps in the healing. Sly was a rescue from way out in the booneys', got his name from being have chased through farm pastures when my daughter said "that one" while 27 others sat there patiently, had a specific "bark" when a specific individual would be coming onto our street, I always knew who just by how excited his bark or if he was upset, I knew it was someone we did not know. He would take himself for a walk from time to time, being bored waiting for the kids, he would use the cross walks and look both ways before crossing, to go sit at the bus stop. He was the first animal I ever truly loved in my life, don't get me wrong, I had other "pets" growing up but Sly taught me so much about individuality of their personalities and how it felt to be loved back. Thank you Sly :)

When our Sly was passing, our vet met us in a field. My children were older but this was their first dealing with death of "someone" they grew up with and loved so much. We did similarly to you, which like you said, no matter how you do it "sucks". I have my screen-saver as a slide show of my pics. well when I need a pick up, a beautiful "fun" picture of my Sly pops up when I least expect it.

Always focus on the good times, it helps in the healing. Sly was a rescue from way out in the booneys', got his name from being have chased through farm pastures when my daughter said "that one" while 27 others sat there patiently, had a specific "bark" when a specific individual would be coming onto our street, I always knew who just by how excited his bark or if he was upset, I knew it was someone we did not know. He would take himself for a walk from time to time, being bored waiting for the kids, he would use the cross walks and look both ways before crossing, to go sit at the bus stop. He was the first animal I ever truly loved in my life, don't get me wrong, I had other "pets" growing up but Sly taught me so much about individuality of their personalities and how it felt to be loved back. Thank you Sly :)

I can think of no better way to honor a loved one. Hard to say who who rescued who here. Thank you for sharing that - inspired memories of my first four legged friend

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear this news...will be thinking of you in your time of loss. How are you doing post-surgery?

I am healing up well. Going back to work on Thursday. I have been spending lots of time spoiling Chewy and sitting on my butt, but I need to get back to normal soon. I am hoping I will be ok at work after Wednesday. Not sure what that will be like with all the doggies :(

So sorry about Chewy, but I think you've made the right decision..... We helped our Shelbea go to sleep, we waited a few days too long for Abbea, and she suffered..... It doesn't make it any easier..... But it will be easier on him.... We had both of ours cremated, so that they could be with us if we ever moved, instead of someone digging them up if we sold our home, but then we live in the city and someone would have notice digging huge holes in our yard...... Prayers to you and your family!

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that on Wednesday Chewy is going to the vet for the last time. He is in pretty bad shape and the meds have stopped working :(

So sorry to hear this. It's a hard decision to come to, but I agree it's for the best when they're suffering. Please know we're thinking of you and Chewy.

I am healing up well. Going back to work on Thursday. I have been spending lots of time spoiling Chewy and sitting on my butt, but I need to get back to normal soon. I am hoping I will be ok at work after Wednesday. Not sure what that will be like with all the doggies :(

I'm glad to hear you are healing well. I will keep you in my thoughts as you and yours go through this. Did you guys make the paw prints? How is your son? Is he aware of the upcoming? I feel for you, I tried to take bereavement days when Sly passed but ended up having to take personal days of vacation (employer did not see him as family, go figure, when I saw him as my 4legged blonde son) Being around the other dogs Thursday will most likely be painful but with the disposition of dogs at least one of them will "sense" your sadness and make you smile. *HUGS* 

I'm glad to hear you are healing well. I will keep you in my thoughts as you and yours go through this. Did you guys make the paw prints? How is your son? Is he aware of the upcoming? I feel for you, I tried to take bereavement days when Sly passed but ended up having to take personal days of vacation (employer did not see him as family, go figure, when I saw him as my 4legged blonde son) Being around the other dogs Thursday will most likely be painful but with the disposition of dogs at least one of them will "sense" your sadness and make you smile. *HUGS*

I was a wreck today. But I got home and my son and I went to GHS to get my schedule. We ended up walking and playing with the dogs, Annabelle gave me tons of kisses and made me feel a little better. Dr Miller was very kind today and really made everything a little easier. But I still miss him terribly! Tyler (my son) is handling it well. Better than me. Precious has been searching the house tirelessly since we got home. I know she misses him too.

