GoDuBois.com

Stuffs Up!

lavender

Buds on the daffs, German irises are up, ditto aconite, hellebores, tulips, crocuses, hyacinths and daylilies. Leaves on the Montauk daisy and lilacs look as though the buds are about to burst. Deer already found one of the daylilies. Rotten things! Brought in some forsythia to force.

Went out and sprayed liquid fence to try to protect the new plants from the rotten deer. Does anyone else have trouble this early? They eat the daylilies down to the ground. At least they didn't get the holy this year. Mainly because it was under 10 feet of snow. Did I mention how I feel about deer? And groundhogs?

Guest madre

Question...I brought Forsythia branches in last fall and put them in water.  They appear to still be alive and I think they are growing new little buds on them.  When do you think I should try to put them in the ground?

Do they have roots? If so I think that you could put them out anytime. The only thing I would be worried about would be the transition from a warm house to the cold outdoors so you might want to harden them off by gradually cooling them down. Otherwise just wait for a few weeks until the weather stabilizes.

Guest madre

They have roots!   :)  That's one thing that really surprised me...how easy it was to propagate them.  I think I will wait a bit, as you say.  Never know when we might get that last blow of winter and I managed to keep them alive this long...

Yup...crocus's are up, tulips, daffodils, iris's and hiacynths are peeking out...lilies are even starting.  I'm happy!  When we moved here there wasn't a lot so we did a ton of planting last fall.  It's like Christmas...waiting and watching!