GoDuBois.com

Seeds!

Petee

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

It depends on what you are planting. You want to get most seeds in about 6 weeks before you set them out. Our last frost date is May 30 so you still have time. Check the back of the seed packet for the starting date for whatever you want to plant for timing. I always like to give them a couple of extra weeks so you have time to harden them off and if germination is slow they will still be ready.

My daughter cut off a flower from her Gerber Daisy last fall and I put it in an envelope.

Two weeks ago, I spread the entire flower in dirt to see what would happen....well....

if they keep growing, I will have many gerbers!  Any suggestions???????

I love planting...thank you Petee and my dear friend Elizabeth for getting me hooked.

Congratulations, you are officially a successful seed saver!! :-)

You will probably want to divide them into individual growing containers when they have their second set of leaves, counting the seed leaves/first set of real leaves.  I have containers!

Cannas do that. I think we gave hundreds of them away one year at Community Days. There were soooooooooo many after a few years.

I've heard that the Japanese beetles are a problem with them. They don't bother the cannas where I have been growing them but then there aren't many Japanese Beetles around there. Have you seen any on yours?

Guest snellma

If anyone wants to get rid of come canna's I will take them.  Let me know how much it would cost to ship them to me and I will send you the money.  Send me a p.m. if you are interested.

You just never know where you are going to find what bug or what those danged groundhogs and deer are going to eat. Unless you are at Treasure Lake where they eat everything.

Snellma, I don't know what the canna situation is yet this year. They are big heavy tubers and it might be cheaper to buy them than ship them. Of course parcel post is a lot cheaper than first class if your aren't in a hurry.

Guest snellma

I can pick them up in Sept. when I make my trip home for grapes if that is the case.  Just let me know.  Maybe we can find something to trade.  Anything anyone wants from down here in exchange for something up there.

We dig the cannas after the several good hard frosts have knocked down the foliage. That is usually into October.  I like to dig when the tops have totally dried or you are dealing with slimy vegetation and these are huge heavy clumps.  Let me clean up what I have in the way of cannas and I'll pm you.  

I usually put the ones that go on the embankment into pots for a month or so to give them a good start. I could keep you a pot or we'll see what the cleaned up tubers weigh. They are stored with some dirt on to keep them from drying out.

My  canna's were regrettably left outside under my patio, they were rotten...uck...

but I just started a couple hundred other seeds tonight...we'll see it they take.

My Gerber Daisy's are sprouting,  so are the Giant Marigolds.....

My father-in-law is way ahead of me on the tomatoes though.

I tried my first experiment with teeny plug trays that have about 244 holes in them.  I also planted a couple hundred seeds today.  Some of them were smaller than salt.  I think I'm cross-eyed now!