GoDuBois.com

Christmas Cactus Memories

Petee

oh trust me it got good and dry between waterings ... lol. i would put it out in the shade in the summer, and as soon as I brought it in, in early fall, it would start blooming and would be done by the time Christmas got here.

We had one of those that my wife got from her grandmother...damn thing bloomed in July, but very seldom if ever at Christmas. It died years ago. (never took it outside, maybe that was the problem) :-/

I'm not much of a green thumb, but I do have some hanging plant in the living room that came from her grandmothers funeral (19 years ago), a long stemmed thingy with leaves that came from my Mom's funeral (6 yrs ago today), a spider plant that has been restarted many times from its offspring, and a plant from Canada that grows huge red flowers from an approx. 3 1/2" round bulb. I've "killed" them all several times from neglect, but they keep coming back. ;)

..."My Mom's funeral (6 yrs ago today)"...never realized it was today until I went to look it up in the Bible. :B

sorry for your loss eastman

TY, she was the best Mother anyone could wish for and lived a good long life...she's better off than any of us here. I knew it was 2 days after Christmas, but didn't realize that today was the 27th...was no need to look at the calendar the last few days not being at work. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We had one of those that my wife got from her grandmother...damn thing bloomed in July, but very seldom if ever at Christmas. It died years ago. (never took it outside, maybe that was the problem) :-/

I'm not much of a green thumb, but I do have some hanging plant in the living room that came from her grandmothers funeral (19 years ago), a long stemmed thingy with leaves that came from my Mom's funeral (6 yrs ago today), a spider plant that has been restarted many times from its offspring, and a plant from Canada that grows huge red flowers from an approx. 3 1/2" round bulb. I've "killed" them all several times from neglect, but they keep coming back. ;)

..."My Mom's funeral (6 yrs ago today)"...never realized it was today until I went to look it up in the Bible. :B

Send pictures of the plants and flowers.  Maybe we can identify them for you and tell you how to care for them.

Losing someone close is one of the terrible things about this life.  You have to make good new memories about them.  This is the first year since Mom died in 1997 that I've put up a tree, and it's outside alondside the driveway and main road so others can enjoy it too.  We still have it lit because we're enjoying it so much.  It reminds me of when we went to the top of Boones Mountain to see my grandmother.  Her house was way back a lane so you could see it long before you got there.  The Christmas tree went up before Thanksgiving and stayed up till after Easter so that it and the gifts were there whenever family came home through the holidays.  Sometimes it had NO needles at the end but the lights were still on and they were the "barn burner" type.  

We often couldn't see the Grandma's house across the field when we turned in the lane but you sure could see that tree glowing on the sunporch.  I remember her everytime I look out through our big front window and see the tree twinkling and  shining.  So, this is a good memory of Grandma and of my Mother who braved drifts almost as high as the car windows to get us there.  Those old cars were so heavy that they were like snowplows!