GoDuBois.com

tomato blight

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so impatient.....and then they all seem to turn at once.  Tomato season is way too short.  Can't stand tomatoes from the store.  Don't even compare to a fresh, warm from the sun, juicy......

Sorry, drooled on my keyboard.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As long as we don't have a frost they will continue to grow and ripen at their own pace till then.  Keep an eye out and make sure to cover them well as possible if there is a frost.  I've had tomatoes produce clear into October as long as they didn't get frosted.

If you can't cover them then pick the large ones and bring them into a cool bright area such as a basement onto a clean and porous surface.  Bring a few into a warm sunlit window as you need them and they will ripen well.

We sold a long keeper tomato plant this spring.  If you happened to get a plant will you let me know how they did?  I can start more next spring if they're worth it.  

I have HUGE tomato plants and tons of green tomatos.  They are a great size and shape.....just won't turn red.  Any ideas why??

Cooler nights. Bring some in and put them on the windowsill. The hot weather has been great for the tomatoes. What kind did you plant?

Actually, I'm not sure what kind we planted.  We went to a different green house than the one we usually go to.  Not really sure of the different kinds of plants, so we just grab a couple of this one, a couple of that one.  I think maybe my boyfriend put the little marker thingy in the ground by the plants.  But, I don't know if we can find them due to the size of these plants.  I have never had such huge plants!  We have a 3-year old neighbor and when he goes in the garden, you can't see him!  If the tomatoes that come off of them are good, will definitely return to that green house!

We are not great gardeners, so when we get anything, we get really excited.  This is also the first year that our green peppers have done really well.  We also have a ton of cucumbers.  Since that is all that we plant (along with some onions) I think it has been a very successful season so far!

For those who have Late Blight this year, did you plant in the same spot this year or where you grew potatoes last year?  Did you pull out all volunteer tomatoes and potatoes this spring?  Do you think it came from a neighbor's garden?

It is natural for tomatoes to get Late Blight further on into the fall season but this is too early for that.  It has to be an unnatural infection from another source.  I've seen a couple of gardens with Late Blight and I'd like to know what to tell them.  I think all may have been from bad garden hygiene and planting practives but it would take more research and some guesswork.

When I saw my son-in-law's garden this spring he had volunteer potatoes that he refused to pull.  Luckily he had no Late Blight.  

For those who have Late Blight this year, did you plant in the same spot this year or where you grew potatoes last year?  Did you pull out all volunteer tomatoes and potatoes this spring?  Do you think it came from a neighbor's garden?

It is natural for tomatoes to get Late Blight further on into the fall season but this is too early for that.  It has to be an unnatural infection from another source.  I've seen a couple of gardens with Late Blight and I'd like to know what to tell them.  I think all may have been from bad garden hygiene and planting practives but it would take more research and some guesswork.

When I saw my son-in-law's garden this spring he had volunteer potatoes that he refused to pull.  Luckily he had no Late Blight.  

roatated my plants this year, never grew potatoes, just ticks you off!!! two years in a row.

Another plant that is apparently carrying and harboring the disease is a weed, and now I can't think of the name, Nightshade, vine, has a purple flower with a yellow cone in the center?  Ugh.

Terrdog, if you need tomatoes just call Pine Valley in the Business Referral section.  At least you will have something to can or freeze.  In the meantime get a soil test done, and make sure all weeds are gone along with everything else from that section of the garden.  You may have to spray with Daconil right from the beginning next year.  

Other people have it spreading to plants not usually affected, like peppers.  

Another plant that is apparently carrying and harboring the disease is a weed, and now I can't think of the name, Nightshade, vine, has a purple flower with a yellow cone in the center?  Ugh.

Terrdog, if you need tomatoes just call Pine Valley in the Business Referral section.  At least you will have something to can or freeze.  In the meantime get a soil test done, and make sure all weeds are gone along with everything else from that section of the garden.  You may have to spray with Daconil right from the beginning next year.  

Other people have it spreading to plants not usually affected, like peppers.  

Thanks for the info petee

You know, people used to burn their gardens once in a while.  I wonder if this would be a good idea for infected gardens?  You would definitely have to do a soil test in the spring to bring it back into balance.

You know, people used to burn their gardens once in a while.  I wonder if this would be a good idea for infected gardens?  You would definitely have to do a soil test in the spring to bring it back into balance.

Going to research this to the utmost, and learn as much as I can on blight pervention. Hopefully next year I'll be armed and ready.

Be sure to get all of your tomatoes out of the garden pretty quick now because it is now the regular season for Late Blight.  One family went away for a week leaving behind beautiful tomatoes just to return to an unsalvageable mess.  

Pick everything that is large enough to ripen, burn or trash everything else and clean out the garden, especially of potato, tomato or solanaceous weed debris.  If you had the blight you may want to till it too and do a fall soil test and a fall cover crop.  The healthier the soil is the healthier your garden will be next spring.

• 3 months later...

I had a neighbor that I gave tomatoes to this year just drop off a thank you present. I told him I hope I have tomatoes to give away in 2011.

When we stopped at the grocery store this evening my wife asked if I had any  fresh tomatoes left from the garden. I might have enough left for Christmas Eve dinner. I have never had tomatoes last as long as they have this year.

In 4 months it will be time to start all over again.

Burpee had a long keeper tomato that they let us take for a test run some years ago. It is now in the catalogues. It kept until Thanksgiving when wrapped green in newspaper and stored in the fruit cellar. The downside was that no one would eat it as the flavor was almost non-existent. Very picky about tomatoes around here!

I'll be starting leeks in the greenhouse in Feb., then peppers and eggplants, then tomatoes. Feb is only a couple of months away.

Unless the blight comes in again we should be OK. As cold as the weather has been I can't believe that it could overwinter even in a compost heap should anyone have been so uninformed to have tossed diseased plants into one.

How are the long kept tomatoes tastewise?

Any plants that aren't infected can be composted safely. So, yes, if you suckerd your tomatoes before the blight hit the clippings can be safely composted. What they were suggesting, as I'm sure many people know, is that all infected plants be disposed of by putting them in a plastic bag and putting in out in the sun. This should kill the blight spores. To be safe they should be disposed of in the trash.

Theoretically a compost heap should get hot enough to kill weeds and disease but the outside probably never does. Even if you turn it faithfully you probably don't get everything heated up enough as those who have compost heaps will tell you. There are always a million tomato seedling volunteers, not to mention squash and the occasional flowering plant.  

Late blight will not overwinter in the soil, according to Penn State's County Extension Service and other experts. It may overwinter in plant material such as buried potatoes, which also get it. It ordinarily comes in on infected plants and the wind rather than from the soil. So you can plant tomatoes back into that soil unless there are potatoes hiding in there somewhere.

There is a currently very rare strain of blight which will overwinter in the north in encapsulated spores but I don't think that one has arrived yet.

Actually, late blight very late in the year is common and usually doesn't affect the tomatoes too much although the plants may have blackened leaves.