GoDuBois.com

candy  stripes Iris

Bon

I don't think that that is the same iris. I found Oasis Candy stripe too and just don't think that bud could open into that iris. When an iris is in bud all you see are the falls and all you really see of them is the underside. If you look carefully at the first picture it is an iris with yellow falls. See the center of each section? The yellow falls are edged in a rose or purple shade. Irises do not, or at least none I've ever seen, have a border with two shades as this one appears to have. There is the possibility that the lighter sections of the border will mature to a darker purple but I think it is a trick of the lighting.

I'll confess to have wasted about a half an hour trying to find that little beauty after I posted. There are a lot of pictures of this bud on the internet but none of them are in catalogues or on nursery sites. I think it was just a photographer's dream and he stuck the name candy stripe on it without finding out what it really was. It doesn't make it any less gorgeous but I don't think we are going to acquire it for our gardens anytime soon.

A lot of the irises that are sold now will bloom in the fall as well if the weather is right. I gives us one more chance to see them flower. Both Immortality and Autumn Tryst rebloom fairly reliably for me. Iris borers got my irises last summer so I will be lucky to see any blooms this spring.