GoDuBois.com

1978 Pic Of Penfield Snow Storm

Bon

I'm thinking it's either going south of Penfield and its Bundys fields. Starting where the Municipal Building is now and heading towards DuBois.  My other thought is up by Johnston Nursery on 153 headed towards I-80/Clearfield.

Guest tompepper

Givin the RR style poles in the right of the picture and what appears to be tracks behind it I would say it is a train.I enlarged the pic and it appears to be a train.and what are the 3 guys and the left carrying?

Guest tompepper

It may be a line of school buses cause they didn't call school off a lot in them days.Heck I used to walk to school,bare foot,up hill both ways in 2 feet of snow.they never called it off.

From the News-Gazette:

The Missouri-Pacific Railroad northeast of Penfield drifted closed by a blizzard, on Jan. 28, 1978.

http://www.news-gazette.com/multimedia/photogallery/2014-02-24/archives-winter-black-and-white

Bon, I am betting this is near where I lived....that's a straight shot like that with fields. The tracks that are still active are behind the creek.  But there is an old railroad grade right along 255 that people 4-wheeler on now. not sure which track this was, but I am betting this is right before Mill Run. 

More on B&W photos ...

Last week, The News-Gazette's Facebook page helped reunite families that hadn't touched base in more than 35 years.

After we posted a 1978 picture of train engines stuck in a snow drift along what was then the Missouri-Pacific Railroad northeast of Penfield (check it out here), Jared Stanfield wrote that he, too, was stranded that day on an engine between Sidney and Urbana and that "a farmer named ray hudson rescued us with a tractor."

Well, guess who saw that post? Ray Hudson's son, Cecil, who responded: "Funny thing when I saw the picture that was the first thing I thought of but I never got any names of the guys he rescued till now."

Cecil Hudson, now 59 and farming in southeast Urbana, said his late father