GoDuBois.com

Can I cut the tops off my tomato plants?

klsm54

Can you cut the tops of indeterminate tomatoe plants to slow down plant growth?

My plants are almost 6 feet tall and not slowing down. I have no way to support them, and it seems to me their energy would be better spent in growing fruit from here on out.

If so is there a trick to cutting them, or just chop them off?

Every fruit has a direct link to the top growth and to a specific section of the root system. I don't think you want to cut off the (top) growth point.  

However, you may want to use a fertilizer with a lower first number and a higher middle number, possibly something meant for flowers.  That should slow down the greenery and encourage the fruits.  Use some Epsom Salts (1 tsp per gallon or plant) to help develop fruit.

Heck, tie it to a rope on the garage if necessary.  All of my plants are all tall this year.

Topping tomatoes is not recommended unless all the fruit you want is set and all it has to do is ripen. You can remove suckers or side shoots or pinch out secondary growth tips to keep the plant bushier. Topping inhibits blossoming the setting of fruit. The plant will put a lot of energy into developing a new growth tip.

I suckered all of my tomatoes one year and it seemed to me that I got less fruit however the plant were easier to stake.

All this rain is causing things to grow like Jack's beanstalk. Wonderful, but hard to deal with.

None of that helps with those six foot tomatoes though does it? You don't necessarily have to stake tomatoes; they are quite happy growing along the ground. You could pull the stakes and let them flop. Your fruit won't be quite as clean and "things" tend to take bites. Or you could try growing them back down. Stretch a couple of guy wires and tie the tops to them.

Next year plant "determinant" tomatoes. They self limit as to how tall they will grow.  

Thanks for the advice, I won't clip them. They're in that self-watering planter, so they'll have to stay upright.

I never had plants this high in my garden. I guess they really like that steady supply of water.

Oh, forgot about those. I wound up supporting my giant orchid stalk from above. A line down from some overhead structure?

I've never really had a tomato plant break from its own weight and it shouldn't really grow more than a couple of feet taller. I think you'll be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my tomatoe plants are located inside a fenced in area and are growing tall fast. I do have a couple that are planted in other gardens and there are a couple of the plants inside the fence that have tops that can be reached from outside the fence. The deer trim those back every year. I have found that the ones with natural tops that haven't been chewed off by deer tend to produce better.

I let them grow, they slowed down a lot so it didn't become a problem. Seemed like once the got so tall the lower branches took over and grew more. Lots of nice tomatoes, but no ripe ones yet. I guess that 78 days will hold true.

I let them grow, they slowed down a lot so it didn't become a problem. Seemed like once the got so tall the lower branches took over and grew more. Lots of nice tomatoes, but no ripe ones yet. I guess that 78 days will hold true.

Even indeterminate tomatoes are self limiting. Height is probably determined  by tomato type, available nutrition and water and length of growing season. At some point in the season they do stop growing and concentrate on setting and ripening fruit.

If you are going to continue to grow tomatoes in the self-watering containers you probably should look into determinate tomatoes of ones specially developed for container growing. Be warned though that they usually produce less fruit.

Even indeterminate tomatoes are self limiting. Height is probably determined  by tomato type, available nutrition and water and length of growing season. At some point in the season they do stop growing and concentrate on setting and ripening fruit.

If you are going to continue to grow tomatoes in the self-watering containers you probably should look into determinate tomatoes of ones specially developed for container growing. Be warned though that they usually produce less fruit.

I really prefer the indeterminate types, for the bigger yields. But of course I'm living in the past, when I had a real garden. I sprung for the extra tall cage extension so I could grow indeterminates in the container.

Speaking of suckers. How liberal is everyone at plucking the suckers? It has always been a point of argument among many gardeners. I always pick off the first 3 or 4 at the bottom, enough to keep foilage for the ground, then let the rest grow. My Dad always picked most of the suckers off. I don't know if my yields were that much more, but the plants look better anyhow... ;) ;D

I'm finally getting a few tomatoes starting to ripen.... another few days. So I may have ripe fruit at 70-72 days.

I grow the indeterminate for the same reason but every year I swear it is going to be different. I'm short and the tall tomatoes are had to deal with especially as I am usually pressed for time and don't get them tied up when I should. Why do I need all of those tomatoes anyway?

