GoDuBois.com

Mauve trillium

lizzie

We had quite a lot of seed pods from our this year.  If they produce extra plants in the Spring, I'll try to remember to keep you in mind.  We mostly have the red/mauve.

Thanks, curwensville, I thought there was one I had missed. That is the white one when it gets old. I got to thinking that that was what we were talking about after I shut down the computer last night.

I really, really want to see the yellow one but I don't think it grows around here.

Thanks, curwensville, I thought there was one I had missed. That is the white one when it gets old. I got to thinking that that was what we were talking about after I shut down the computer last night.

I really, really want to see the yellow one but I don't think it grows around here.

The yellow ones can be found in the State College area.  They prefer some sort of rock formation found there.

Guest curwensville

I have been working on building a woodland garden near my house.  If you have any extras might I pay you for them?

If you want some I'll take a look down back and see what I can find. Message me if you want me to look. I don't check here much.

There are some pink lady slippers here but I have a hard time transplanting them.

I'm looking for some red and golden raspberry plants.

Please, please do not try to transplant the pink lady slippers. They are a protected species and getting rarer every day. It is likely that they are associated with a soil microorganism without which they cannot grow. This is why it is almost impossible to transplant them. They will only grow where this factor is present and will continue to grow or be available.

I've got tons of red raspberries. They are the everbearing kind that get a second small crop in the fall. It is probably too late to dig them now but if you remind me in the spring I'll dig some.

Guest curwensville

Please, please do not try to transplant the pink lady slippers. They are a protected species and getting rarer every day. It is likely that they are associated with a soil microorganism without which they cannot grow. This is why it is almost impossible to transplant them. They will only grow where this factor is present and will continue to grow or be available.

I've got tons of red raspberries. They are the everbearing kind that get a second small crop in the fall. It is probably too late to dig them now but if you remind me in the spring I'll dig some.

I tried moving them to save them. They logged the area out....Clear cut it. What was left is gone. I'll try and remind you this spring for the raspberries. Thank you.

Guest curwensville

Sad about the lady slippers. So much of their habitat has been destroyed.

There are still a few growing down back where they didn't log. Hopefully in time there will be more.

If they are in danger of being destroyed by logging or coal stripping then go ahead and try to move them.  But never dig them just to add to your own garden.  They are more likely to bear seed and multiply right where they are.   There are privately grown woodland plants for sale on some websites.

They prefer soil near a stream or a moist area (not soggy) with mixed evergreens and hardwoods.  Get a LOT of the soil they are growing in and try to move them to a location as close as possible to the one they came from.

Dig a hole bigger than necessary and use the soil you collected from the native site to fill it.  Then plant the Trillium, Jack in the Pulpit, or whatever.

I collect leaves every fall to bury my woodland garden area because there are no hardwoods near enough.  Some flowers have come back beautifully.  Others I never saw again.