GoDuBois.com

Woodpeckers

Nita

We have woodpeckers at our bird feeder.  It looks like 4 of them.  When one comes in, the one eating will leave.  They are eating the suet block.  It looks like  2 females, and 2 males.  One male, and one female are larger then the other.  Two have the red head, and the other 2 have white stripes on black.  I took pictures, but I dont know how to put them on here.  Is it normal for woodpeckers to be out now?  

The pileated woodpecker ( the one that looks like Woody) stays around all winter although I can't say I've seen too many of them. They must pretty much stay in the holes that they make in trees when it is cold. As you say they do come out to eat. Considering the energy it must take to keep them warm they probably go for the suet every time.

Guest Tracy96

I seen one yesterday!  Didn't get a pic though.  It was too far away and the last time I tried to take a pic, I trudged through all that snow we got and the dang thing flew away...lol  They sure are pretty though and it's amazing how big they are!

Guest snellma

I took pictures, but I dont know how to put them on here.  Is it normal for woodpeckers to be out now?  

Right down under the text box there is another box that says post more options.  That is where you attach pictures.  Would love to see them.

I have bought quite a few different brands of suet and the birds don't like them. I now make my own recipe and freeze them using waxed paper between the forms. I don't do the paper lined muffin tins.

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 1/2 cups cornmeal

1 cup birdseed

1/2 cup beef suet ( I use left over frech fry grease )

Cut beef suet in small pieces and cook over low flame in a heavy skillet until melted

Combine peanut butter, mixed birdseed, cornmeal and melted beef suet.

Spoon into paper-lined muffin tins. When partially hardened, insert 6-inch loops of cord in the middle by first poking a hole in the cake with an ice pick. Remove cakes and hang when thoroughly hardened, or store in the freezer until you're ready for them. (