GoDuBois.com

Euthanization Guilt?

Just wanted to know if anyone out there went through this after having their pet euthanized.  I've been through it before with pets, who I know were very sick and it was the right thing, but I just recently had my 15 year old cat euthanized and I am overcome with guilt.  His breathing got really bad and I took him to vet, we tried the steroid and antibiotics, by end of week though he was worse and not eating, and I chose to euthanize because he was struggling. They didn't think it was asthma, because the steroid should have helped, but then I got to talking to someone today and their cat went through the same thing, and he was put on oxygen overnight and was ok the next day.  Now I am questioning myself and distraught over the unknown, though there's nothing I can do now :Sad_014:

Knew it had to be done he could not get up one his own or even really hold himself up out in the yard but had hope it would pass but it was a very hard decision for all of us to let him go.  Miss him dearly every single day.  But  I do know I will see him and the others one day.  Second guessing will always make one sick and guilty, I think that is part of why I feel the way I do

If your vet thought there was something that would of helped your cat they would of done it. A vet wont put an animal down just because. You did the right thing since you saw he was having a hard time. Don't beat yourself up over what ifs. Maybe the other cat had something totally different than what your cat had. Your buddy is running all over Kitty heaven having a good time!! I'm sorry you lost your friend, I know what it feels like...

you did the right thing, don't ever feel that you did not. It will hurt emotionally no matter how or when the time would have come and your situation was most likely different than that of the person you referred to. No matter what, you did the humane thing and assisted your loved one end the struggle. It has been almost 2 years to the day since my Sly has passed and not a day goes by that I don't think of him. But I know I gave him a good life and in the end I was there to help him cross the Rainbow Bridge. *HUGS* Just remember you did what you had to do at that moment, you did no wrong. don;t second guess yourself.

my mom lost 2 of her beloved dogs, 3 months apart. She had the last one put down because he was beyond help anymore (he had a long wonderful life). she chose to have him cremated and the reason I even mention this is because of this ironic twist:

after searching for a reputable rescue group and for a new family member she could handle (size wise, she downsized), we drove almost 2.5 hours one way to pick up the new member of her pack. On our way home, after the adoption papers are signed (and endorsed with a wet kiss from her new "baby") she received a call that the ashes of the recent loss were ready to be picked up. 

The new girl we brought home is sooooo much like the most recent one that she lost that it is scary. she has a lot of his mannerisms and personality similarities. I think he approved of the new addition and that call was just his way of say "it's okay Mom, I like her!"

Yes, I think we all have had at least one pet we weren't sure if it was time.  One I should have done sooner, now that I think of it.  So, once the decision is made, remember everything has its time. "To everything there is a season."............  .  It just that in a sense, it bothers us because, WE made the determination, not nature.  In a perfect world, we all hope that everything just sleeps away, and no one has to make that decision for them. I have an old cat, and just put my 15 1/2 year old dog down in Dec.  My companion.

Every time. I feel guilty every time.

And I'm old, so I've put quite a few down.

I wrestle with the decision every time, too. I take it very seriously. I hate to see them suffer, but I always wonder what gives me the right to decide that their life is so miserable that it should end.

I'm sure there's some guy living in the Hamptons who would look at my life and say it wasn't worth living.

But I love my pets, and am a responsible pet owner, and when it's time, I do it, and just deal with the guilt along with the grief. It's hard.

But there is always another animal with a sad story just waiting for a chance at a good home, if your house is empty, head on out to the pound and save one.

So don't second guess it. You loved your cat, your cat knew it. You did what you knew was best.

Grief comes in many ways.

Our pets expect us to do our best for them. It is not fair to them to allow them to needlessly suffer. We are doing our duty and showing our love when we help them exit this life. It is hard. I'm sorry and feel your pain.

My sentiments exactly.

He knows he was loved and he was a very loving cat to everyone.  Our 13 year old Sheltie passed away right after Christmas.  We finally made the decision to have him euthanized, after struggling with that decision.  We called the vet early in the morning and they said to come around 11.  As we parked and were getting out of the vehicle, he died in my husband's arms.  I was actually relieved, very sad, but relieved because we didn't have to go through with the euthanasia (then you worry that you waited too long).  You get so attached.  Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it. 

Some initial guilt is normal but think of how you rescued your pet from suffering.  Your kitty had a loving owner who was strong enough to do the kindest thing.

Elk County Humane Society is over run with kitties right now....all ages, colors and sizes.....just throwing that out there

He knows he was loved and he was a very loving cat to everyone.  Our 13 year old Sheltie passed away right after Christmas.  We finally made the decision to have him euthanized, after struggling with that decision.  We called the vet early in the morning and they said to come around 11.  As we parked and were getting out of the vehicle, he died in my husband's arms.  I was actually relieved, very sad, but relieved because we didn't have to go through with the euthanasia (then you worry that you waited too long).  You get so attached.  Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it. 

Sorry for the losses....I know this may sound strange to some, but I think the way your sheltie passed was "bittersweet" in his daddy's arms. You truly don't know unconditional love until you allow yourself to feel what our beloved pets give us. No matter how mad they can make us when they chew that sock, or do their "doodie" inside, no matter how bad of day you yourself are having, the wagging tail, the ball of fur cuddled up and purring in your lap helps to make all that disappear. I know we all have different kinds of pets as well but dogs and cats are most common. I myself had ferrets for many years, but losing them to genetic defects or disease because of "ferret farming" was torture to not only them but to my family. After Zorro and Chunky passed about 5 years ago I swore I would never again....a year later I was at the shelter and this tiny tiny little fuzzball was curled in a blanket and I fell in love. That's when Zach came home with me. He just passed around Thanksgiving last year (advanced adrenal disease). I miss him so, I miss all of my fuzzies that I've had since a child (Kodo, Podo, Kip, Kutch, Bandit, Oscar [Ozzy], Zorro, Chunky Monkey and Zach [WeezyJoe], mommy misses you and will see on the other side of the Bridge! I hope you all are playing nice together!)

We had Chewy put to sleep today and I feel horrible. His pain meds were no longer working and he could hardly move. I know it was necessary but it still feels terrible to have to make the decision :(

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss as well.  We all wish they would pass peacefully in their sleep, but unfortunately we are most often dealt with that decision.  This most recent one was the worst so far, because I felt so conflicted. 

:( Sorry for your loss. I went thru this twice. One cat I chose to try all the meds and she died anyway then I felt guilty for having made her suffer. The other one I chose to end his suffering after having his lungs drained (they filled right back up). I felt guilty for him too even tho the vet said it was time and nothing else they could do. They were both only 3 or 4 yrs old.

It's a damned if you do damned if ya don't situation. Try not to be too hard on yourself.