Except for that one year I hardly ever sucker the tomatoes. They seem to support themselves better when the branches are all left on. If I find bites out of the lower tomatoes so be it. The critters have to eat too. As you can see I'm much more relaxed about sharing tomatoes than I am about having my plants eaten.

I grow the indeterminate for the same reason but every year I swear it is going to be different. I'm short and the tall tomatoes are had to deal with especially as I am usually pressed for time and don't get them tied up when I should. Why do I need all of those tomatoes anyway?

Except for that one year I hardly ever sucker the tomatoes. They seem to support themselves better when the branches are all left on. If I find bites out of the lower tomatoes so be it. The critters have to eat too. As you can see I'm much more relaxed about sharing tomatoes than I am about having my plants eaten.

LOL... ;D  Yeah, I'd probably get plenty of tomatoes from determinate plants. But it just that thing of getting the most out of your money, and even more so your time, even if you do end up with more tomatoes than you can give away.... :)

none of mine are ripe yet, but when they start to turn I'm gonna have my hands full. They are all so heavy from so much fruit that I have staked and tied them up 3 times already WOOHOO!!! I can't wait for a tomoato sandwich and it looks like lots of sauce and salsa this year!!!

OUr cherry tomatoes are the size of golf balls this year. We didn't get some of our tomatoes staked, and they seem to be faring okay.

I think you will be okay....if I remember right I think my gramma told me that tomatoes are a naturally vining plant.

Yes, Tomatoes are a vine but some go to a specific size and age, ripen all of their fruit at one time and then die. (Determinate) These are good for canning when you want a lot at one time.

Others like the ones at the greenhouses are (Indeterminate) and will grow till you don't want to deal with the length of the vines (sometimes 40 feet) or they die from the colder temperatures.  These are good for people who want a few at a time for meals and sandwiches, fresh Salsa, etc.

I got some Tree Tomatoes donated this spring and I kept one to see what it would do.  During the last wind storm the top 6 inches got broken off and I'm waiting to see if a sucker near the top will take over or if it's not going to have enough time for repairs and fruit this year.  I'll let you know.

If you staked them you can cut old pantyhose into little rings and tie them to the stakes for support. And you will be able to enjoy the fruit in the fall ! I have a ton of blossoms and green ones also but they aren't turning very fast. And my plants are really tall. My friend trimmed and lost one of her plants, listen to your seasoned gardeners advise I do ! Lol good luck.

If you aren't already using Tomato or Flower food on them, you may want to try it.  It makes fruits and flowers develop faster than the leaves.

Also, if there is a threat of frost and you can't cover them, just pull them out by the roots and hang them upside down in the garage.  You can make Green Tomato Mincemeat too.  It's wonderful. They will still ripen using the leftover energy in the plant stems and leaves.  If you have a really cold place where they will not freeze, roll them in newspaper, about three per roll in case one decides to rot, and unroll them as you need them.  Then they will ripen.  Some people have been able to keep them till Thanksgiving or even Christmas.

I switched most of my plants to Goliath plants thhis year and have been pleased so far. I have been picking and eating them for a little more than a week now. The tomatoes are meaty with few seeds. I haven't had any ripe ones on our Pounder plants yet but, they are moving along. My Granny Smith plants got a late start and now have tomatoes about the size of tennis balls now. I will wait a little longer and start picking the Granny Smith tomatoes. They are a green tomatoe that doesn't turn red. If you are into green tomatoes, I HIGHLY recommend Granny Smith. We have been growing them for years and they haven't let us down yet.  

If the weather doesn't turn warmer I'm going to be stuck with a lot of green tomatoes. There have been years when I had to pick the tomatoes green and ripen them in the basement. I sure hope this isn't going to be one of them. I do have a bunch of them this year.

If the weather doesn't turn warmer I'm going to be stuck with a lot of green tomatoes. There have been years when I had to pick the tomatoes green and ripen them in the basement. I sure hope this isn't going to be one of them. I do have a bunch of them this year.

Same here, I have a gazillion green tomatoes and have been frying them for weeks, but no ripe ones, except for some cherry ones.