I was a wreck today. But I got home and my son and I went to GHS to get my schedule. We ended up walking and playing with the dogs, Annabelle gave me tons of kisses and made me feel a little better. Dr Miller was very kind today and really made everything a little easier. But I still miss him terribly! Tyler (my son) is handling it well. Better than me. Precious has been searching the house tirelessly since we got home. I know she misses him too.

I'm so sorry sweetie, I know it's hard. annabelle must be a dog at the shelter? I mentioned before that one would sense your sadness, I know it doesn't take away all the pain but it made you feel good for the moment. Poor Precious, when Sly passed, it took almost 2 months before my Sally stopped watching out the window for him to come home, she was so sad and depressed. But my Ben who was just a pup at the time some how won her over and brought her back to her lively, queen "biotchy" self that she is (even at almost age 11!) That summer Ben actually got Sally to go swimming in the swimming hole we always go to, now she swims right beside him! Before she never went past her "ankles" in the water, probably because Sly HATED water lol. Give Precious extra love and attention, she is grieving as well. Ben and Sally send their condolences as well. Again, I'm sorry for your loss but at least now Chewy is pain free and most likely frolicking about as he crosses the Bridge to doggie heaven. 

I'm so sorry sweetie, I know it's hard. annabelle must be a dog at the shelter? I mentioned before that one would sense your sadness, I know it doesn't take away all the pain but it made you feel good for the moment. Poor Precious, when Sly passed, it took almost 2 months before my Sally stopped watching out the window for him to come home, she was so sad and depressed. But my Ben who was just a pup at the time some how won her over and brought her back to her lively, queen "biotchy" self that she is (even at almost age 11!) That summer Ben actually got Sally to go swimming in the swimming hole we always go to, now she swims right beside him! Before she never went past her "ankles" in the water, probably because Sly HATED water lol. Give Precious extra love and attention, she is grieving as well. Ben and Sally send their condolences as well. Again, I'm sorry for your loss but at least now Chewy is pain free and most likely frolicking about as he crosses the Bridge to doggie heaven.

Thanks :) Yes Annabelle is an adorable little black Taco Bell dog at the shelter. She is such a cutie. I have been babying Precious but she is really bummed. I took her to the park when I took Madison this morning. She loves car rides so we ran some errands too. I feel bad. I sat and talked to her about it, even though I'm pretty sure she didn't understand :)

Precious is going to be "bummed" for a while, and the longer she feels Mommy is sad, she will be sad as well. Her and Chewy were part of a "pack" (your family were the other members) and now that he is gone, she has a hole in her pack. I'm not pushing you to get another dog or anything like that, I would suggest however though, keep her active and involved with you and your remaining "pack members", and when you do decide to bring home a new pack member, she may at first reject that new addition OR she could take right to it.  How old is Precious? If I recall you said she was younger than Chewy, so he is all she knows since leaving her litter as a pack member.

So how was your first day back to work? I hope Annabelle gave you more love today as I know you are probably in need of more sloppy kisses. And I believe Precious understood your "words and emotions" when you had the talk with her, dogs are very intelligent. Just because she is still searching for him doesn't mean she didn't understand. You will probably encounter this yourself: calling for Chewy and Precious (out of habit), you may think you hear him walking through your house, and you will find his hair in everything for a VERY long time, which will make you think of him. No matter how much you clean, somehow you will still find that patch of fur somewhere. And his "scent" is going to linger in your house for a long time, which will keep Precious looking for him. YOU won't smell it yourself because our noses aren't as sensitive. *HUGS* if you need to talk to someone who understands, private message me. I am more than happy to "listen" with or without speaking until you are done venting it out. I am a good listener and I've been in your shoes...too many times :(

My new profile pic is a collage of all my babies over the years, not sure if anyone can see the individual pics, I just realized that Kat isn't on there (he still has not turned up :( ) but then again he was my daughter's ex-boyfriend's cat, so not "technically" my baby, although I spoiled him rotten while he was here.