GoDuBois.com

Old fashioned ground cover name?

Petee

Does anyone know the name of the old fashioned ground cover that you sometimes see on banks.  There is some on Maple Avenue in the Oklahoma section.  I'll have to look to see which house it's at.  It's a foot or more tall, has light green foilage, yellow flowers, and could almost be mistaken for wild mustard.  

Bon, that's very close but not what I'm looking for.  Yes, it could possibly be mistaken for Wild Mustard.  I thought it was called Basket of Gold but when I looked for the proper name that was wrong.  The next time I see it I'll have to say exactly where so others can check it out.

Crown Vetch  -- what you see in the median on I80  --- DON'T do it -- it is a nightmare and will take over your property, your neighbor's property, the state, the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: If you really don't like someone, give them the gift of Houttuynia. It will keep on giving :)

I have Houttuynia cordata in my front flower bed and I love it!  Yes, it does come up everywhere but it doesn't have roots to the center of the earth as do some garden thugs like Snow on the Mountain!  Now there's something I won't even sell or give away unless they promise to plant it around a tree where they can mow around it, plus it looks terrible after July.  

The planting bed this is in is surrounded by concrete sidewalks so maybe that's why I haven't learned to hate it.

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TMI/Plantlist/ho_rdata.html

I checked out mine to day as I carried in groceries.  It's all frozen to the ground overnight but it will be back.  I want to dig some for the plant sale but I'll have to make sure people know it can be considered invasive.

Yes, mine was a gift from another gardener! :-)

We're looking for something to put on our side embankment, to cover the erosion.  There is shade and does not get a lot of water.  We have a split rail fence there but wanted to plant something along the fence since there is erosion. Any ideas?  Would hostas work?

:rofl: If you really don't like someone, give them the gift of Houttuynia. It will keep on giving :)

If you REALLY don't like a neighbor, plant some bamboo.  That stuff is wicked.  My mom had planted one stalk in the ground and within a few years it had spread to about a 10x10 area.  Within 10 years it was out of control.

A neighbor planted some and it cracked their pool.

If you REALLY don't like a neighbor, plant some bamboo.  That stuff is wicked.  My mom had planted one stalk in the ground and within a few years it had spread to about a 10x10 area.  Within 10 years it was out of control.

A neighbor planted some and it cracked their pool.

In this area? I thought it was too cold, even where I am. My sister in WV has a whole hedge of it. She gave me a piece and I planted it by MY pool and it died (of course). I guess that's probably a good thing!

The Houttuynia is really pretty and everyone admires it but it comes up late and freezes easily.  I would think it would eventually make a nice hillside covering, an dif I get the proper name of the groundcover I am looking for, it's usually used on steep hillsides.

We're looking for something to put on our side embankment, to cover the erosion.  There is shade and does not get a lot of water.  We have a split rail fence there but wanted to plant something along the fence since there is erosion. Any ideas?  Would hostas work?

Hostas like more water. If you are looking for groundcovers try bugle weed or vinca. Daylilies would work well there or maye some yucca depending on how shady it is.