GoDuBois.com

Wood Quarantines Enacted For "Thousand Cankers" Disease In Pa.

mr.d

I wonder if this is what is behind all my blue spruce trees dying.  However, it is the bottom limbs on my trees that are losing all their needles and it works its way up from there.  Does anyone know about this?  Can I save my trees?  My other trees, evergreens included, are not affected.

Guest tompepper

If you are close to the road it could be the brine they use on the road.it killed my ceaders and my holly. if you drive around and look along the road you will see a lot of evergreens dying.

Anything that attacks walnut trees is unlikely to affect blue spruce. This was a bad winter for all conifers. The cold and winds caused a lot of winter kill. If this is an ongoing thing and not just something that happened over the winter you might look at this web site to try to diagnose it.  

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/assistance/backyard/treecare/forest_health/whitesprucediagnosis.pdf

I wonder if this is what is behind all my blue spruce trees dying.  However, it is the bottom limbs on my trees that are losing all their needles and it works its way up from there.  Does anyone know about this?  Can I save my trees?  My other trees, evergreens included, are not affected.

This affects Walnut which is a major wood crop in Pennsylvania.  The Ash was the last major loss.  Hemlock will be going too as the Hemlock Wooley Adelgid spreads.  Most of these are invasive diseases and insects.

If you call the Extension office in Brookville, 849-7361, they will have a Penn State Master Gardener diagnose your trees for free.  You can get info in person, by e-mail or by phone, your choice.  It's a free service from Penn State.