GoDuBois.com

not looking forward to tomorrow...here's why

Bennyboy1

Tomorrow is my mother in law's birthday, which should be a day of fun, right? Well instead, she has to have her beloved four legged son put to sleep. This will the 2nd dog she will have lost in 3 months ( 1st had advanced form of bone cancer) and I know she would appreciate any comforting thoughts or prayers you could send her way. I have found the community of individuals here are very compassionate individuals and most of you understand the pain our family is going through. At Thanksgiving, my ferret passed due to advanced adrenal disease, 12/13 my "brother" or mom's other baby passed and tomorrow I will stay with her remaining "children" while she holds his paw as he passes. Thank you.

Sorry to hear that. I know what its like to have a family member put to sleep on or near a special day. My one cat was Easter, the other was halloween. Our first wiener dog was the same date as my dad died on. Very nice of you to be there for her.

She has been more of a mother to me than my bio mother ever was or is capable of. We don't always see eye to eye but when it comes down to it, she's my Mom and she is in emotional pain. The 1st one was a sudden aggressive progression, she rescued him ( as all of pack are rescues) and he was a certified therapy dog ( he had an amazing inspirational life that many could relate or found comfort being with him). Dutch, well he clung to mom n I, smart dog but has recently suffered from what the vets think multiple strokes. He is so sad and she is going to help him pass peacefully meeting the vet in a field (hunting dog so will be surreal) to hold him as he falls asleep. She does have one that just turned 15 yrs old recently, the sister of one I lost 2 years ago at easter. Only animal people truly understand

this pain we feel, but we know he has no quality of life so how fair is that? Btw she treats her pack better than many treat their children.

Good night, long day a head :(

Thank you all. He has passed to the next world, all of us are very emotional, having those "remember when he...." conversations. But it was had to be done, although that doesn't help much. Mom went from 5 to 3 dogs in 3 months. Worse thing for me this morning he came right up to me and was "almost" himself, his little docked tail wagging and he kissed me good bye. It had been a while since he had done that (recognized me) and that brought on the waterfall for me.

You have all my sympathy.  I still hurt sometimes from the loss of my first kitty "brother", Nate.  I know how hard it is to lose a member of your fur family.  I will never understand how anyone could say it is "just" a cat or a dog.  If you truly love and care for an animal, there is no way it cannot become a part of your loving family. 

Please know that my thoughts are with you and your family today as you send your loved one over the Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you Emm, it is very much appreciated. You are right, if you've never knew the unconditional love that a dog/cat/ferret whatever gives in return to the love you give them, it's hard to understand. But those who haven't experienced that love in my opinion are missing out. Yes this part is difficult but so is losing a human that you feel for.

Sorry to hear about your mother in laws and your loss of a beloved member of your family. Animals do melt your heart and for those of us who understand we feel your pain.  I must say i did get choked up reading your posts. I thought back to several of my own dogs that I lost and have been dreading the day when one or more of my three I have now passes. I will at least know that they will not be alone as the other dogs will be there when we are not.

My last dog passed away by himself. We were at work and came home to find him. I had him to the vet just three days prior but there was no indication he was going to pass that soon or at all. we knew the leg was cancerous and thought he was going to have to have it amputated but it was not to be. He was lying by the front door waiting for us to come home. I still tear up knowing he died alone and wishing I had been with him in his final moments.