GoDuBois.com

Permanent Plant Markers?

Petee

Does anyone have a good suggestion for making PERMANENT plant markers that will not fade out over the winter?  We've been doing the venetian blinds with a heavy permanent marker but it's still a total blank in the spring.  Then till it blooms again and is identified we have no idea what's what.

We use the permanent Sharpies but over the winter the writing disappears.  Laundry marker can be something we will try.  I think I'm going to experiment with as many different kinds and we haven't tried yet.  There has to be something affordable.

Yep, the blinds are waiting for the shredder....me!  I cut up over 1000 of them every year so I keep a mountain of blanks ready for trimming so we always need more.  Thank you for the supplies and the Black Eyed Susans!  

I made my own out of aluminum tags and cut up old metal hangers. I cut the hook off metal hangers and threw it away. Then I cut the rest of the hanger into 3 pieces. I bent a loop at the end of each piece and used it to hang the aluminum tags. The tags can be engraved, so it will never wear off. The only problem I have had with them, is accidently pulling them out while raking up leaves in fall and spring.

xx

x    x

x---cut here

x  

cut here--- x      x---cut here

x                x

x                            x

x                                     x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

^ cut here                     ^ cut here

Hope you can understand the picture. After I cut the hanger with tin snips, I used pliers to make a curly loop at one end of the metal hanger piece to hang the aluminum tag.

xxx

xx   xx

xx

xx

xx

xx

xx

Below is a pic of the tags. I think you can get them from some sights for around $10.00 for 100 tags.

oval_tags_8920.jpg

Have you tried Sharpie Industrial Strength?  They are more durable than regular permanent markers.

A friend of mine uses a numbering system.  She has all the plants listed by number in her computer.  She uses a stencil and spray paints numbers on some sort of plastic garden markers.  

We've been doing the venetian blinds with a heavy permanent marker but it's still a total blank in the spring.

What if you painted over the permanent marker with spray on varnish or maybe a clear nail polish.