GoDuBois.com

Butterfly bushes & butterflies...

badmonkey

Two of my 36ish Butterfly bushes grew quickly this year and have been in bloom for a couple of weeks. The rest of the bushes should be in bloom within a week or so. I noticed that there aren't as many butterflies around this year compared to previous years. Anyone else notice a chnage? I am still getting about the same number of Hummingbird Moths and an increase in Hummingbirds at my butterfly bushes.

I don't think that there have been as many this year. My butterfly bushes used to be covered with swallowtails. I'm seeing some different varieties this year, an odd moth that I have yet to identify and my first monarch caterpillar on my butterfly weed. I suspect that these things go in cycles.

I think they look better if you cut them down to the ground in the spring even if the whole bush hasn't frozen off. I've got to dig up a couple of big ones or my datura isn't going to flower. For some reason they are reseeding themselves by my greenhouse and grow really fast there.

You need to have adult nectar plants, juvenile food plants, shelter and muddy water for them to pattycake in!  Some of those selections will be specific depending on which Butterflies you are trying to attract.

We're working on providing them all at the Franklin Street planting mounds so by next year we may have some flitting additions in the picture.