GoDuBois.com

Help!

millers7

Hey everyone I have a problem and would like suggestions on what to do. My house has fleas and this is my first time ever dealing with it before with all my experiences and animals that have come and gone through the house. We have a small cat and he got out and was left out over night and now it seems there is fleas all through the house. We are remodeling and taring up carpets and it seems that when u walk across the floor there is just fleas everywhere. Our cat gets flea treated monthly as suppose to we are using pet armor from walmart. But I was wondering on what I could do to get rid of them we tried vaccuming like crazy and giving the cat a bath in dawn dish soap but can't seem to get rid of them please help we will try anything

I have heard sprinkling Borax (like the stuff for laundry) on the carpets at bedtime, then vacuuming it up in the morning helps. For the cat, I have had better luck with the flea prevention stuff from the vet. (The kind you put behind their neck) we never had success with the off brands.

we buy advantix at petco for Wiener Dog. LC doesn't go outside unless hubby has the bilco doors open which isn't that often. She has never had fleas except when we brought her home ... she was a barn cat, now she is a sit in front of the a.c. cat ...lol

Yeah our cat isn't infested with them or anything but from what I read on the internet was to start with the animals which we have one cat now and he doesn't go out usually but we had a birthday party and he was out and didn't realize it and he was out all night then a week later there is fleas all over the house. He got his flea treatment for te month at the end of aug. It was a three months supply maybe we need to try a new kind. We also gave him a bath in dawn dish soap and he had a lot come off dead but not like a million. Does anyone know if bombs are okay to use with children in the house and being pregnant? I haven't seen the borax thing with all the research I did maybe we will try that. We only have carpet in two rooms at the moment from remodeling the rest is hard wood floors. I went through each room and vaccumed them and all the cracks. Any suggestions on the best bombs to use

you will have to leave the house when you set them off, including your pets. It doesn't matter is you have hardwood floors or carpets, fleas will live there. It doesn't matter how much you vaccum either, fleas will escape the bag in the vaccum. We used Spectracide bombs.

If I were you, I would use Frontline topical for on your animal.  Walmart brands don't work nearly as well or as long.  You can get this at the vet, Petco, or Tractor Supply.  I get Frontline plus.  Costs but works.  Make sure you get the cat kind for cat and dog kind for dog!  An animal can be harmed if not.  I agree with the above folks who say to get the flea bomb.  They work.  Just make sure you leave the house, and follow the instructions.  Don't leave the pets in there either while the bomb is going off.

I used to have that problem often, because I didn't want to spend the extra money for the bombs and Frontline. I thought I could just "clean" them away. Didn't work.

Ever since I bombed the house really good (every breathing thing out of the house for a few hours ) and started with the Frontline, we have had no problems. It's been a few years and I will never go without it again.

The bombs are much safer than they used to be, I suppose. Poison is poison, though, read the instructions. And Frontline every month May-October.

The teeny tiny white spiders in my house are a whole 'nother thing. I can't find a way to get rid of them. But they don't bite, like fleas.

He's at the end of his pet armor for the three months so I am just gonna try frontline here at the end of the month when it's time to give him his treatment. And in the meantime borax and bomb like crazy thanks everyone luckly we don't have any bites that I have noticed on the kids but have seen them all over my socks when I have walked through the room ugh

I have heard sprinkling Borax (like the stuff for laundry) on the carpets at bedtime, then vacuuming it up in the morning helps. For the cat, I have had better luck with the flea prevention stuff from the vet. (The kind you put behind their neck) we never had success with the off brands.

Borax is good stuff. I put on the ground where my dog goes out and have never had a problem with fleas or tics. Its good for killing ants too.

Borax is probably the safest product to use. Vacuum your furniture, drapes, carpets, beds, and any fabric areas well. Sprinkle everything with Borax before you goto bed. First thing in the morning vacuum it all well. Repeat once a week till you see no more fleas. Go to the vet and get some flea meds also.

A friend of mine was using Borax on her carpets.  Same as what was said here.  We have used Frontline Plus and had good luck with it.  Our Vet likes Advantix.   You could flea bomb the house.  Make sure you read instructions on the can before doing.   Something else we did when we had a flea problems was spray the yard.  You can buy a bottle of stuff that hooks to a hose and treat the yard also.   I know treat the yard around the house seemed to make a differences also.  We sprayed directly around the house where the dogs were being tied out to go potty.    

When you use one type and brand of flea treatment too long, the pet builds up an immunity to it.  It was suggested by the Vet to us to use Frontline one summer, and Advantage the next, and then Frontline the next so the pet cannot build up an immunity to one type and that will make both equally effective.  Makes sense to me same as people with allergies have to change allergy meds every so often so as not to build up an immunity to it or any other med for that matter.   If you get Frontline, wherever you cat goes in the house and lays down, the frontline will work on that surface and help rid the fleas from your house as well.  Anywhere your pet with Frontline sits or lays, the fleas in that area will go away.  Then next year go back to the Advantage or whatever you are using now or a different kind altogether, then after that back to Frontline and you will have the same effects every year and get rid of those fleas.  Borax, the fleas eat it and it dries up their insides and then they die so it takes time.  The bomb will work the most efficient since you are infested but be prepared to close all your windows, make sure all your food supplies and staples are tightly shut up (preferably in plastic bins then put in cupboards or closed closets with a towel at the bottom of the door to seal it from the bomb.  And have someone who is not pregnant set the bombs off and after 8 hours go back in and dispose of them opening all your windows and doors for at least an hour or 2 before you and the children enter again.  Then you will have to wipe off any and all surfaces with a bleach cleaning solution...your counters, tabletops, stove, coffee tables, trays, desks, and anywhere else that you and litlte hands would be to remove any bomb residue from them.  Then vacuum ALL of your carpeting to collect the dead fleas.  Repeat again a week or 2 later to get any that are newly hatching, and put Frontline on that cat to keep any new ones from coming in.   It's a mess to clean up once it happens so prevention is best.   Sounds like your cat just grew and immunity to the Advantage after having it all the time.  Personally, we only put Advantage on ours 4 months of the year and use nothing during the Winter and early spring months so that an immunity is not built up.  About March we put 1 on our pets, then we wait 6 weeks between instead of doing it every 4 and then about October stop using it altogether and that keeps the immunity from building up so we can keep with the cheap stuff :)

Thanks book writer That makes perfect scenes we haven't had our kitty that long since about feb and didn't start flea treat mentas till about April when we or his shots all taken care of but I did buy some frontline and I am going to stick with that for a lil and switch it up The fleas seem to be the worst upstairs after we tore up the carpets doesn't seem to be downstairs we did the borax down stairs last night and I vaccumed it up so maybe it helped we have borax on the floors upstairs now and going to vaccume it up before bed then bombing this weekend since we have a birthday party at the park and can be out for several hrs Praying this works thanks for your knowledge