GoDuBois.com

What are you doing now outside?

Smokefree

Now that most of us have spent the summer killing some or all of our tomato plants what is everyone concentrating on now? I am trying lasagna gardening in a part of my yard and weeding a lot so I don't have it all waiting in the spring. I have set up some logs to make a flower garden inside them and am putting good soil and compost, along with manure to start getting that soil ready for spring planting. Also cutting some brush and getting rid of a few volunteer maple trees that have been growing along my house for years. Eating tomatoes on my deck and looking forward to the end of trying to grow tomatoes this year. At least I have some but nothing like what I hoped for. I signed up for the Master Gardner class that starts in September so I will now more about what I am doing in the spring and hopefully be able to help others.

I have been building a new deck on my house and taking care of my gardens the tomato blight thing is funny, it got all my neighbors plants but my garden up back of my house is untouched so far "knock on wood" I have tomatoes growing in a lower garden below my driveway and they are about half gone, I have been pulling them up and burning them. my next project is taking out the old oil furnace and putting a new one in. always something to do..

Picking, canning and freezing. The tomatoes made it but there aren't a lot of them. The broccoli recovered with some help from peroxide and Seven from some mysterious rot that set in after all of the rain so that continues to produce. The peppers are ready for freezing and now I have to devise a few new dishes for eggplant and squash as we are getting tons of squash and have even managed to produce eggplant this year.

Weeding continues as I'm reclaiming a few areas near the woods and in boggy areas for flowers. It's been an ongoing process but I think I may be getting ahead now as I finally found a weekwacker that is light enough for me to handle.

Repotting plants for the spring plant sale and will be heeling them in soon. There are tons of them and I can't bear to throw them away. Potted up a bunch of new grasses that were donated. If anybody knows what a rush looks like I'd appreciate an identification or a good description. These don't look like grasses to me.

I am canning beans, peas, and tomato juice. Also cutting firewood every evening. What I really want to do is get my flower gardens weeded and the 20 or 30 plants (that are sitting in pots under a tree) planted soon. All this rain has done wonders for the weeds in my garden.  :(