GoDuBois.com

Anyone want a Rose of Sharon bush?

Snickers

Eesh!  I'll have to check with the hubs if he has a way to get it out.  I'll let you know what he says tomorrow.  Thanks!

VP -- We have the Expedition that we could hook up to it. My hubs will probably just need some help digging around it and you will need a truck to load it in.

We dug out a much smaller one earlier this week and delivered it to another friend's house.  :)

Just a suggestion:  You may want to wait till it goes dormant this fall.  Cut the roots off about 2 feet away from the trunk and dig a little ditch around there to make the roots regrow at the cut line.  Cut it back by about half.  Once the new hole is dug and you're sure it is "asleep" for the winter, then transfer it directly to the new hole with as little additional root damage as possible.  Stake it for the winter, water it once and then let nature take care of it.  If it's going to come back it will think it never moved and just start growing again in the spring.

Thanks for that suggestion, Petee.  Snickers, do you need it out right away?

Not really. Hubs just wants to get the area filled back in and leveled before snow flies. I think it's mostly done blooming. I haven't seen any new ones on it lately.

Petee -- Do I need to wait until the blooms fall off? Or just when no new ones appear?

You just have to wait till all of the leaves have dropped off naturally.  Just as soon as that happens you can move the plant.

Once it gets into the new hole, it will establish some feeder roots into the new soil but not enough to stabilize itself for winter winds.  First thing in the spring, even before leaves appear, it will be developing a lot more roots.  When the first teeny leaf buds appear, that's when you will want to feed it.  Not a lot, but just enough to give it a little kick start for a new location.

Once it has leafed out then you can probably remove the ropes.

You just have to wait till all of the leaves have dropped off naturally.  Just as soon as that happens you can move the plant.

Once it gets into the new hole, it will establish some feeder roots into the new soil but not enough to stabilize itself for winter winds.  First thing in the spring, even before leaves appear, it will be developing a lot more roots.  When the first teeny leaf buds appear, that's when you will want to feed it.  Not a lot, but just enough to give it a little kick start for a new location.

Once it has leafed out then you can probably remove the ropes.

Well, the poor sucker is doomed if I have to wait for all the leaves to fall off. I know hubs wants it out of here way before that will happen.  :P

I transplanted one from my neighbor who moved. I took it in early May, made sure it had plenty of water and cut the height in half. It did wonderfully.

I think the trick is to reduce the plant's size so it doesn't have so much to support. Anything can be transplanted just about anytime if you do that and keep it watered.

We got rid of a Rose of Sharon last week.  We had to cut it down.  It was about 7 or 8 feet tall.  It grew in a rock garden right next to the house, and was blocking the water hose.  Pulling it out would have uprooted other plants.  The roots are real long.  We have several small ones there also, and we pull them out, but they have about a foot long root.  The trees are about 2 feet tall.  They grow there every summer.  I had to pull hundreds out. We transplanted many, gave them away, and threw them away.  In out other rock garden there is a Rose of Sharon also.  There are maybe 20 small ones too.  Were probably over a hundred before i pulled them out.   Hubby wants to transplant those, and get rid of the big one also.  It is too close to the house, and causing rot on the porch.  Too much moisture in the area.  You may have problems pulling the tree out because of the roots.