GoDuBois.com

February

Victoria

Pray for SPRING would be a good one  ;D

The seed catalogs are coming out now and you can look over them and decide what you want to plant,  If you are starting plants from seed inside and also you can do a layout on paper for the space you will be planting

We plant the following-

Green beans- last year they were so gross, what a waste. From seed.

Snap peas- from seed and loved them, but they came up so slow.

Cucumbers- great crop but a little bitter? Plus they just about took over.-seeds

Watermelon- got about 7 inches and quit. never produced anything-seeds

Cantelope- same thing-seeds

Tomatoes- beef steak and cherry- we had so many we couldn't keep up! From local green house

Peppers- red and green, they did ok, but not that well.- From local green house

This year I wanna do pumpkins too.

We plant the following-

Green beans- last year they were so gross, what a waste. From seed.

Snap peas- from seed and loved them, but they came up so slow.

Cucumbers- great crop but a little bitter? Plus they just about took over.-seedsTry the English Burpless ones.  They are longer, sweeter and they do excellent on trellises.[

Watermelon- got about 7 inches and quit. never produced anything-seeds

Cantelope- same thing-seeds  It's hard to get a good watermelon or cantalope in our climate but there are some good short season small varieties if you can find them.

Tomatoes- beef steak and cherry- we had so many we couldn't keep up! From local green house

Peppers- red and green, they did ok, but not that well.- From local green house

This year I wanna do pumpkins too.

If there's something you want started ahead of time let me know.  I do a lot of seedlings for people every year.

Tell me why your green beans were gross? They have to be one of the easiest things to grow. Pick them while they are young if by gross you mean the beans weren't good.  

The peas should be planted while the ground is still cool or they don't germinate well. Try soaking them for 24 hours to speed germination.

We have kind of  a short growing season some years for peppers but last year was good. Ditto watermelons and cantaloupes.  

Cucs need lots of water or they go bitter. Straight Eights grow well around here when it is a cucumber year.

If you want good sized pumpkins remove all except one or two from each vine. Fertilize well as they are heavy feeders.

As far as what you should be doing, this is a good time to order seeds. There are all sorts of specials and they are shipped quickly. One year a seed catalog, that will remain nameless, didn't ship my seeds until it was too late to start them indoors. Why would you ship cauliflower, broccoli and even tomato seeds to this area in late April? They can't be direct seeded and it's sure too late to start them indoors.  

You probably left the green beans get too big.  That's usually when they start to get tough and get that grassy taste.  They also tend to get a lil fuzzy when they get bigger. This year, try picking them when they are similar in size to a pencil, only a little shorter.  I think you'll like them better at that size!  Good luck!!!

Blue Lake bush bean is the one I've been planting for years. It is recommended for the area and we like the taste. The worst that happens if they get too old is they get kind of mealy.

I've grown the Blue Lake bush beans and had great success. Hubby, the kids and their friends would pick them right off the bushes and eat them. I will have them planted again this year for sure.

I started my tomatoes (cherry) around the first of March last year and they did really well. I am going to do it again this year. We live at the lake so everything in pots and they have to be watered every day, but I love fresh tomatoes! Pumpkins do not do well on a deck, plants grow just fine, the fruit itself not so good.

I started my tomatoes (cherry) around the first of March last year and they did really well. I am going to do it again this year. We live at the lake so everything in pots and they have to be watered every day, but I love fresh tomatoes! Pumpkins do not do well on a deck, plants grow just fine, the fruit itself not so good.

One year my son, who was about 5 at the time, took 4 pumpkin seeds and plucked them in the ground out in the field. Those were the nicest pumpkins we ever had, even when we tried doing it the "right" way. Someday I'd like to have a respectable patch going.

I guess growing tomatoes in pots at the Lake is the only way to grow them although I know someone who said that the deer came right up on her porch and ate the plants. I never knew deer could climb steps!

Were the deer any better last summer? We hardly had any this year. Bad for the hunters but great for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Lake bush bean is the one I've been planting for years. It is recommended for the area and we like the taste. The worst that happens if they get too old is they get kind of mealy.

I plant the Blue Lake too and always have a great crop. I try to keep them picked every day because I like them tender. But, on a few occasions that I couldn't get to them right away, I've used the larger ones too. (not humongous ones) I just blanch them, then into ice water and then I french them and freeze them.