GoDuBois.com

Japanese Beetles

Petee

This is more of a trap than a cure all, but if they are put where they will not be near any of your garden plants, it could reduce the Adult population.  You could also add a couple of geese which love Japanese Beetles, a soil treatment of Bacillus popilliae (milky spore disease) and do some hand picking.  Reducing the breeding adults will pay off the following season.

Japanese Beetle Mix

This recipe is to be used in the height of the Japanese Beetle season.

Ingredients:

? 1 cup water

? 1/4 cup sugar

? 1 mashed banana

? 1 pkg yeast

Mix all ingredients in a milk jug. Place the jug (with the top off) in an area where Japanese Beetles gather. The bugs go in but not out.

A very organic way to go after those beetles.

http://www.emilycompost.com/pests.htm

Two weeks ago I noticed the first ones and yesterday my flowers were starting to thin out .Last year we used the yard bags and I think it just brought more to my yard and my neighbors didnt have any. Can the sevin be sprayed directly on the flowers?

Two weeks ago I noticed the first ones and yesterday my flowers were starting to thin out .Last year we used the yard bags and I think it just brought more to my yard and my neighbors didnt have any. Can the sevin be sprayed directly on the flowers?

The traps will attract Japanese beetles. You should place them far from your plants. Sevin is what I use on everything. I find the powder is more easily used than the spray. Yes, it can be sprayed directly on the flowers. Read the cautions on the bag.

The traps will attract Japanese beetles. You should place them far from your plants. Sevin is what I use on everything. I find the powder is more easily used than the spray. Yes, it can be sprayed directly on the flowers. Read the cautions on the bag.

We made the huge mistake of using the traps last year, ugh! We still have the beetles this year, but not as bad as last year.

Guest Tracy96

I was outside with a bucket of soapy water picking the beetles off of my tree and I forgot the bucket outside.  It is sitting under my tree w/all the dead beetles in but the funny thing is....my tree doesn't seem to be getting more beetles.  I decided to leave the bucket there.  Is it possible that the live beetles can sense or smell the dead ones?

I was outside with a bucket of soapy water picking the beetles off of my tree and I forgot the bucket outside.  It is sitting under my tree w/all the dead beetles in but the funny thing is....my tree doesn't seem to be getting more beetles.  I decided to leave the bucket there.  Is it possible that the live beetles can sense or smell the dead ones?

I once read something about a bug spray that was made of ground up bugs. As you say, the idea was that a dead bug would warn off the others. I tried it (disgusting!) and found I just attracted more of same. I'm guessing that it was pheromones from either the males, females or both that remained in the liquid that was bringing them in. I tried it on squash bugs.

The old dead ones in a bucket might just have the opposite effect once the pheromones were destroyed. Gotta get rid of those! That is the way the traps work and you know what those danged beetles are alway doing when they aren't chewing up leaves.

I say if it works, use it and keep us posted.

We have a problem with crows, too.  God, how I hate those birds! They go to our fruit trees and peck away at the fruit until it falls on the ground and then they feast. I told hubby that I'm so sick of them that I feel like gettting out the bb gun and shooting them. (I'm not a violent person, lol) A friend of his told him the other day that if you kill one of them and let it lay, other crows will stay away? Ewwww, but I'm just about to the point of giving it a try. :)

There are only so many Japanese Beetles hatched out every year.  There's not a limitless supply, although it may seem so, so any that you kill or remove will not be able to lay eggs for next year.  

We just came from a neighbor's house and they tried putting the Beetle traps way away from their trees.  It's working.